Best brake set ups for gti?

shaunandez

Just wondering what the best front brake kits are that will fit the Gti. Im guessing as the g60 is a popular conversion any g60 specific kits will fit. Obviously nothing much bigger than 280mm but there is a 6 pot tarox kit available and a brembo and hi-spec 4 pot kit. Not really wanting to go bigger than 16' wheels either.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Edited by shaunandez

If you run 16" OZ Superturismos off a MK3 Ibiza Cupra R you can run the brakes off one too. Which are Brembo 4 pots. There costly mind, cant remeber the size off the top of my head.

cupra_21.jpg

I run G60s on my GTI with Brembo Max discs.

DSC06325.jpg

Just to give you an idea what they look like. To me if you were going to run big power I would run the bigger brembo brakes :)

Well ive decided that next year im going 1.8t so id be guessing power wise 240-270bhp just doin the sensible thing and gettin the chassis and brakes up to the job before i start on the engine. Got a budget of around a £1000 for the front brakes.

Seen these brembos that i rekon might fit behind a 15/16? : http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=16434&xSec=2575

Tarox do this 6 pot kit listed for polo gti 2001/g40 at 280mm: http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/tarox-brake-system-p-437.html

Any ideas? dont want to buy stuff to find that it doesnt fit

Cheers

Could the brembos off a 406 coupe not be adapted to fit , im sure the vauxhall lads use them as they are fairly cheap.

There are plenty of 16" wheels that don't clear the 305mm Seat Brembo's. The 16" SuperT's barely clear. (Ask Gti_T if you don't believe me.) Christ knows how 15's fit over them.

I would go for the 280mm Wilwoods if you want to get 15's on, or Tarox I think do a 4pot 280mm kit.

Tyres make the biggest difference to the brakes. Stretched Nankangs won't cut it.

67086_443233832193_563967193_5351733_5012825_n.jpg

;)

Edited by 99hjhm

There are plenty of 16" wheels that don't clear the 305mm Seat Brembo's. The 16" SuperT's barely clear. (Ask Gti_T if you don't believe me.) Christ knows how 15's fit over them.

I would go for the 280mm Wilwoods if you want to get 15's on, or Tarox I think do a 4pot 280mm kit.

Tyres make the biggest difference to the brakes. Stretched Nankangs won't cut it.

67086_443233832193_563967193_5351733_5012825_n.jpg

;)

996 rears? Always though about those, but put off by the size of wheel needed.

I'm happy with my girling 60's. Not many people talk about them, only been me and markikeda that fitted them. They have plenty of stopping power. Can stop an Audi s2 relatively well, so can stop a lupo no problem.

John

996 rears? Always though about those, but put off by the size of wheel needed.

I'm happy with my girling 60's. Not many people talk about them, only been me and markikeda that fitted them. They have plenty of stopping power. Can stop an Audi s2 relatively well, so can stop a lupo no problem.

John

Yeah 996 rears... Should fit behind the Bathursts on a 280mm disc. They are monoblock and mega light, just need some custom brackets making up. Nice small pistons too, giving good pedal travel.

Yes the Audi S2's are a good conversion, and quite cheap.... direct fitment, few little isuues with the caliper back to front, the one piston is bigger than the other so in theory the pads will wear wedge shape, but not sure if this actually happens. They are also bloody heavy mind, but fit behind 15" wheels.

312's would be good if you didn't have to redrill and sleeve the disc then machine the carriers for the different hub set-up. If you don't mind 16" wheels they would be a good choice, caliper piston is the same as the Lupo GTI, so keeps the same pedal travel.

I can get my hands on a set of fiat coupe brembos 287mm 4x100 for very cheap. Im tempted i just cant be bothered getting brackets made up :blink:

Ben, i see a hell of a lot of im going to get this or im thinking of doing that, but ive never seen any of it....

Why don't you action your words and actually do something.

Glad to see someone else has joined the Girling crew, not many people seem to know about them as an option.

John

I can get my hands on a set of fiat coupe brembos 287mm 4x100 for very cheap. Im tempted i just cant be bothered getting brackets made up :blink:

Thought they were 304mm? They are the same calipers as the Ibiza Cupra R, so you just need those brackets, the Fiat hubs are not 4x100 are they? But i believe the offset is correct.

ive been looking into the gerling s2 2pots was bidding on a set but they went way over 200 and they didnt look in the best of condition quite a rare caliper to find

If anybody else is interested in fitting Porsche 996 rear calipers to a Lupo, PM me as I'm going to have some adaptors made to use 280mm G60 discs, they should fit inside 15" wheels depending on wheel offset. Calipers are £2-300 on eBay and brackets will be £100 ish I guess(Less than what eBay Golf Mk4 ones are).

Were working on it...... ;)

Make sure you get the right calliper though, very very very easy to buy the wrong ones!

They are selling for about 300 a set on eBay ATM, brackets might be a little more expensive than first thought.

Yeh ive just been looking at them, £330ish. Ill take a set of adaptors when they are ready, how much you reckon, £150ish?

What else will then be needed, just custom made hoses and set of pads?

Original hoses "should" work. Be careful between 996 rears and boxter S rears, there the same part number but are infact different calipers.

I reckon you wont see much change from £500.

John

If anyones interested i have a set of black compomotive mo's i dont need anymore! perfect offset for a lupo. 15x7 et 35 they have pretty good 205/45/15 tyres but are in need of a refurb as they have alot of brake dust on them which i cant get off. just want rid so offers

Parts list for Seat Ibiza Cupra R brembo upgrade...

1x 6KL 615 123 - brake caliper housings left

1x 6KL 615 124 - brake caliper housings right

2x 6KL 615 421 - attaching brackets for fist saddle brake

4x 6KL 615 141 - cheese head screw with female hexagon head M12x1,5x67

4x 6KL 615 143 - serrating screw M12x1,5x28

2x 6KL 611 315 - cross bar M10x1-3/8 "

2x 6KL 611 317 - connecting elbow unions brake hose M10x1-3/8 "

2x 6KL 611 701 - brake hose 638mm

2x 6KL 615 301 - brake disk ventilates 305x28 4/100

1x 6KL 698 151 - set of brake linings

2x N101 126 03 - countersunk screw M6x15SP