New GTI owner

garethlloyd

Hi guys,

Hope you all are well.

Been registered a while and been on the lookout for a lupo. Well, today was the day and after some consideration I am now the proud owner of an 02 GTI.

Drove it back from Stoke to Birmingham and really loved it. I need to get rid of my E46 323ci before I can press this into daily service but I'm quite looking forward to it. It is very different to the BM though!

Unfortunately these are the only pictures I have and it doesn't really do it justice.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Been writing a to do list as it needs a few jobs....

Mirror adjusting switch is broken and needs replacing

sun visor clip needs replacing

passenger door car needs a couple of clips

the radio needs the ariel cable attaching (i think....)

Tints need removing from the rear windows (any ideas how to do this?)

Also, im undecided about the bonnet, I think a red one would look much better. However, saying that the black one is growing on me.

Red I badge has faded and needs replacing.

Needs a driver's check strap

Horn doesn’t work

Need to get a spare key cut

Finally, the wheels either need repainting so they look less like liquorice allsorts! Or replacing with TH Monos :shades:

Fill with 95 ron and enjoy!!!!

Also, I've got a couple of questions if anyone can help

It has one little wing mirror (passenger side) and a larger one on the driver side is this normal?

the bonnet pull feels like its about to snap off, is this normal

Loads of people seem to think its ok to cut me up, I assume it's just jealousy but do you lot get this?

Will keep you updated as things develop :)

Cheers,

Gareth

GTI passenger side is a stubby while drivers side has the extra magnified bit, a stubby for the drivers side can be bought from a left hand drive (look on ebay.de)..

Is the bonnet still alluminium? They no longer make them so if you wanted red would need respray.

I believe it's the same as the previous owner said he had the bonnet, roof and wheels resprayed.

It is growing on me a little bit but I think a red one would be a little more subtle.

oh, is there a quick way to check it's the aluminium one without removing it and putting it on the bathroom scales?

I believe it's the same as the previous owner said he had the bonnet, roof and wheels resprayed.

It is growing on me a little bit but I think a red one would be a little more subtle.

oh, is there a quick way to check it's the aluminium one without removing it and putting it on the bathroom scales?

A magnet will do the trick :coffee:

Hiya mate,

I'm a newbie too, so I know how you feel. I've owned all sorts in the past, but never a VW . . .

To help you out . . .

My bonnet release is slack too, but it works, so hey-ho!

My driver door needs a few clips too, it seems to be slack where it meets the locking mechanism.

My aerial is missing, dunno why and I don't know if you mean the same thing . . . looks like mine has been swiped!

Not sure about the tints buddy.

I always like to go for a standard look when it comes to cars, so I'd say the red bonnet would look much better.

My red 'I' badge is looking faded too, thought it was just me being picky! :lol:

I too need a spare key cut, if you find out how much it costs, give me a shout . . . I'll do the same obviously if I find out first!

I also prefer standard wheels, just my taste though. I just love the way the Lupo GTI looks in its standard guise . . . ok, maybe it wouldn't harm it to have a set of coilovers on there! :D

Nice car mate, I think I prefer the red if I'm being honest.

The bonnet cable/handle snapping is quite a common problem.

Take the handle to bits and tighten it up before it goes. IIRC there's a little clip that slides out, then a screw under it. Undo that and there's another screw thing I think that needs tightening. Sorry for the technical jargon... :lol:

Odd size mirrors are normal.

Some people 'fix' their red I with a bit of red electricians tape.

Red GTI, black bonnet, TH Mono's... Sounds a bit familiar. ;):lol:

Oh, and you should really be using 98 RON to get the best from it. ;)

Welcome! :) Was lookin at the GTI on PH before, where abouts in brum are u? you should come to the all dubs meets on sundays at princess alive drive, tesco in sutton coldfield :)