£60 fine for having LEGAL plates!!

matt123roll

Moaning about other peoples plates doesn't make this case any less or more wrong

I know, and I'm not moaning. I'm not the one paying 60 pounds am I?

The way I see it the way the plates are being sold isn't legal as they aren't checking the documents, however the plates themselves meet all the regulations so it could be argued in court. You're screwed if anyone mentions the document checking thing though. Best stick to dubmeister imo.

Yeah surely koop's right. The physical plates may be legal but i thought that for everything to be done legally the company selling the plates had to see the original doc's?

In theory I COULD argue the plates came on the car. which would cover my end for the fine of using them on the road if they are fully legal, the penalty of not having records would be for the manufacture IMO but it was all probably a bad idea from day 1 just didn't want to risk my documents disappearing in the post as I really really really really dont trust Royal Mail

Maybe this is me being silly but, why don't you just send the guy on ebay on email (and £20) and ask him if he could put down in writing that you went to his premises and showed him the documents before making the reg's, then as long as the plates are legal they can't touch you, end of.

That isnt the basis for issuing the ticket so wouldnt affect anything.

Really? Not what I've been reading.... as I mentioned, if the plates are legal then he doesn't have to pay the fine.

Really? Not what I've been reading.... as I mentioned, if the plates are legal then he doesn't have to pay the fine.

But the police didn't pull him over and give him a fine because he bought them off ebay though did they?

In my opinion, the real issue lies with DVLA\BNMA. If they are going to certify manufacturers to sell plates of this style (ignoring the fact that they were purchased fom eBay), then they need to educate the police.

Even though you have paid the fine, I would write a polite letter to DVLA\BNMA explaining the situation, with all the available documentation, stating how confusing things have been.

In my opinion, the real issue lies with DVLA\BNMA. If they are going to certify manufacturers to sell plates of this style (ignoring the fact that they were purchased fom eBay), then they need to educate the police.

Even though you have paid the fine, I would write a polite letter to DVLA\BNMA explaining the situation, with all the available documentation, stating how confusing things have been.

Yeah thanks silver, I'm going to be contacting the DVLA about the seller anyway saying he offered the plates for sale as road legal as I feel if I'm paying a penalty he should too as he is either falsely stamping them as BSAU145d certified or something else is a miss

But the police didn't pull him over and give him a fine because he bought them off ebay though did they?

Agreed, but as other people have mentioned, if he goes to court and tells them he bought them off eBay, without the manufacture seeing the correct documents then it will deteriorate his chances of succeeding, (not paying the fine). :thumbup: