Mayo

At a quick look it only appears to be on the cap and some on the metal plate inside the head, in psome cars it's usually just down to condensation, but i don't really do any short journeys (10 miles to and from work)wasn't there 2 weeks ago which also ties in with the cold snap we had

It looks to me a head gasket, but could be simple frozen oil...mine has this a little bit in winter time.

I do start work at 5am so the engine gets hot for 20 minutes at about 4:30 then cools down 20 minutes later and i suppse the severe minus temps won't have helped, i shan't worry about it till somehting bad happs then, the damn things costed me enough so far already..

I saw this on mine the other month and thought the worst, gave it a bit of a run and checked again and it had gone. Iv read it can be caused by a lot of short journeys makin condensasion.

Out of curiosity does anyone know when your hg should be changed an how much it costs?

I saw this on mine the other month and thought the worst, gave it a bit of a run and checked again and it had gone. Iv read it can be caused by a lot of short journeys makin condensasion.

Out of curiosity does anyone know when your hg should be changed an how much it costs?

It shouldn't ever need changing as a part of routine, they either go of they don't

Head gaskets are the one thing that seem to be bullet proof on these engines, Is there water or white oil on the dip stick? If yes then probably a head gasket, cracked head or block or oil/water cooler issue. Are you loosing water?

TBH that looks normal for a 1.4 engine, I do 45-50 min journeys in mine and get some mayo. My mums Golf has to have all the induction off it every year, degreased and jet washed out cause it gets so bad. Synthetic oil helps massivly.

Hope this helps.

Head gaskets are the one thing that seem to be bullet proof on these engines, Is there water or white oil on the dip stick? If yes then probably a head gasket, cracked head or block or oil/water cooler issue. Are you loosing water?

TBH that looks normal for a 1.4 engine, I do 45-50 min journeys in mine and get some mayo. My mums Golf has to have all the induction off it every year, degreased and jet washed out cause it gets so bad. Synthetic oil helps massivly.

Hope this helps.

Running fully synthetic 5/30 atm as engine flushed it a month ago due to tappet/ oil channel issue and wanting to fun some thin stuff to get to all the parts

Dipstick is fine, water is fine and smells fine, will double check in the light of day tomorrow though.

If the HG is ****ed it's not a huge job on these it it? i mean just all nuts and bolts?

either your head gasket is on its way out or like others said the weather and short journeys and the engine isnt warming up enough, clean it up and take it for a blast down the motorway for an hour or so should clear up ;)

Sweet cheers for clarifying that bickerton. Just wondered as our lass had a zr and a few people said to change hg every 40k

Google K-series headgasket. The internet will probably crash there are that many hits! Those engines are renound for it, so a bit of preventative maintenance is beneficial. - However if an uprated one is fitted, it should last the life of the engine

Just went and assessed it in daylight, mayo is literally just under the cap and on the metal cover directly under the cap, none on the cams or even down the neck of the oil filler cap.

Water level is still fine, doesn't smell different to usual and no oil on water effect inside so for now shall just put this to bed (and keep an eye out for cheap engines )

Check the seal around the cap. Check that no water is getting in underneath the cap. I've never had the problem, but I remember someone else saying that their seal had gone.

Hmmm mayo in that area is usually down to the HG, if its in the breather then I wouldnt worry as its just the heat of the air coming out mixing with the cold air, Ive got loads of it lol

We have an Arosa 1.0 and we always have lots of mayo on the oil filler cap, yet the oil level is always spot on, the coolant level never moves and it runs up to temperature fine. My partner does 5 miles to school and back everyday so the car never warms up properly and I do remember my old mk2 golfs always having some mayo in the breather pipes, which i'm guessing is a result of some condensation. I put a post on here some time ago with this problem and everyone seemed to think that headgasket issue just weren't common on Arosas/Lupos and many people had mayo problems on their filler caps.

We are giving the old girl a nice 140 mile run tomorrow which we hope will do it some good.