Help can't open bonnet with handle!

rapidebrothers

Hi there I've only had my Lupo about a week but seem unable to open the bonnet with the bonnet release handle!

The handle is very loose & wobbly it feels like it could snap if I try to put pressure on it!

Any advice on what to do would be very much appreciated!

Please help?!!? ;(

i had this problem, you need to pull the front badge off,

there is a piece of fiberglass you can see near the bonnet release mechanism, you need to cut a rectangle out of this on the left hand side, big enough to get some pliers in.

once you have this hole you can put pliers in around the realease wire and pull it till to the left till the bonnet pops.

i have to do it everytime now cos im too lazy to fix it haha

hope this helps :)

Thanks for the comments on this! How do you remove the handle? Do you have to push something in to release it?

Once it's off I should be able to tighten it up!

Thanks again every one! :)

On the rear of the handle there is a wedge shaped insert, pop your key in or a screw driver andflick it out. It will then simply slide off.

This will make alot more sense if you go have a feel being the handle, I promise haha.

• 2 years later...

a certain town, not a million miles from where I live is notorious for hanging monkeys. you'll know what I mean rich?

I can't believe that a problem that could possibly have been sorted by tightening a screw was sorted out in such a butchered fashion. there must have been more to it than that. or, why are people in your neck of the woods selling angle grinders to retards? sorry, mentally challenged people, not allowed to call them stupid lovely persons these days. (oops)

wtf? where did " stupid lovely persons " come from that's not what I said. I said stupid bas^&*ds.

I can't believe that a problem that could possibly have been sorted by tightening a screw was sorted out in such a butchered fashion. there must have been more to it than that. or, why are people in your neck of the woods selling angle grinders to retards? sorry, mentally challenged people, not allowed to call them stupid lovely persons these days. (oops)

I share this sentiment entirely. How anyone could think that the first resort to opening the bonnet is an angle grinder is literally beyond me!

I do need to tighten that screw myself, but for the moment, pushing down, lifting up, works fine :D

Well the damage is done and there's no point in crying over split milk,but given the boyfriend must be a bit hard of thinking ,

A few sensible things could have been tried ,

A direct pull on the cable either down in the footwell after dismantling the lever to get to the cable or worse case ,pull / chop the grill out , a replacement grill is a lot cheaper and easier to replace than a bonnet .

Jacking the car up and trying to pull the cable from underneath may have been worth a go, although there's not a lot room to reach up on the diesels, a bit of research on the net would identify the cable route at least .

If the bonnet has been chopped open , be really careful until its been changed , it'll be weaker and your insurance people would have a blue arsed fit if you have a accident and a third party gets hurt .

Edited by Bigplum