Rat look or graffiti style bonnet

Dave!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're missing the point of rat-look.

ratty cars show natural patina, show signs of years of abuse, it works well on cool old cars like old rods, muscle cars and air cooled VW's.

on a VW Lupo, you just look a bit of a tool, and secretly, you'll drive around wishing you'd just saved up a bit of money and bought a nice set of rims and looked after your car.

why turn a normal, perfectly good car, into a ratty piece of **** you'll never ever manage to sell on?

goldstar.jpg

you're missing the point of rat-look.

ratty cars show natural patina, show signs of years of abuse, it works well on cool old cars like old rods, muscle cars and air cooled VW's.

on a VW Lupo, you just look a bit of a tool, and secretly, you'll drive around wishing you'd just saved up a bit of money and bought a nice set of rims and looked after your car.

dont i feel like an idiot now!!! :lol:

i wish someone had told me before i covered it in vinyl! DAMN!!! :blush:

:lol:;)

LGG your car isn't rat, its quirky but still tasteful at the same time , i think thats why people like it.

Your one of a very few people who can do this and balance it pretty well.

Trying to hard to make a statement sticks out like a sore thumb, and just ends up looking silly.

LGG your car isn't rat, its quirky but still tasteful at the same time , i think thats why people like it.

Your one of a very few people who can do this and balance it pretty well.

Trying to hard to make a statement sticks out like a sore thumb, and just ends up looking silly.

i thank you... these cars aren't rat... if you had to give them a banner, god knows what you would put them under. :lol:

LGG's car works so well because it's got the stance right, and the rims right. It's still tasteful to a degree I think, it's not my cuppa tea but I do appreciate it and I do think it looks quite cool (must have some ace road presence).

so many people get it SO wrong though.

In my book Rat look should be reserved for cars older than a Mk1 Golf.

Bugs, Bus's and anything older, basically anything that's old enough to be as rusty as that!!

Anything newer than that and the car will have large plastic panels which looks rubbish.

Rat is a watered down term from what the rodders were doing years ago, its not really even a VW thing it just lends itself well to older water cooled models.

So its pointless saying it should only be reserved to cars older than mk1s , any car can be rat it just have to have weathered looks , preferably natural over time . The main thing is as liam says , modern cars don't lend themselves well to it at all.

Edited by scotty_82

i thank you... these cars aren't rat... if you had to give them a banner, god knows what you would put them under. :lol:

Oem++?? Lol, sorry, just abit of an ed38 thread there.......

Rat is a watered down term from what the rodders were doing years ago, its not really even a VW thing it just lends itself well to older water cooled models.

So its pointless saying it should only be reserved to cars older than mk1s , any car can be rat it just have to have weathered looks , preferably natural over time . The main thing is as lima says , modern cars don't lend themselves well to it at all.

That's the point that I'm making, it should be reserved for cars which are actually old enough to be in enough of a state to look ratty naturally.

You don't create proper patina, you find it - usually in a farm yard!

But your wrong , you've said rat should only be on old cars , it shouldn't, but in 99% of times it just looks wrong.

Im sure if i leave a HI lux near the sea after a hard ish life on building sites it will create some cool patina pretty quickish , now stick on some cool wheels and refurb the suspension and engine and you could have the makings of a cool truck. maybe with some other nice little tricks too.

Mk5 golfs with a rusty bonnet, roof rack and some other supposed rat bits is just plain and simple ****.

I like a bit of the old ratty look, but on old cars, I think my square back would qualify as its pretty oldschool.

imo the lupo looks really modern, they could release it again in 2015 and it wouldnt look out of date or old.

Rich.

cover the bonnet in stella atois tins. or labels? or lots of different alcoholic drinks labels youve had. beer mats like you get on some pub walls. :wacko::D

cover the bonnet in stella atois tins. or labels? or lots of different alcoholic drinks labels youve had. beer mats like you get on some pub walls. :wacko::D

I like to ask this , why ?

Im not getting at you directly , just the whole do something crazy and your cool, so why should he put drink labels all over his bonnet?