1.4 16v sport engines

Hi guys,

What oil does everyone use for their sport engines? Mine seems to be burning oil like I don't know what. I've always used 10 - 40 semi synathetic, just not sure whether I should be using something thicker?

Any advice would be great,

Thanks,

Emma

The full syntetic oil is the best. But I think that 10w50 is too much. If the motor don't consume oil, I will use "Castrol Edge Sport 0w40"

03560000.jpg

The best protection at cold and good protection at hot temperatures.

It's normal that with this oil, at the beggining consume 200ml aprox.

I've just die an oil change and put 15w40 semi synth in my sport after a fair wad of Reading alot of the golf boys run this in their 1.4 and it's vastly reduced their oil consumption I can't really tell as I've only did about 50 miles since I've done it but I've noticed I don't see as much ploomage out the exhaust andnt as much **** up the back of my boot,

I'll give a proper review once i've ran it a bit longer

it's only cheapo oil was about 12 quid for 5 litres so if I have to change it again I'm not really out of pocket

Edited by jamiea7x

Hhmm well I have a full service booked in for 23rd April so I think i'll get all the oil drained then and start using some slightly thicker stuff. Should I get full synthetic or semi??

Always full syntetic oil :) I will change it between 5000-6000 miles.

@Cooper, What it's your driving style ? 3000miles it's recomended when you drive fast or in a trackdays.

Cheers!

Mine doesnt burn any oil at all.

@YvanOn3:

Basically, i hold it at 6500rpm everyday for almost 2 hours each way. It gets that everyday and has done for the past 6 months commuting to wales from coventry. She's now knocking on the door of 90,000 miles and hasnt missed a beat.

This is the reason for changing the oil/filter as frequently as possible. The oil still looks fairly clean when it comes out, and my dad uses it to top up his oil burning transit! haha!

Edited by Cooper_GTI
Removed boasting about doing nearly double the speed limit.

Thats a bit thick when its cold

In just trying it out , I dont give it any beans till it's fully warmed up which has never taken long in my sport

I'll maybe dump it in a 1000 miles or so and try something else I'm just trying things to try and reduce the consumption .. Slot of golf owners seem to use it with no adverse effects and castrol 15w40 says it's designed fir engines that are burning and consuming oil so I'm giving it a go..

@YvanOn3:

Basically, i hold it at 6500rpm everyday for almost 2 hours each way. It gets that everyday and has done for the past 6 months commuting to wales from coventry. She's now knocking on the door of 90,000 miles and hasnt missed a beat.

This is the reason for changing the oil/filter as frequently as possible. The oil still looks fairly clean when it comes out, and my dad uses it to top up his oil burning transit! haha!

Ur practically redlining it for 2 hours so ur doing in excess of 120mph??

Yea Way to go buddy... Ur so cool

(i read this somewhere)

So it must be true

:lol:

There's a far greater chance that it's worn valve stem seals. This is a common problem on the 1.4 engine however the sport engines are notorious for burning oil anyway.

So it must be true

:lol:

There's a far greater chance that it's worn valve stem seals. This is a common problem on the 1.4 engine however the sport engines are notorious for burning oil anyway.

i have over 5k posts on briskoda and the fabia shares the same engine

read problems about the 16v about a million times

its a well documented problem with the 1.4 16v 100bhp engine ;)

and i've just checked valve stem oil seals, give that man a banana

Edited by Big Jase

Going back ti the question, if I had a 1.4, I would change the oil every 6000 miles or twice a year, use 0w/50(If they make it) or 10w/50.

In the handbook it states, normal oil consumption is 1L per 1000miles for all models. My GTI has used 1/8L in 12months, but the GTI's seem to be pretty good. Strange thing is the GTI probably uses the same stem seals or atleast the same design as the head is basically the same. I feel there is a oil supply issue that contributes to the issues a 1.4 engine has. The 1.4's are well known for failed oil pumps, blocked pick ups, low oil pressure, valve guide wear, stem seal faults, knocking tappets, blocked oil galleries, big end and main bearing failure, oil usage, piston slap, piston ring faults and just about every other engine fault possible. Total VW fail.

I have over 5K posts on here and build engines for a living. Beat that. LOL

@YvanOn3:

Basically, I hold it at 6500rpm everyday for almost 2 hours each way.

May I ask which route you take? Given there isnt a decent motorway that links the two?

Is it really over 240 miles from Wales to Coventry?

You really use £80 of fuel a day just to get to work and back?

May I ask which route you take? Given there isnt a decent motorway that links the two?

Is it really over 240 miles from Wales to Coventry?

You really use £80 of fuel a day just to get to work and back?

How can you say there is no motorway? Its motorway all the way! :lol:

M42, M5, M50, M4.

I have to pick a guy up from near weston super mare on the way, so it kind of adds to the journey, but he covers half the fuel bill and work gives me 30p/mile so it basically costs me nothing.

Its 205 miles to be exact, so but i do it in 2 hours everyday.

Edited by Cooper_GTI