Time to move on?..

electricpanda

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking about keeping it now for a year or two. Been out over the last few weeks and looked at Clio 182/197, Megane 225, EP3 CTR, DC5 Integra and nothing felt as special as the lupo. Nor did they turn as many heads! I just wish I was man enough to get a BAM conversion done :lol:

Clio 197, Megane 225, Audi S3 (Old shape), R32 mk4, Mini Cooper S JCW or Audi TT 225.

Although I'm likely to be biased towards the Megane 225 I don't think you'll go too far wrong with any of those cars.

With the RenaultSport Clios, expect to rev them high to get the power where as the Megane has loads more low down torque. The 197s are somewhat inconsistent in their power, in that they don't actually make 197bhp most of the time. Where as the Megane 225s more often than not make their quote 222bhp.

Best thing to do is drive each one and go from there a no one can tell you which is best for you. :)

Luke ( DB) and I both left Lupo gti ownership at the same time. He went R32 mk4 I went 225 TT. His has a few goodies and so does mine. Initialy I thourght his was quicker, but hes always said mine was, I would have to agree now Ive learnt how to drive it over the last 18 months. TT doesnt get half as many looks as GTI (even with a plate saying RIDE MElaugh.gif ) and misses that special feeling whe your driving it like you used to get driving aunique GTI.

I've kinda gone the opposite way to what most people would normally do, as before I had my Lupo GTI I had a Audi TT 225 (admittedly for a short time!).

I do miss the TT in many ways... the heated leather, the power, the BOSE stereo, the interior in general was a great place to be, and just the fact of it being a grown up coupe and the luxury feel it had to it! What I don't miss is the MPG, and the lack of fun factor it had. It was quick and felt very planted but not really capable of putting a smile on your face round the twisties... the Lupo is a lot more fun in that respect, even though it's a fair bit slower. The Lupo is probably more of a head turner to people who are into cars as it's so rare, but the TT will impress average Joe public and the ladies more as to them it looks like an expensive sports car, I don't think a lot of people realise they're pretty cheap these days!

My old TT:

DSCN2555.jpg

And the interior I miss...

DSCN2560-1.jpg

Oh and guys, if you think the RIDE ME plate works, it seems to only work on the 25-45 year old women groupsad.giflaugh.gif The TT you can get the fun factor back from them by:

ESP always off

Coilovers

Remove weight

Stiffen back end up

Uprated haldex unit

I can really slide the thing around car parks and roundabout (yes very childish, but suprised the local Ed38 boys who thougrght the TT was a bit girly)laugh.gif

Edited by Bikerz

I'm sure there are things you can do to make it more fun as you say Bikerz. One of the reasons I sold mine though was money, I bought it not realising it had a couple of issues so it needed a bit of money throwing at it, and I was then scared of anything else going wrong and costing a fortune! 267 miles to £62's worth of Shell V-Power isn't fun either. Also, in comparison to a car like the Lupo, a TT cost's a lot more to modify, I looked into lowering and it would have cost a lot of money dropping it on coilovers. In the end I decided to go back to a car I could more comfortably afford to run and modify.... you could say I bought the TT more with my heart than my head :P

Also if I'm being picky, I'm not sure about turbo power...... I live in a built up area so most of the time I'm driving at low speed in traffic, constantly going up and down the gears. Off boost it felt a little gutless, then by the time the turbo spools at 2,000+ revs (can't remember exact revs) I'd be ready to change back up a gear and come back off boost again, quite frustrating. In contrast though, it was good fun on an open stretch when you felt the turbo kick in and you could open it up a bit!

I agree 100%! mines the same, tho mines pretty heavily modifed. Only thing its lacking now is power. IHI kit I was looking at but I wana go to uni so thats on hold. Id also love to R32 supercharge lump in her

I woulndt be swapping a Lupo Gti for a CTR, what an awful, ugly hideous thing they are. Reasonably quick once you get them going but so very unrefined. The one i went in was doing my head in within a few miles. Though they are not my cup of tea at all, ugly beyond believe, and you have to say you drive a Civic, where is your pipe and slippers. Nah, awful Jap crap in my opinion :rolleyes: Soul-less.

A Mini Cooper S/Works, now that would be a nice choice in my opinion.

What about a performance diesel with a remap? Diesels are a love them of hate them thing really, but the torque would be imense. An Ibiza FR or Cupra TDi, Fabia VRS, remapped they would make a good pocket rocket.

For the price of a girls hatchback you could easily get a nice sports car with a decent engine. Most common upgrades from the lupo gti being S2000, VX220, Elise, Z4 etc.

I woulndt be swapping a Lupo Gti for a CTR, what an awful, ugly hideous thing they are. Reasonably quick once you get them going but so very unrefined. The one i went in was doing my head in within a few miles. Though they are not my cup of tea at all, ugly beyond believe, and you have to say you drive a Civic, where is your pipe and slippers. Nah, awful Jap crap in my opinion :rolleyes: Soul-less.

A Mini Cooper S/Works, now that would be a nice choice in my opinion.

What about a performance diesel with a remap? Diesels are a love them of hate them thing really, but the torque would be imense. An Ibiza FR or Cupra TDi, Fabia VRS, remapped they would make a good pocket rocket.

100% agree with everything you've said. I went for a diesel as a cheap 'n' cheerful runaround and I've been

surprised by how much I like it - the lazy delivery of the 1.9TDi suits me fine.

Edited by Fow Vay

I think for you to say a Civic Type R is soul-less and only moves once you get it going....

Then say, why not a diesel? Does sound rather odd! LOL!

Unfortunatley I am not able to get a VX220, Elise, S2k etc... due to work, I am an estate agent, its all about the image with these things.

I dont want to sell the Lupo, its been great, but I need to. Driving around all day and dont want to be clocking any more miles on it. Against my will unfortunatley.

Not sure about the Civic Type-R being soul-less, I've been in a mate's a few times and it always impresses, proper frantic when you hit that VTEC :D , addictive aswell I bet. Diesels can be tempting these days but the power delivery is a bit boring, I'd much rather a high revving petrol car!

I'd have an S2000 in a flash if I could, they have everything I want in a car. Unfortunately the insurance on them is obscene for some reason! VX220 NA's are surprisingly cheap to insure though and great on fuel apparently due to being so light, pretty hardcore to live with day-to-day though but no doubt amazing on the right road with the right weather!

What's all this about image Sam? Does it give off a bad impression or something to be seen in a sports car if you're an estate agent?? Don't most estate agents drive Mini's anyway or is that a false stereotype? :lol: