Least expensive mods that are worth doing...

Funky Diver

And before you say it, no I'm not a tight wad...

I have little expenditure on modding my car, what with having family, commitments, blah blah blah...

Anyway, I'm looking to do mods that will cost under £50 a throw, but where to start.

I have recently acquired a 1.0 MPi Arosa (in white), 99 plate on an R. It's a second car (cos it was cheap as chips...) and more for "fun" than anything else...

Mods so far (don't laugh...), aluminium bee sting aerial, cos the old one was knackered and a rear sun blind (genuine fit one) for the kids in the back....

So, what do you reckon? £50 or under and making a difference. Your thoughts...?

QUOTE(Tigz)
remove the side strips buddy.

Doesnt cost anything other than a tub of bug and tar remover and a couple of hours graft.

Makes a huge diffrence.

Just make sure the top laquer coat hasnt been put on over the top of the door strips - I discovered mine had the hard way after it started peeling off. The door strips stayed off for the total of 2 days before they had to go back on sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Remove the boot badges.

Coloured side light bulbs.

Front splitter.

Good, polish.

QUOTE(Tigz)
QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Fairly sure there's nothing under the seat badge

Other than the boot opening I dont think there is tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> :wink:

If you mean the boot lever, that's separate on a MK1 arosa tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> :wink:

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
QUOTE(Tigz)
QUOTE(bossjohnc)

Other than the boot opening I dont think there is tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> :wink:

If you mean the boot lever, that's separate on a MK1 arosa tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> :wink:

Busted! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Painting calipers and drums are a nice simple thing to do! tin of paint for fiver and thats it, just let it dry before u drive off!!lol

i used hammerite on it due to rust. works well but need to `re-do` mine i think, i have spike comin when i drove off, got paint on the old alloys!!lol

QUOTE(Tigz)
QUOTE(bossjohnc)

AAAAaaaaah, well, I obviously got the factory fit option for a `non-opening` boot (except with the built in `anti-theft` wiggle handle, twist the key mechanism... )

And no, there aint anything under the badge...

Plus, it's a Mk1 as far as I can tell and the rubbing strips down the side are the black rubbery types (so not colour coded) so they should come off using the wifes hair dryer and a bit of a polish... and yes, I concur with the "good polish" point... Zymol's the best "budget" one I've found so far and it smells wicked... plenty of carnuba wax is what you need :wink:

Thanks so far guys, I have a job list for the weekend....

p.s. Wife, if your're reading this... I'll see you monday... lol

or as an alternative to `de-badge` u could do a `re-badge` (so its like the new SEATs)...

arosabadge.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

other cheap mods....a vanillorama magic tree so it smells nice everytime you get in the car (67p) a sunday spent washing and waxing it, and cleaning the engine bay to look like new (£cost of cleaning bits) - or get a professional valet done (£?), maybe push the budget for some cambridge / lupo SE rear lamps (approx £70 i think), a lupo GTI Gearknob & gaitor? (£35 ish), a badgeless grill fo mk1 arosa, an FK chrome gear surround http://www.`fk-automotive`.de/en/ , some 2nd hand eibach lowering springs (£should be able to get for about £50), some LED or xenon look side and headlamp bulbs (£?)

Forget the light clusters unless ur gonna do some more expensive mods. I hate seeing a 1.0L saxo with 3 hubcaps and a set of lexus style lights!! if anything go for some LED light bulbs in the standard clusters.

be careful in car parks with no bump strips. i really dont trust other people opening doors near my car so i aint removing mine.

if ur number plates r sh!tey like mine, treat ur self to some new ones.

• 2 months later...

Well at the risk of being called a chav, I like the aftermarket metal or metal look tax disc holders as a cheap mod, look better the crappy "Car Shop Wolverton" white thing I got with mine. Some of the more OTT `chav-tastic` one's are just plain ugly mind.

Also take off any dealer stickers as they piss me off and unless they're paying me I'm not advertising someone's company!

• 3 weeks later...