Potholes and low cars, yet another subframe knackerd

kingy89

Just having a little rant about how s**t our roads are :angry2: Last night slowly driving along avoiding the massive holes in the road BANG, drink flew out the cup holder, all my crap out the cubby hole was everywhere, think i missed one! My steering was slightly out of allignment so got out had a look underneath and yet another subframe foobard :angry2: Luckily Ive got one at home waiting to get some plates made up and welded to the front edge. Looks like im fitting a subframe next weekend :(

Anybody else had any miss fortune with our roads lately?

:( Bad news. Sorry to hear it! Our roads are also crud. Dad had 2 tyres replaced on his golf last week because of all the pot holes he's had to drive over. Touch wood i've been pretty lucky with the lupo but haven't been driving it much lately anyway.

****ing rubbish! is there some kind of compensation you can get from the council for stuff like this? a road tax reimbursement??!! haha

There is a difficult route for compensation. You need to document the hole and whatnot and submit the claim. If the hole wasn't on the last road inspection (which I think are around 6-weekly), then it's tough titty. However, if it was on the list, then you might be in for a bit of the old compo.

Its all just due to the weather we've had recently, potholes get really bad when we have prolonged periods of cold weather, you cant blame the council for the weather!

you can certainly blame the council for the potholes getting that way in the first place!!!!!!!

im sorry! but the bad weather doesn't stop them from closing down tube lines to work on the rails, so why should it stop them from working on the potholes???? and also! the roads im talking about have been awful for years! theres no excuse!!

To be fair you can argue that it's the councils fault until the cows come home, but at the end of the day the lupo was obviously not designed by VW Specifically to have it's ass dropped in the weeds.

Had the car not been as low then there would not have been an issue at all.

Call me a Cynic if you want, but I know I'm right!

Councils dont dig up the roads, utilities companies do so we can all have internet and television as well as gas, water and electric. The re-instatements they put back is where water is able to get into the road construction and freeze causing the surface to break up and cause potholes. Sad truth is, if you live in a heavily trafficed or residential area, there will never be enough money to re-surafce all roads that need it.

Edit: Agree with nfbr fully on what he says, dont slam your car then complain about the state of the roads, cars are made with suspension for more than handling and looks after all.

Edited by bobbo

Read something the other day, can't remember where it was. It said the majority of money that councils get to resurface roads is put aside to pay compensation for damage caused to vehicles and people caused by potholes

If it's true, it's mad. :wacko:

IMO fixing a pot hole should mean leveling it out. Around here they've fixed a few but basically now they stick out of the road in a mound. Which is no good either. If your gonna do a job, might as well do it properly!!

i hit a very very very poorly marked speed bump, looked like the markings were done in the 70s! hardly anything left on the speed bump, hit it, destroyed my flexi pipe and now sounds like it has a 6" jap can out back and the sump has a nice dent in it!!!!!!!!!!

soon to make my self a bash guard! lol

Edited by TomStevo

With our cars been lowered we wouldnt stand a chance of gettin any money back off the council :(

Not true, what about people with sportscars?

GO back and take pictures of the pot hole and measure it at the same time, then put a claim in.

I have heard stories of people putting claims in, then the council filling the pot holes up.