Daily use

forsh21

TBF... If people have the money to build a show car, there not going to use it as a daily.

I work on (usally classic) Aston Martins, untill last week, we hadn't test driven a 'classic' Aston since novemberish time last year before any salt was put on the road... The owners have the money to use them as daily, but in wrecks cars.

My MG toy costs £13(Probably alot more now) a day to go to work in in fuel alone, I could afford to use it but why? ...and all they show cars running air ride must handle like crap, so again, why use it as a daily.

Just a load of points as they came into my mind. :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TBF... If people have the money to build a show car, there not going to use it as a daily.

I work on (usally classic) Aston Martins, untill last week, we hadn't test driven a 'classic' Aston since novemberish time last year before any salt was put on the road... The owners have the money to use them as daily, but in wrecks cars.

My MG toy costs £13(Probably alot more now) a day to go to work in in fuel alone, I could afford to use it but why? ...and all they show cars running air ride must handle like crap, so again, why use it as a daily.

Just a load of points as they came into my mind. :lol:

Classic astons are often seen as an investment though so its not like throwing money into a car that isnt going to recoup its money and is probably going to be out of fashiion to a certain extent within a year or two, a classic is a classic for a reason.

Not a very safe place to leave 20K in really is it?

Not the hardest car to steal without damaging, a simple coat hanger gets in easy

Classic astons are often seen as an investment though so its not like throwing money into a car that isnt going to recoup its money and is probably going to be out of fashiion to a certain extent within a year or two, a classic is a classic for a reason.

Well maybe, but one trip out in the salt with ruin a set of wheels, knock ons and bumpers, so there is a few thousand quids worth. And if the underside of the car is as restored, all the nuts and bolts will very quickly go rusty, might not sound like much, but will probably instantly loose quite a few grands worth of valve from the car.

I took my mum out in my MG on christmas eve a few years ago to get an Indian take away of all things(Just to show off and scare her :D ), salt ****ed the underside of the car instantly, all the brake pipes went furry and green, everything was rusty, just after a 10 min trip, I was very very pissed off at the time,only had myself to blame. Thats a garage filler too, only 1000 miles in 2.5 years.

basically yeah.

Can a car be used on a daily basis and kept at a show standard? yes. theres living proof that it can be, it just requires time and effort.

Agreed.

Did anyone say everyday ? i think if you got this impression from reading comments they mean like everyweek atleast !!

I dont see your point? All i got was ..."i took my car to a show and couldnt be arsed to clean it" Bit of quick detailer or even just a dust after an initial polish at a show isnt really asking that much.

I think every car on clublupos inside stand is a daily? mine and melonmans are at least. think that answers the question really?

Yep, mine and Rob's are dailys! And mines black and show's up everything meh! I've now become very anal about where I drive it and when. I can honestly say that I only drive about 10 miles a week now, mainly cause I have to get the bus to work but cause I "worry" too much aswell! It's cleaned, polished, and waxed once a week too, although those polished Cults are pain in the ass! :(

Yep, mine and Rob's are dailys! And mines black and show's up everything meh! I've now become very anal about where I drive it and when. I can honestly say that I only drive about 10 miles a week now, mainly cause I have to get the bus to work but cause I "worry" too much aswell! It's cleaned, polished, and waxed once a week too, although those polished Cults are pain in the ass! :(

So youd rather pay for public transport than use the car youve bought, is it out of neccessity i.e london traffic etc or by total choice ?

This is why I couldn't be fecked with a show car. Too much hassle, worry and money spent in them. Money been the biggest factor for me. Plus it seems so bitchy!

Its nice to see peoples creations mind and go ooo I wish I had that.

So youd rather pay for public transport than use the car youve bought, is it out of neccessity i.e london traffic etc or by total choice ?

I work in the town centre, parking costs about £10 - £15 for all day parking, a bus costs £13 for a week rider, I'm saving money! :)

I work in the town centre, parking costs about £10 - £15 for all day parking, a bus costs £13 for a week rider, I'm saving money! :)

So its because its common sense to do it that way as it saves money , so it doesnt really have much impact on the choice of having a "show car" that isnt used much, it just isnt used as much due to it not making financial sense.

wowww you can park in colchester town centre for £3 all day!

muahaha

lol

You can park in Woking town center for free ! For as long as you want ! No one care's lol

Mike

Edited by Ralphy

Plus I wouldn't park it all day in the town centre anyway, perfect place for all those car park dings! I'm slightly anal about these things, but i'd be the same if I had a standard car, it's your property at the end of the day, you want to keep it nice whether it's a show car or not, well I do anyway.

Edited by Emz

But it also has to serve a purpose at the same time , its a car , its meant to get you around and inevitably it will have to be parked.

Other people are out of your control.

Daily FTW.

I plan on driving my car when it's done one day, but i doubt every day.

I do have to admit, when i ran the RS's for a few weeks, i would park in the multi-storey at work, after getting there 15 minutes early, and give the wheels a quick clean.

As said, just takes effort.

But it also has to serve a purpose at the same time , its a car , its meant to get you around and inevitably it will have to be parked.

Other people are out of your control.

And it does :)

basically yeah.

Can a car be used on a daily basis and kept at a show standard? yes. theres living proof that it can be, it just requires time and effort.

That was my point.... that fact they put in so much time and effort. OCD I like to call it.

But then really it isn't a show car by definition but a super clean daily driver , I would say a true show car is one built to represent a persons or companies abilities and is taken to shows so their customers or peers can see it . I still hate the term as its banded about for nearly any car of all different standards that wants to sell it on the net