5 speed conversion to a 6

breamy

Luke didn't actually do it himself. Midland VW did it on his behalf.

As far as I know you need the box, the cables, the shifter off the top of the box and the gearstick/linkage mechanism itself from the 6 speed.

Not just the box!

As far as im aware, as long as you have the gearbox with the selector arm on (should have this usually still on there) then its a straight swap. You dont need the shift tower, you can just swap the gearknob top bit over to the 6spd one! Ive got a 5spd box in my garage from when i broke a gti, along with shifter etc if you want to compare part numbers.

The selector arm/shifter is the same.

The gear lever unit changed somewhere throught production of the 5 speed model as far as I can tell, so might be the same or atleast compatable. Checking some of the cables, they seem to have the same part numbers, not checked all the parts though.

• 3 years later...

I do rich, but the one I have which is 100% complete I'm hoping to use in the mk1.. Have a couple of ecu's knocking about and an engine loom though if that's any use to you, interior loom isn't there though..

Mike

Right I will dig it out and see what there is too work with.. Have a feeling it was a pikey removal hours before the shell got weighed in, sure it will be fine though.. Il drop you a pm in a few days..

Mike