Wheel Balancing

Does any1 else have trouble with their wheel balance and steering wheel wobble at 70ish, ive had my wheels balanced twice at 1 place, the first time they sed they wer right, they wobbled, so went back and they put it the wheel back on the machine n sed it was out slightly, still wasnt right the second time, took the wheels elsewhere the same day, they sed they wer both out? and ther still out. the wheels are true and round with no flat spots or repairs, and im sure its not a bend drive shaft :lol:

is ther massive variation to tyre balancing machines or is it just dosy people, sticking the weights roughly wer the machine tells u to put it rather than the exact location? :wacko:

yeah there can be a variation in the machines, like all pricision instruments they need servicing and calibrating to run perfect.

My Dad was just saying the other day he read about this in a magazine. A bloke kept getting his wheels balanced and they were perfect, but wobbled when on the car. He took it to a place that balanced the wheels whilst they were still on the car, to allow for wobble in the hub too. :wacko:

Or something like that. No idea where you'd find someone to do it though.

Have you got any other wheels you could swap over to, to see if the wobble is still there?

I agree with Phil, but there may also be a run out or flat spot on your tyre, which won't show in balance, but will effect it as it runs on the surface.

Last month i had some keskins that i was running cause i was having the other wheels refurb, they also wobbled,but quite severe, i could try a set of bathursts, cause we have 2 GTi's in the family aswel, plus afew other rims,

ive had the wheels balanced fine on the car before, it was just wen i got them back from the refurb its not been right since, i know its only minor but it drives me crazy on the motorway, :angry:

I had my Bathursts balanced three times at a big reputable locally based garage and the wheel still wobbled. Just had them done for a fourth time at a different garage and the wheel wobble is gone!

I still have a bad vibration at high speed but I don't think this is related to the wheels :wacko:

I had this, it was due to a rear wheel being out of balance

Oh right, well I've had all four wheels balanced and it doesn't go away when they are swapped from front to back, so think it's to do with the car. Hoping to do some investigating this weekend...

I had this, it was due to a rear wheel being out of balance

I was fobbed off by a tyre place that said...... "Rear wheels don't need balancing mate, they don't steer the car mate!!"

O RLY!!

I was fobbed off by a tyre place that said...... "Rear wheels don't need balancing mate, they don't steer the car mate!!"

O RLY!!

A lad at work recently took his Focus ST to ford as it was juddering on WOT - the response?

Its normal, its because its got an odd number of cylinders so they all do it :lol:

i just fitted my bridgestones to my rims myself as ,y mates just bought all new snap on machines and a cheater, he pointed out that the yellow dot on the wall should line up with the valve stem as that is the factory tyre balance mark and will reduce weights used, and each wheel needed no more than a 20

thats interesting to know mitchell ive been a mechanic for years and never been told that. learn sumat new every day.

A lad at work recently took his Focus ST to ford as it was juddering on WOT - the response?

Its normal, its because its got an odd number of cylinders so they all do it :lol:

used to work for ford and kept getting customer with repeated intermittant engine probs, using fords diagnostic machine ran loads of tests the answer it gave at the end was " customers unrealistic expectations!" even the computers are helpful :lol:

I have a balance problem too. Had all four done and four new tyres and the behaviour has changed but never gone. I was starting to wonder if there might be an underlying problem other than wheel balance. What could it be though?

2 ideas have cropped up on here: hub wobble and bent driveshaft. :blink: How would you go about diagnosing?

I have a balance problem too. Had all four done and four new tyres and the behaviour has changed but never gone. I was starting to wonder if there might be an underlying problem other than wheel balance. What could it be though?

2 ideas have cropped up on here: hub wobble and bent driveshaft. :blink: How would you go about diagnosing?

I would take all the wheels off, clean the hub and wheel with some solvent like white spirit to get rid off all the grease and dirt. Then scotchbrite/wire wool the hub, spigot, wheel face and bore to remove any corrosion etc, then run a small flat file accross the wheel and hub to remove and high spots, don't try to file the hub or wheel down, just use it with your fingers to remove any high spots, then clean with solvent again, let dry grease the hub and bolts and refit. Did this with mine as it had a slight wheel wobble when i got it, was fine afterwards. you can also try rotating the wheel on the hub see if it makes a difference.

Not so critical on a road car, but you could also have the tryes refitted as if the tyre fitters compressor is full of water when he inflated them it can cause balance issues, but thats usally on racing cars.

Oh right, well I've had all four wheels balanced and it doesn't go away when they are swapped from front to back, so think it's to do with the car. Hoping to do some investigating this weekend...

I would take all the wheels off, clean the hub and wheel with some solvent like white spirit to get rid off all the grease and dirt. Then scotchbrite/wire wool the hub, spigot, wheel face and bore to remove any corrosion etc, then run a small flat file accross the wheel and hub to remove and high spots, don't try to file the hub or wheel down, just use it with your fingers to remove any high spots, then clean with solvent again, let dry grease the hub and bolts and refit. Did this with mine as it had a slight wheel wobble when i got it, was fine afterwards. you can also try rotating the wheel on the hub see if it makes a difference.

Did all that (apart from the solvent) when I first got my car. Turned out yesterday as I suspected, the front coilovers hadn't been fitted properly. There was no nut holding down the top mount and bearing!

Said nut was found still attached to standard suspension that came with the car...

Did all that (apart from the solvent) when I first got my car. Turned out yesterday as I suspected, the front coilovers hadn't been fitted properly. There was no nut holding down the top mount and bearing!

Said nut was found still attached to standard suspension that came with the car...

:o

Just a little dangerous!!

Aye I wasn't too chuffed to say the least. Think this also explains the knocking noise every time I reverse out of my garage and off the concrete floor. The top plates now need replacing too as they have deformed and are about worn through!

Aye I wasn't too chuffed to say the least. Think this also explains the knocking noise every time I reverse out of my garage and off the concrete floor. The top plates now need replacing too as they have deformed and are about worn through!

Bingoooooo, im sure i said topmounts to you the other week at phils

im a frickin genius :D