Switchable ECU on GTI?

tdwindustries

OK LupoGaz says he took his car to VW and they plugged it in and switched it to Sports mode.

He says that not all ECUs have these options but (my memory is bad as you know) Loops after 51 plates should be able to have this done.

but then if i did have more power i would of been able to correct it just enough to not hit the massive concrete post (or maybe not) lol

I also heard about this timbo!

Will have to make some phonecalls!!

I always understood it that the standard map that came on the GTI was the `high-performance` one, but came with slightly jerky throttle response (i.e. undamped, which gives faster reaction speeds at the cost of less smooth action) and other bits like pumping a bit of soot out the exhaust.

If people complained about this, VW would reflash their ECU with the `non-sporty` software, which smooths out the throttle response and cleans up the engine a bit, giving slightly increased MPG but slightly decreased performance. Arguably makes it more driveable, day to day, though.

Can't find anything about it on ELSA though...

sounds interesting.....although i just know that if i go to my dealer to speak about this he'll look at me as if i have an elephant hanging out of my ass.... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Did you know that you can make the GTI 160 BHP by tapping into the port under the ashtray?

Sounds like more `dealer-inspired` ***** to me I'm afraid. Surely if the Lupo GTI wasn't making an impact on the UK market (as it obviously hasnt) then VW would advertise, or simply sell the car with these `push-button` "transform your car into a monster" mods.

But, its a 1.6 litre engine with 130bhp, it aint gonna get much better than that thru software...

hey i'm just going on what we found on the computer messing about one day trying to see if the key would open the windows by the button and not the key in lock method. i'm now getting 150miles per tank(taking it easy!). must have done something.

Bloody hell Gaz! :shock:

150 miles!

I get more than that buddy and it costs me a fiver to pop to the shops lol

I think what Snoop says makes a lot of sense.

I couldnt see why VW would restrict some cars and not others, but it woould make sense for them to be able to do this if people asked for it.

I would have thought that it wouldnt have been done as standard only if requested.

Going to see VW this lunch time I'lll ask them there, although Id doubt they'd know anything about it.