What bike?

Piers

Afternoon...

Looking into getting myself a bike. Im on the fence with what type of bike to get. Im tempted by a hybrid as i will be using it to get to and from work but wouldnt mind something with lock off front suspension for trails at weekends as there are some nice locations near me.

Iv not really had a proper look yet but want to pop into a few bike shops in Derby and see whats on offer. Im going to get the bike through the bike to work scheme so it gives me upto £1000, i need to get accesories too like helmet etc so probably looking to spend upto £800 on the bike itself.

One that did catch my eye is the Felt QX75, anyone got/seen/riden one of these? experiences?

QX752012.jpg

The only thing that puts me off slightly is the lack of suspension, my brother is obsessed with bikes, he has a shed full of them (before anyone says have one of his, i want a brand new one to suit me - he has jump bikes, trial bikes and stuff like that so wouldnt fit my needs). He has suggested i get something with lock off forks so its still good for road use but if i did want to do trails at the weekend i can have the suspension for comfort. As much as i hate to admit it, my brother has a point.

Does anyone have a bike that they use for similar purposes or have any reccomendations on what to buy?

Im hoping to get it all sorted by this week and will be going to Samways in derby (big shop) to see what they have one night.

Thanks Piers

Do you still get funds of ride to work scheme if you build up a custom?

Best way too go!

Honestly not sure... It has to be from a shop that is approved. so i suppose if the shop does "build to spec" then i cant see why not.

ive got a cube reaction pro although it was about £1400 you may be able to get the lower spec one as there great bikes for the trails and have lock off. not been to samways for a while but i think they have mainly specialized hardtails. if you can get second hand bikes on the scheme i would try that as you'll be able to pick up alot better bike for the money

whatever you get, go for last years model, new models are released september time so you should be able to get a better bike for the same price, and haggle you will be amazed what you can get, i got a voucher for £250 when i bought my mountain bike.

yer i know that evans will be having the 2013 stock in in 14 days :)

I was speaking to a sales guy ayt Alpine Bikes about hybrids vs road bikes. He said more than 50% of males who buy hybrids come back 6 months later wishing they had bought a road bike.

There's a review of sub £800 road bikes in one of the Cycling mag's this month, can't remember which one and I'm sitting 500 miles away from it at the mo'.

I think your right Ray. my brother made the point that they are a "useless bike" to some extent. they are neither here or there. not a drop bar road bike and not a cross country trial bike. He said if i want a road bike buy a road bike. if i want something to so trials get a hardtail with lock off fronts.

whatever you get, go for last years model, new models are released september time so you should be able to get a better bike for the same price, and haggle you will be amazed what you can get, i got a voucher for £250 when i bought my mountain bike.

This! Definitely wait for the 2013 models to come out. If it were me, I'd be looking at a full suspension with a lock out rear shock too - best of all worlds. If you use it for commuting too, get some semi-slick tyres for the road use then swap to the knobblies for the weekend trail use.

Thanks for the input Huw, id definately get something with semi slicks on. im not going to be doing anything other than designated paths really. no woodland or anything like that so not too bothered about nobbly's. Im going to look in the bike shop straight from work today and hopefully sort out my quote so i can get the ball rolling. the decision will be made tonight!

Its definately going to be a hard tail with lock off front suspension and semi slicks. Something lightweight and a cool colour ;) maybe silver and blue because im dead sad! might get something with fancy brakes too. Might aswell go all out.

Thanks for the input folks. i will let you know what i choose

Thanks for the input Huw, id definately get something with semi slicks on. im not going to be doing anything other than designated paths really. no woodland or anything like that so not too bothered about nobbly's. Im going to look in the bike shop straight from work today and hopefully sort out my quote so i can get the ball rolling. the decision will be made tonight!

Its definately going to be a hard tail with lock off front suspension and semi slicks. Something lightweight and a cool colour ;) maybe silver and blue because im dead sad! might get something with fancy brakes too. Might aswell go all out.

Thanks for the input folks. i will let you know what i choose

then get a bike rack and carry it everywhere with you on the gti ;) stuff the roof box use a bike

Ok. Bike ordered. Agreed to have the specialized curve 2012 model. Got to the till and they had none. The one on show was sold already. Not even specialized had any.

So the guy went through similar bikes and I have eventually settled for the trek cobia 2013 model. Comes with some good stuff. 29" wheel. Didn't have a hybrid in the end. Hardtail with lock off front forks. Air suspension ;) instead of hydraulic. Unfortunately I didn't actually see the bike. Just a picture as they didn't have one in. Applying for the voucher tomorrow and once that arrives I can call the shop to tell them. They will then build the bike up and I can collect it :)

2545-0-full-cobia2013blu_fr-28.jpg

Frame

Alpha Gold Aluminum, butted & hydroformed tubing, G2 Geometry

Front suspension

Rockshox Recon Silver w/Solo Air, lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel

Size

17.5"

Wheels

Shimano M475 alloy hubs w/Bontrager AT-850 32-hole double-walled rims

Tires

Bontrager 29-2, 29x2.2"

Shifters

SRAM X5, 10 speed

Front derailleur

Shimano Deore

Rear derailleur

SRAM X5

Crank

SRAM S800, 44/33/22

Cassette

SRAM PG-1030 11-36, 10 speed

Pedals

Wellgo nylon platform

Saddle

Bontrager Evoke 1

Seatpost

Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 12mm offset

Handlebar

Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep

Stem

Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree

Headset

1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings

Brakeset

Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes

Grips

Bontrager Race

Edited by Piers

youll be expecting like up to £50 taken out your salary pre tax :) so in some casses your not paying as much tax and just putting it into a nice bike

it depends how much you spend too. you have upto £1000 to spend. The specialized was £900 reduced from £1100. The trek was £850 and its the 2013 model so dead chuffed. Its about £70 a month pre tax which ends up about £30/£40 a month after tax. not worth worrying about really... i will save that in fuel in a week!