Insurance - Making a claim. Need advice!

JamesU

Basically whats happened is my girlfriend had her best mate crash into the back of her last week.

They got the car back to her house and agreed to settle out of insurance, which was all fine!

My girlfriends back is genuinely hurting her and she's had to go to the doctors today due to the pain, plus she's doing physical work at college too...

We sorted out what would happen, booked the car into a garage for Monday, it would cost £600 to repair and seeing as my girlfriends mates excess is £550 it seemed like a good enough idea for them!

Tonight my girlfriend has had a call from her mates dad saying that he wont pay for the repair on the car, so we'll have to go through insurance - but from my understanding accidents have to be reported within 24 hours... Is this definite or because of the circumstances can there be exceptions made?

My girlfriend will be claiming for whiplash too if it goes through insurance, she was merely doing her mate a favor so her insurance didn't go up next year to an stupid amount! But now the dad of her mate is being a complete knobrot and is being a right arse.

Just wondering where she stands!

I also know that if insurance refuse this it can be taken to a small claims court but im not sure what would happen!

Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure it doesnt have to be reported within 24 hours. a bird i used to see got a letter 3 months after the accident. Im sure there was another time to when she went into the back of someone, at the time she said it was fine, then a few months later a claim was put in.

on a lighter note, i've driven into the back of my best mate!

I don't think there's a 24 hour time limit, as in the event of death or serious injury etc. a call to insurance is not gonna be the first thing on anyones mind. I hope you manage to sort something out, the father of this girl needs to stop messing you about by the sound of it.

I came close to driving in to my mate the day I passed my test, not proud of it. Locked up at 60 or some stupid speed..

You have to report a road traffic collision in which there are injuries to the Police within 24 hours I think.

what happens if you don't realised your injured at the time though? sometimes takes a bit of time for your body to settle until you've realised somethings wrong.

Her mates dad sounds like a right dick, hope your bird ain't in too bad shape!

by injuries it means serious ones, i got hit by a van when learning to drive which gave me pretty bad whiplash and im still having back issues to date and it was nearly 2 years ago this wasnt seen by the police as a serious injury.

No, you have to swap details within 24hours!

How did your birds friend manage to crash into the back of her? And her dad sounds a cock...

End of the day, just go about it like you didnt know the other driver!

Edit *I have actually driven into a friend before* :P

Edited by JamesTdi

as it only involved ur bird and her pal and shes takin full responsibility and you can trust her,

whos to say when the accident happened it could have happened ten minutes ago for all the insurance would know

Ah, her dad is being a cock!

Yeah, i know it can take a few days for the real impact of whiplash to ache and whatever! Thats why i was a bit curious on the 24 hour ****.

Thanks for the replies though guys! Much appreciated!!