Locating Parts HELP! - GTI Xenon & Disc Brake Beam

J.P

Hi All,

I hope some of you can help. I have been searching the For Sales for a while for a Complete Disc Brake rear beam (GTI or Sport) and some Xenon's (Bi-Xenon preferred!) but have had no luck, they seem to be for sale not that often and when they do come up I have missed them.

I live in Northern Ireland and none of our breakers yards seem to have the parts. Can anyone recommend a place to try on the mainland or help me out with the search in anyway?

Many thanks, Jason.

Edited by J.P

Guest cream2cream

mate look on ebay i missed a set of xenon GENUINE lupo headlights 5 weeks back they sold for £120 EACH defo a bargin and now im kickin myself for missin the auction

there veyr very rare the chap who was shiftin was a big scrap yard in essex he has lots of parts

look on ebay

mate look on ebay i missed a set of xenon GENUINE lupo headlights 5 weeks back they sold for £120 EACH defo a bargin and now im kickin myself for missin the auction

there veyr very rare the chap who was shiftin was a big scrap yard in essex he has lots of parts

look on ebay

C2C - I thought you were banned from the forum?

I hope some of you can help. I have been searching the For Sales for a while for a Complete Disc Brake rear beam (GTI or Sport) and some Xenon's (Bi-Xenon preferred!) but have had no luck, they seem to be for sale not that often and when they do come up I have missed them.

By xenons do you mean GTI headlamp xenons or do you mean aftermarket HID kits? I'm only asking as GTI xenons aren't bi-xenon as they have a separate full beam headlamp.

And your supposed to have the washers on them too i think for an mot pass , not that many actually check for them but just giving a heads up.

I was under the impression that bi-xenon meant both main beam and high beam were xenon.

This is correct.

Bi-xenon means the same bulb is able to deliver main beam and full beam. It normally works by moving a housing around the bulb.

As you say GTI full beam is provided by the inner halogen lamps.

No it's not, you both have GTI's, go and look for yourself.

There is a solenoid inside the Xenon lamp which opens a flap when the lights are put on high beam. There xenon beam pattern changes, along with the halogen lamps coming on.

Mitch has GTI xenons on his Lupo and he does not have halogen main beam bulbs, so explain that one.

Yeah, Lupo GTI's are Bi-Xenon, as Jon has said.

All new cars equipped with Xenon main beam must also have a halogen main beam too. They use this when 'flashing' your headlights.

Edited by Philplop

I'm not sure about this idea that a xenon cannot flash... My JCW MINI had a single bi-xenon projector that did both the high beam and low beam... when you 'flashed' it still used the xenon beam to do so....there was NO hallogen light within the housing at all. :confused:

Also, when you have you dipped beam on in the GTI and flash the lights, the xenon flashes as well as the hallogen units....

I'm not sure about this idea that a xenon cannot flash... My JCW MINI had a single bi-xenon projector that did both the high beam and low beam... when you 'flashed' it still used the xenon beam to do so....there was NO hallogen light within the housing at all. :confused:

Also, when you have you dipped beam on in the GTI and flash the lights, the xenon flashes as well as the hallogen units....

It doesn't actually flash does it? The shutter moves inside the light? CBA going to look. :lol:

You'll have to remind me how the Phaeton headlights work because I though they had a pair of xenons.

I have no idea how they work. :lol:

I'm sure I heard that cars with factory fitted Xenons must have washers, self adjustment, and a halogen main beam. Maybe it's not correct.

If you flash your Lupo headlights when your lights are off, or only on sidelights, the standard halogen main beam in the sidelight housing will flash, rather than igniting the Xenons.

If your lights are on, they flap open to flash the full beam.

Think we got to the bottom of it, eventually. :lol:

Not looking for after market! I just assumed Bi-Xenon would have been an option at the time!

I also know about headlight washers being a requirement, I'll just revert to standard for the test.

Anyone recommend any big breakers on the mainland to try to narrow my search?

Thanks

I have no idea how they work. :lol:

If you flash your Lupo headlights when your lights are off, or only on sidelights, the standard halogen main beam in the sidelight housing will flash, rather than igniting the Xenons.

If your lights are on, they flap open to flash the full beam.

The flaps also move when the xenons are switched off too! You can hear the solenoids operating.

I want my explanations :)

GTI lamps are bi-xenon.

Not strictly true. The term Bi-Xenon means separate HID's for Dipped beam and High beam.

The GTI Headlamp just had a deflector that lifts the light a little when on high beam. It's not a True bi-xenon at all.

It is a bi-xenon of sorts, but not a True Bi-Xenon setup.

Xenon HID bulbs can flash, however it doesn't do the bulb much good and reduces the life of them.

Edited by nfbr

Anyone able to recommend a breakers atall? I'm well into a random yet completely aimless search of the internet which isn't turning up much.

Haha I'll get Xenon's by hook or by crook! Nice to hear from you again

May be buying a complete car in the future so that is of some help! Thanks!