To scrap or not to scrap- advice please!

jodiec

My garage have just told me today that my lupo needs new clutch/gearbox at a cost of about 700 quid. They are very reliable and I've been going there for a long time so trust their judgement and after asking around, 700 quid is about right for the parts/labout for the job. The garage are suggesting its not worth repairing.

It's an 02 yellow 1 litre lupo with 88000 miles on the clock so its not exactly past its best but there's a bit of cosmetic damage that is easily repaired but I've just not got round to it.

My options are-

1. Pay for the clutch to be repaired, fix the bump and wingmirror and sell it

2. scrap it, and get something else but they've only offered me about 150 quid for it and although I don't know much about cars, with tyres, engine and all the other bits and pieces that people could use that are in working order I'd say it's worth more than that.

Was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it for parts or could suggest anywhere that might take it for more than 150 quid.

Any ideas?!

Get it fixed. Lupo's of this age go for over £1500 + and with good service history it is more enticeing for a buyer.

and you are right on the second point, it also depends on what option you have on the car as well as it may be easier to strip it for bits and you would get more money.

You could get parts from breakers or peeps on here breaking loops to save some dorrar

Second hand gearbox £100-150 notes, new clutch kit 60-80, halfords pro range tool set 100 notes.

Get cracking

The garage said that the scrap yard would give me about 150 for it. Doesn't seem a lot for a car that's basically in working order. I know the gearbox/clutch need doing but that's not exactly a massive job if you know what you're doing, just a bit of an expense. I know lupos tend to hold their money from the research I've done which is why I'm not sure whether to just pay for the repairs.

Am in Scarborough, North Yorkshire!

Well I was driving back from somewhere and the gears were very stiff to change, sometimes they wouldn't even go into a gear at all and I had to stick in 5th. A couple of times it slipped into neutral from 5th. When reversing the car kind of shudders which i think is linked to the clutch wearing out.

also if you go for a 2nd hand box, approach your local collage (if they run a mechanics course) and see if they need a car for the students to work on! (all work would be supervised/checked) cheap as chips :)

also if you go for a 2nd hand box, approach your local collage (if they run a mechanics course) and see if they need a car for the students to work on! (all work would be supervised/checked) cheap as chips :)

could even be free! i know when people bring cars into the workshop at college the works carried out for free!