What would you do?

mcbeal_88

Hi been a member on here for years not been on for ages but had the chance to get another gti and im struggling to decide what to do so looking for some advice.

I currently have a 2003 bora tdi 130 with 86k on it and been offered a swap for an 03 plate gti with 76k fsh nice wheels. only thing is its a cat d.now this doeant put me off too much buy what would everyone else think to this.going on my car having a value of about 3k would this be a worthwhile swap or should i wait and get a lupo another day :s any input much appreciated

I think the lupo gti seems like more of a nicer car inside and probably more fun to drive in standard form. But the bora would be nicer to you on economy, space and one remap will happily see that engine 170hp :) But I got a big soft spot for the gti so personally I'd pick the lupo. and that bora is on low mileage so you should also see some money your way as that is also a cat c.

Yeh what i dont know what money the lupo is worth tbh as it is cat d and the bora is abit well boring loved my gti and no longer need something so big.just dont want to loose out if the lupo is only going to be worth 2k and we would be doing a straight deal

well to be honest you could fetch £3.5k for your car with that mileage and the cat d lupo yo me is worth about £2k maybe just wait it out sell your car and get a gti that isnt damaged repaired or to save hassle just do the straight swap lol

Can you find out what the damage was to the Lupo which caused it to be written off? Lupo GTIs are written off pretty easily by insurance companies, so it could just be cosmetic and body damage, particularly the alloy panels. Receipts for work etc?

Also how long do you intend on keeping it? If you are looking to keep it past a couple of years and keep it's service and maintenenace up, then I don't see an issue and £3k seems, depending on the damage\repair, a reasonable figure.

However, if you are looking for a small car to play with over the summer then punt it on, you may not gain back what you have spent.

Only real person who can answer your question is you, but for me the crunch would be in what was damage\repaired and how was it fixed.

Parkers say the value is:

Private Good: £3,530

Private Poor: £2,465

Part Exchange: £2,805

I reckon a price of £2.5k for the Lupo.

And the Bora SE 1.9TDi 130PS

Private Good: £2,750

Private Poor: £2,250

Part Exchange: £2,375

So maybe offer your car for the Lupo and £250.

Go and have a good look at it, If you have a frendly mechanic get it up on a ramp and have a good look around.

If your happy then do it if not then dont,

value wise i dont think there is much in it

try and get him to throw some cash your way and your onto a winner

Angelo

A cat D is nothing.

I'd do it as tbf, a Loop GTI regardless of a write off is still worth more than a Bora.

Bora's have depreciated a lot and it's just going to get worse. Loops are holding their value.

The problem with CAT D is that everyone is put off straight away but it could be something as simple as a headlight that needed changing... or just a wing. if the car looks straight and your happy with it go for it...

but consider your options as there are a lot of Gti's selling at VERY low prices at the moment....

Going to see it on saturday will have a good look check all shut lines etc as said could be minor things that caused it.but seeing as it happened when it was 3yrs old im not sure but the price of headlights and alu panels so would justify it

yeah i know what your saying mate... i know the headlights are expensive brand new... but its hard to say unless there is history with the CatD. i know personally, i would take pics of the damage and then pics of it repaired to prove that it was only minor. luckily im not in that position tho.

Hope the viewing go's ok either way mate :)