Pressed plates

tgri

Hi all just wondering if there is anywhere that anyone would advice getting some pressed plates from as i got a £60 fine for mine yesterday as they are apparently ILLEGAL, (something to do with having a D on!?)

Total cost for plates £115.46 :(

You can get UK legal pressed plates from Dubmeister that should stop you from getting stopped by the Fuzz. But the safest way is to just run standard plastic one's. I got stopped a few month back for my german plates but got out of the £60 fine :)

Edited by Dazz

You can get UK legal pressed plates from Dubmeister that should stop you from getting stopped by the Fuzz. But the safest way is to just run standard plastic one's. I got stopped a few month back for my german plates but got out of the £60 fine :)

The old bill where i live wouldnt let me put my plastic ones back on, even though they were on before they had finished writing my fine. Oh well lesson learn't the hard way!

This now makes it more confuing for me my mate was pulled over last night and was told that his pressed plates from Dubmeister were ILlEGAL too !?!?!?!? i think i may just avoid pressed plates for the time being.

I got pulled even tho i didnt have a D mark on them, said it's as they have raised lettering.

Said no plates are legal on new cars with the raised lattering, even tho places like dubmeister say they are. Showed me the legistlation in his little book thing, said he was a special car inspector person.

No fine, just said I can change the plates when i got home haha.

National flags and identifiers

Motorists in England, Scotland and Wales have the option to display the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Cross of St Andrew (also known as the Saltire) or Red Dragon of Wales together with one of the following identifiers: GREAT BRITAN, Great Britain, GB, UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom, UK, CYMRU, Cymru, CYM, Cym, ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng, SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO, Sco, WALES or Wales. This must be displayed on the left hand side of the number plate. No other symbols or flags can be displayed on number plates.

The flag must be positioned above the identifier and neither must be more than 50 millimetres wide or on the number plate margin.

Motorists displaying national flags and identifiers will still be required to display the standard GB sticker when travelling in Europe.

The Euro symbol

If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, then you won't need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union.

The symbol must meet the required standards. They are:

minimum height of 98 millimetres

minimum width of 40 millimetres to a maximum of 50 millimetres

reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top

sign of the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_181503

To be honest its a very grey erea, it just depends on the copper u get.. Just save yourself the hastle and run plastics, then just put on the metal pressed when going to meets and shows, is what me and my mate do...

I have pressed plates from Dubmeister, they have the stamp and postcode from where they were made, they're reflective, they have the british font and they're spaced correctly and I got pulled the other month simply because they were pressed. I didn't get a fine but the undercover policeman took the details of Dubmeister from my number plate and said he'd investigate, I haven't heard anything since?!

I have pressed plates from Dubmeister, they have the stamp and postcode from where they were made, they're reflective, they have the british font and they're spaced correctly and I got pulled the other month simply because they were pressed. I didn't get a fine but the undercover policeman took the details of Dubmeister from my number plate and said he'd investigate, I haven't heard anything since?!

I had the same thing happen. I was pulled for my German ones so got the pressed ones from Dubmeister, and because i was pulled i had to send the new plates off to confirm with the DVLA that they were 100% legal. Got them back no worries. 2days later i get pulled saying that the "3d" font is illegal and doesn't reflect, which it did when he shined a torch on it. Got a £60 fine anyways, never paid it, and never heard anything back.

passing an mot with them on means nothing, i've had several different cars with different mot inspectors all pass cars with german plates on.

first time i got pulled over in this was by a police car who only wanted to tell me my number plate was falling off! it was rivetted on, which i prooved to him and he was more than happy

second was by a pcso who told me for 10 minutes about how dangerous it is running it with no bumpers and illegal plates, i spent five minutes playing dumb, after which he got bored comparing it to other plates in the car park :lol:

golfratsprayed2.jpg

it really does depend on who pulls you over and how good a day they've had, as well as how nice you are to them ;)

ok I see but I always use the same MOT garage and he has failed my car on plates before and made me change them, but he didnt have a problem with these, they're not German plates; they're UK ones, the only difference is that they're pressed. Why would the police have a problem with them just because of that? what's so wrong with them?

they shouldn't have a problem if they have the correct letter spacing, the correct country displayed eg. GB, unless they are having a bad day or need to meet targets

I'm sure there is some law as to you not being allowed to run metal pressed plates on a vehicle produced after a certain year.

I run UK font metal pressed plates with a GB thingy on them on my 52 plate Mk4 Golf. Although I do have a private plate which is a 1984 year reg so I may get away with it because they cant tell what year my Golf is? :rolleyes:

I also think it has a lot to do with the car and how it looks.

I have run pressed plates on ALL of my cars (apart from my camper van) for around 7-8 years now. I have had german fonts with 'D's , German fonts with dashes separating the letters, German fonts with no country bands and UK fonts with and without country bands. These have been on various vehicles of various ages - '81 Mk1 Golf, '86 Mk1 Caddy, 2000 Lupo, '52 Mk4 Golf, '90 Mk2 Golf, plus others and I have never had a problem with mot's or anything. Also I live in the same area as Suani (he's my brother) so we get seen by the same Police cars/people.

My Mk4 is standard apart from the plates so I doubt it even gets noticed! The Mk1 is an old car that could be running original plates.