Wanting a GTI for christmas :)

mrtsbrother

Hi there, after the sad dimise of my clio via a cambelt that decided to exit stage left I am now in the market for a lupo GTI. Is there anywhere where I can find simple model information such as what changed over the years, when they were produced etc etc?

I am not after a heavily modified car and would (obviously) like as low milage as feasible - although I appreciate below 50k is probably a low miler given age?

Sorry, but you are probably asked the same question every day on here, but I am new to the VW world...

....so really after information and possibly put in touch with people thinking of selling in the next couple of months. I would prefer to buy off somebody who has had a genuine interest in the car (hence asking on a forum and not stumping for the first one on ebay) and knows what they are loking at.

I hear there is a 6 speed version, and this would be preferable. I am felixble on colour, but do like black and red.

Anyway, greatful for anything that you can add.

Nick

n.b. I am in the midlands...

There werent any facelifts or anything, they are all the same barring the 'box (5 or 6 speed) and options (aircon, heated leather, sunroof, that might be it!)

They were made from 2001-2005, there are about 850 left.

There are a few for sale in the cars for sale forum, what kind of budget do you have? Like you say, average mileage for an early one will be over 100k but dont be put off by that - mine is currently on 95k and drives as good now as it did 50k ago.

or wait until the wedding is over and see what change is left in the pot :)

That is a tight budget to get a tidy GTI. I would not sell mine for less than 5k for example (not selling anymore) and been offered 4.5k from a VW dealer with my mods removed.

Edited by Mike_M

I had the same budget as you and there are plenty GTi's out there for you to choose from, I looked at several before getting the one I fancied just a few weeks ago, lots of owners are asking stupid money for their's you see them all the time and they do not sell, if a car is at a good price then it should sell within a week.

Don't forget to check out its MOT history at the DVLA, do not buy the first one you look at, have a good test drive and most of the cars will have summit wrong with them at this budget little scratchs etc so be realistic, you will have to travel to see them I think but the more cars you look at the better your knowledge and you can compare one against the other look at more expensive one's as well to see if you get a better car for the money

Many times you do not its just the owners over estimate of its value. Be wary of paying extra for mod's you do not want, Try and get one with as few owners as possible and you will get the car you want, its a buyers market out there at the moment so do not pay more money than your budget allows and you should get a wee beauty

enjoy and good luck

Edited by outdoor stevie

This tactic has served me well when I have bought cars, as has looking at what tyres it has - quality tyres = looked after car

Yep, nothing worse than mixed tyres or cheap "get through the mot" stuff.

I paid £3500 for mine with 51reg/88k on the clock back in August, I originally bought it to tie me over until my house sells & was going to by a MK5 R32 out of the funds, but I'm rethinking that & may just keep her, she's such a great car to drive & own :shades:

I've had a few nice VAG cars but none has made me smile like the Lupo does..