best diesel to buy for £1500

Jossm

Mk3 golf tdi, get a gl, then you get air con, leccy everything, etc.

On the plus side they aren't a pd engine so ridiculously cheap to run and fix. You can also run them on veg oil. They aren't fast but if you're used to a Lupo you won't find it slow.

I'm going to be buying another one in the next few weeks, just watch out for rust, Mk3's love to rot! I had one few years ago and loved it. Very cheap motoring! Only a mk3 polo 1.0 compared but the golf is nicer inside.

My dad Swears by the 406 HDi 2.0 turbo diesel :D he gets about 700 mile to a full tank, and thats 80s and 90s on the motorway, plus theyre not too expensive, also must be a reason why all the taxi drivers have them ;)

+1

+2

I had one for 7 years, got it cos i was doing 90 miles a day commute. Was comfy, fairly reliable, pretty good on fuel and didn't handle that badly either.

looking to buy a 2nd car for going to work

ive got 1500 to spend

what do you recommend for cheap tax,insurance and good MPG?

My Lupo SDi?

60 mpg on motorways, cheap to insure. Unfortunately not cheap for road tax at £205 per year.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

Worth remembering that newer diesels can't run on veg oil which is at least 40p cheaper than diesel at the moment!

As Liam has said an old Mk3 Golf GL will run happily on veg oil and will return similar MPG... It will smell like a chip shop though!!

Worth remembering that newer diesels can't run on veg oil which is at least 40p cheaper than diesel at the moment!

As Liam has said an old Mk3 Golf GL will run happily on veg oil and will return similar MPG... It will smell like a chip shop though!!

So is it only the newer ones that need them conversion kits?

Do the sdi's run on veg oil or is it just pd engines that can't?

To be honest I've been looking at small petrol cars, mpg is slightly less but saving hundreds on insurance over a tdi. Pretty crucial on a cheap 2nd car.

As said 306 hdi or if you dont care about luxuries a 106 hdi. Easily get 600-700 mile out of a tank.

The only diesel in the 106 is a 1.5 NA lump. I cant imagine how slow and unrefined that is :lol: