Re-lining door cards?

• 2 weeks later...

I've started to reline mine today, i'm using faux leather, so its not very strectchy? how can i bend and stretch it aroud the tricky bits in the door cards?

Will a heat gun help? :unsure:

Do it exactly as you just said tbh. Let the glue go tacky then stretch it into place. In the tight corners what i did was put something heavy on it that had a similar profile to the door card and leave it for a while so that it sets.

Edt: I never used a heat gun

Bit of heat and a sand bag to push into te spaces and to leave there's will the glue goes off helps

Don't use cheap glue it'll lift in the nooks after a very short time using specific car upholstery glue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's some good tips above & progress pics in my build thread from when I did mine

Ok then karisma, would you be able to give any tips on using the brush on? Im doing my car very similar to the first set of pics you posted with the red door cards, using faux leather vinyl. My problem is, when applying brush on to the material, i cant get an even spread and it ends up all patchy and over saturated in some areas and pretty scarse in others. Can you shed some light on good adhesives to use and what kind of brush/spatula to use?

Also on a similar note, when i pulled off the original fabric, it took chunks of the door card with it and left it all fibrous, and it has shown through the fabric where i have covered it. I was thinking, when i redo them, to just get some fiberglass resin to smooth things over and sort out the patching. Is that a good idea or would it have problems with adhesion?

I don't mind giving advice but the adhesive an upholsterer uses is his biggest kept secret as it will make or break his work so unfortunately I can't disclose what i use but it is brush on and contact adhesive in a tin.

Trx33 - the issues with it being patchy maybe lumpy in areas is something I've encountered but I believe it is solved through experience and learning the product. I buy the cheapest brushes I can get and throw them away after. Also make sure your adhesive is mixed properly and always stored at the correct temperature.

With regard to your issue with removing the old material and using fibreglass, well I did the same on the lupo ones I retrimmed. Make sure before you recover with new material to sand the fibreglass with some 80 grit.

Cheers

Sean

Here's another pic of my work. Custom smoothed punto mk2 dash ( smoothing etc done by me too )

SAM_0891.jpg

Best tip of all - never use spray glue!

Need to use a brush on contact adhesive. I do car interiors everyweek and I wouldn't use anything else.

I don't mind giving advice but the adhesive an upholsterer uses is his biggest kept secret as it will make or break his work so unfortunately I can't disclose what i use but it is brush on and contact adhesive in a tin.

Well that's really helpful :rolleyes:

"Never use spray glue! I'm not going to tell you what to use though, you have to guess!"

Well done.