project Arosa / budget dog

olethalb

i got my bottom pulley in the post today so i timed it up, refitted the aux belt, cambelt covers and engine mount. my budget ebay silicon elbow came in the post too so i mocked up a filter with some bits laying around,

filled it up with anti freeze and ran it up.

arosa11210001.jpg

as soon it was warmed up it all settled down nicely, idle stabilised and tappets quietened down (where the oil had drained of from being stood) heaters all worked and the fan cut in at the right temp.

i didn't get alot done tonight but it's still progress and i know it all runs fine now.

Olly

been fannying around tonight, i went to my shed to my 'pipe bin' in search of a better pipe for the air filter - low and behold i find a nice stainless 90 degree bend AND it was 63mm - perfect! so i cut it down to fit where i wanted it, then i started to clean it and befor i knew it i had it on the bench giving it a polish.

so now polished i fitted it up and it looked good - too good, now the cam cover looked rank so out came the wet and dry and auto sol and gave it a quick buff up. i kept looking at the plug leads thinking they were messy - back to the shed and found an off cut of carbon fibre and fashioned it into a plug cover, it's not perfect but it'll do for now.

arosa12210002.jpg

arosa12210001.jpg

only downside is i'm going to have to knock something up to cover the rusty manifold now!

Olly

oh dear, i was up to £510 + the silicon elbow off ebay for £16 delivered but just been browsing on there again and done another £100!

so i'm up to £626! - £374 left unless i sell some bits!

still need an exhaust and paint + lots of bits and bobs too, it's going to be tight at least the filter was free!

Olly

Cobra Monaco's <3 Absolutly loved them in my old Mini, bit to solid though for long journeys, had to have a pillow in the car at all times! How much did you pay for those out of interested? I got a set sitting in my garage.

i have been a little concerned with the potentail wear on the steering components / rack etc. well i had a 16v subframe hanging about for a while and my 16v arb that was ready to go on, then i remembered i had a low mileage rack i removed from my old polo gti so i went down the shed and dug it out. it was pretty clean still so i gave the rack a wipe over and wire bushed the track rod threads, then i thought i may aswell clean up the subframe and arb and build them up together.

arosa15210004.jpg

arosa15210002.jpg

i'll have to get some new track rod ends etc now too i suppose.

Olly

i sold the mirrors, spare 16v arb and ecu/key/immob box/reader from the 1.0 so went on a ebay mini spree,

new lupo 16v centre exhaust section

new wishbone (bare)

new wishbone bushes

new bottom ball joints

just need to get some new track rod ends and i'll have an all new front end set up to bolt on, i'll build it all onto the subframe / rack and fit it all up as one.

i do get a bit carried away but i may aswell do it right and i didn't spend any extra from the bits i sold

Olly

i just bought lupo front and rear bumpers for £65 posted, should be here next week and it will save me smoothing mine.

the 16v lupo centre exhaust arrived today along with one bottom ball joint and my mount from built mark, i made up a decat pipe and mounted up the middle box. i'm just undecided what to do with the rest of the system now.

arosa18210001.jpg

arosa18210002.jpg

next to get is some 25 x 25mm box tubing to weld in so i can mount my buckets.

i'm not sure i'm going to make the 1k budget - the spec is growing well though!

was upto £626, then laid out £40 on an exhaust but i'm selling that tomorrow so i'll be back down to £626 now £65 on bumpers £691.

track rod ends paint and some sort of exhaust left with £309 left before i hit the 1k mark!

spec to date is;

'98 arosa

1.4 16v AFH lump

custom loom

egr removed

carbon cannister removed

stripped rear

new coilovers

custom rear shocks

14 x 6j steels with 195/45/14 rubbers

cobra monaco buckets

g40 steering wheel

badboy bonnet

new exhaust system with decat + custom

custom air intake + k&n filter

16v front hubs +brakes - new discs and pads

new genuine vw wheel bearings

16v subframe and arb

polo gti steering rack

new wishbones and bushes

new top mounts

new bottom ball joints

new track rod ends

lupo front and rear smooth bumpers

mk4 golf door handles

i think thats it for now - i suppose it's not bad for £691....

got a new rotor arm and dizzy cap today, also decided to bin off the carbon fibre plug cover and just make a little bit to hold the leads together

arosa19210004.jpg

arosa19210005.jpg

while i had the off cuts of carbon fibre out i decided to knock up a base plate for my new mirrors - whatever they are yet i don't know.

arosa19210002.jpg

arosa19210001.jpg

arosa19210003.jpg

i also decided to refit the platic trim at the edge of the carpet but i chopped it down a bit

arosa19210007.jpg

while i had the camera out i thought i'd get a quick pic of my decat pipe and 16v centre box hung in place, got it sitting quite high in the tunnel so i'm pleased with that.

arosa19210009.jpg

arosa19210011.jpg

Olly