what's happened to the paint on my roof?

well i washed the lupo today and some thing has happened to the paint on the roof and top of the boot.

its like water or something has got under the lacquer...can this happen? will it disappear when it gets hotter? its only happened since the car has just been standing. there are just loads of little white spots, mainly in the centre of the roof. also also then roof rails the same has happened

290120111061.jpg

290120111062.jpg

290120111063.jpg

290120111064.jpg

has it ever been resprayed? e.g. from the rust in roof gullies thing.

I have had a similar thing happen on my rear bumper which i am going to have to have completely resprayed at some point cos it looks sh*t. But the bumper is plastic, i could imagine it could happen due to flexing, but i didnt think it could happen on the metal panels?

Q: The paint finish has tiny air blisters just under the surface.

A: This is called Micro-Blistering, causes are cheap thinners or paint contaminated with water or oil, if using an air compressor it can be water/oil in the tank and airline. Another cause can be solvent entrapment, to much paint applied without leaving the correct drying time between coats. Micro blistering can occur several months later, normally when the weather gets damp.

that should be the answer

Micro blistering is caused by water getting under the paint or lacquer because paint is slightly porus. I'm not sure that is micro blistering as microblistering raises the top coat up. Did you have a cover over it? Thats often the cause.

Other than that, acid rain?

Micro blistering is caused by water getting under the paint or lacquer because paint is slightly porus. I'm not sure that is micro blistering as microblistering raises the top coat up. Did you have a cover over it? Thats often the cause.

it looks like moisture under the lacquer as its white which is also what paint looks like when the topcoat is raised up i.e when lacquer is flaking

does it feel raised up at all,

Are you sure it wont polish off?

its not on top of the paint. the paint is still smooth.

have you tried polishing it off? it looks a bit like micro blistering

i have tried as the paint is smooth. it appears to be under the lacquer

has it ever been resprayed? e.g. from the rust in roof gullies thing.

I have had a similar thing happen on my rear bumper which i am going to have to have completely resprayed at some point cos it looks sh*t. But the bumper is plastic, i could imagine it could happen due to flexing, but i didnt think it could happen on the metal panels?

I think it has been sprayed at some point

Q: The paint finish has tiny air blisters just under the surface.

A: This is called Micro-Blistering, causes are cheap thinners or paint contaminated with water or oil, if using an air compressor it can be water/oil in the tank and airline. Another cause can be solvent entrapment, to much paint applied without leaving the correct drying time between coats. Micro blistering can occur several months later, normally when the weather gets damp.

that should be the answer

it does look like tiny air blisters yes, but its only appeared now while the car isnt being used and just sat in the cold and wet.

so will it go when it gets hotter and i start using it again?

hmmm its still smooth but it sounds like it. no, no cover :rolleyes: should probably of got one but i didnt think anything like this would happen.

it looks like moisture under the lacquer as its white which is also what paint looks like when the topcoat is raised up i.e when lacquer is flaking

does it feel raised up at all,

nope, not raised.

basically i would like to know if its going have to get sprayed? or is it going to go away when it gets hotter and i start using it? at this rate i may as well get the whole bloody car sprayed!!!

It looks very similar to the industrial fall out that cars suffer from at our office in West Bromwich. Ours is caused by the scrap yard and industrial processes from our neighbours, not sure if its likely to happen where you keep your car. The stuff that lands on the cars there is horrid, ours is basically from the iron smelting process so if you leave a silver car there after a while it has orange spots, for some reason red cars get white spots which often have a light blue tint it discolours the paint, chrome, window rubbers... We have been able to remove some of the fall out with a clay bar. On cars that have suffered very bad contamination we have to have them treated with an acidic paste prior to being polished and sent to auction (I very much doubt the acid does much to the paints longevity!)

It looks very similar to the industrial fall out that cars suffer from at our office in West Bromwich. Ours is caused by the scrap yard and industrial processes from our neighbours, not sure if its likely to happen where you keep your car. The stuff that lands on the cars there is horrid, ours is basically from the iron smelting process so if you leave a silver car there after a while it has orange spots, for some reason red cars get white spots which often have a light blue tint it discolours the paint, chrome, window rubbers... We have been able to remove some of the fall out with a clay bar. On cars that have suffered very bad contamination we have to have them treated with an acidic paste prior to being polished and sent to auction (I very much doubt the acid does much to the paints longevity!)

I'd of been getting the scrapyard to compensate for that tbh.

Since when does non-metallic paint have lacquer?

Sorry for the off topic..

a while now you have solid coulour which you dont need to lacquer over but this fades after a while and is mainly on vans and commercial vehicles

you then have clear over base which is lacquer over base coat it can be solid basecoat metalic pearl etc

as to getting it sprayed im afraid so marcus dont think it will go away

If you think your roof was resprayed before, try to find if it was done by a VW garage cos of the 12yr warrenty, cos you may be able to argue that their repair was not good enough to match factory standards, i know some people have had their roofs redone cos rust has come back thru it after a repair, maybe you could argue the same?

i doubt it would of been affected like that in anyway, i live in a small village surrounded by fields!

If you think your roof was resprayed before, try to find if it was done by a VW garage cos of the 12yr warrenty, cos you may be able to argue that their repair was not good enough to match factory standards, i know some people have had their roofs redone cos rust has come back thru it after a repair, maybe you could argue the same?

it will be almost impossible to prove it was them...plus they would only do another crap job!

looks like its only the sides of the car that arent getting sprayed now :angry:

Since when does non-metallic paint have lacquer?

Sorry for the off topic..

All manafacturers swapped some time in the 1990's or some before(Mercedes). Due to the demand for water based paints. Saying that, most bodyshops will just use a one stage solvent colour on flat paints as it's quicker and far cheaper.

I HAVE THIS! I didn't know what it was for a long time - over a year odd - so called it Roof Genital Warts, as its covered in white spots, and it has spread all over my roof, and now boot.

Then asked my bodyshop mate, he said it was micro blisters.

I was going to upload pics and ask by I could never see them in the images, even though if you look at it IRL they're so obvious. I need to get it sorted before it spreads.. well, all over the car! :lol: