LPG Conversion

polariskid

Did mention a while back that this was happening but as we've just had our little 1.0L Lupo done and it runs faultlessly I've got mine booked in this week :D So bye bye spare wheel and helloooo cheap fuel!! :) If anyone's interested in specs, pictures or how it's done i can post whenever :)

Cheers,

Tom

Sorry for the late reply, moving house and internet is few and far between :P

The cost is £1000 which does seem a lot i spose but if you do the maths, my conversion will pay for itself in just under a year and it's easy living from there on :)

You can do it yourself but it's highly advisable no to unless you know exactly what you're doing.

And no, there is no performance hit at all. Drove our little 1L down to college yesterday and i'd say if anything it's nippier! :D basically it's just a second tank, LPG vaporizer, multi point injectors and a new LPG fuel management system that is linked into the ECU.

If you don't keep a car for much longer than a year then I'd say don't bother, but if you looking at having it long term and there are filling stations within a 20 mile radius I reckon your mad not to.

Mine's being done at a little place not far from me but LPG Wales i know do the conversion in a day and i think it's a little bit cheaper aswell :)

She's gone in today and i'll keep you all posted on what it's like :)

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers for the link Tom - LPG Wales is about 2 mins from my office. Ellie's been wanting convert her Jeep so need to do the maths on how quick it'll pay for itself, but I think she'll be looking at 6 months to repay.

Glad to be of help guys, the savings can be huge and I'm simply promoting it to save everyone some money :)

Got our 'Fleet' almost done now :) a 4.0L Land Rover Defender, a 4.0L Range Rover (For Sale if anyone's interested ;)), a 4.6L Range Rover, 1.0L Lupo and my 1.4L Lupo Sport :D the annual saving is something ridiculous :D We've never had a single problem with any of the systems :)

Cheers,

Tom

Okay, bad news.

Due to me and the old man not thinking this through at all, we now realise that due to the exhaust on the Sport, it spare wheel compartment only fits a space saver. Not a problem, we thought, just put same tank we had in the little 1.0L and put a false floor over the top (gives me an excuse to put a sub and amp in :D) Yet, no. There is some sort of lip or something preventing us putting in the 35L tank. So I now have 3 options, use a smaller 20L tank that WILL fit in the spare wheel compartment, put two cylindrical 10L on either side of the boot (covered by ply and carpet) or one cussing gurt 50L torpedo tank across the boot (giving me the disadvantage of not having a boot :()

So we've got all the tanks at home to see what looks best and work out what is most practical.

Keep you updated on what we're gonna do when i get home friday.

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, after much debate. I've decided the best option is to put on 10L tank in the spare wheel compartment and one on a corner of the boot (with some ply and carpet over it). She's gone in today, and I'll have her back Friday :) Will post pics and details upon her return. Oh and it's gonna be on display at Castle Coombe for the VAG day if anyone wants to look at the in's and out's of it :)

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 months later...

Sorry for such a hugely late reply but it's done!! I did take it to Castle Combe for the VW day and BEP51 and AlexKid saw it :) Since then I've had my 3rd tank fitted for extended mileage and I'm seeing about 200miles out of the 3 tanks totaling 24L. Meaning I care not for my MPG ;) I'm actually going to take some pics of it now and upload them this afternoon as I've been meaning to for months.

And I also kinda did a boot build on top of the LPG tanks with sub and amp on display :P But it's all safe and has been checked over by my LPG mechanic :)

Pics to follow,

Cheers

Tom

Here are the pics of my Sport and my Mum's Green Peril :)

Firstly here is the engine bay when i bought it

17042011887.jpg

And after it's LPG conversion

Photo0078-1.jpg

Romano Intelligent LPG ECU

Photo0075.jpg

LPG Vapouriser

Photo0076.jpg

Injectors into manifold (very hard to get to and take a picture of :P)

Photo0077.jpg

Filler cap (wet because i washed it)

Photo0090.jpg

Fuel Gauge and Petrol/LPG buttonPhoto0088.jpg

Tanks!!! (Taken from rear seats and under false floor so sorry bout the bad quality)

Photo0083.jpg

Photo0082.jpg

Yeah that is the earth cable attached to the LPG tank :D

Photo0080.jpg

And of course what's on top of the tanks

Photo0089.jpg

Photo0079-1.jpg

And some pics of mother's one

Photo0094.jpg

Vapouriser

Photo0095.jpg

Yeah.... Injectors.... i think :P

Photo0096.jpg

I don't know why this photo is buggered but the tank i wanted

Photo0093.jpg

Photo0092.jpg

And there ya go :)

Any questions please ask, otherwise thought i'd better show every as i believe it's a bit of a first :)

Cheers,

Tom

At what point do you expect to make a return on this invenstment?

Soon.... soon....

Nah I kid, it's looking like around 1 and a half to 2 years before i see my returns. But I have no intentions of selling it for a long time, and even when I do sell. Out comes the LPG kit, and in it goes into a GTi :) Few hundred pounds to refit it, and it continues to save me money all over again :)

You really don't see any sense in this, do you?

Ah cheers. Well it makes sense as all of our other cars have been converted and we have bulk tanks at home :) And yeah unfortunately my car had to be different so nothing was straight forward :/ Whereas with Mum's car it was simple as and didn't cost anywhere near what mine did to do. So hers will have paid it's conversion off before the year's out and hers was done at the same time as mine.

Nope not in the slightest, the ECU for the LPG is intelligent so is constantly learning from the original ECU so the longer you have it the better your fuel economy becomes. When i first had mine done the most i saw was 150, now I'm regularly seeing close to 200 miles out of the tanks.