project Arosa / budget dog

olethalb

thanks bud. :)

right i think i'm changing my mind again, i've been looking around for a 1.6 8v or 1.4 16v mk4 polo lump to drop into the arosa, the problem is it'll cost around £300 for an average engine/ box/ loom/ ecu etc, then it'll have to have a 4 branch and bike carbs etc so i'll be looking at £800 - 900 for roughly 120bhp. i reckon i could buy and fit a 1.8t for around the 1k mark wich will be 150 bhp out of the box and map for 50 - 70 bhp more.

i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it now, i sold the ful tank and for now i'm going to concentrate on the bodywork until i make my mind up.

opinions??

Olly

I have never driven a 20VT Lupo I can imagine it being above the usable power and weight band for

such a small and light car. maybe okay in straight line but i think it'd take the fun out of

taking it around the twisties.

what about a 1.9TDI... Did I do a dirty word?

yes diesel is a dirty word! lol!

right lowered the rear earlier

when i bought it it already had chopped springs that were cable tied in place, this was the ride height

arosa-28110001.jpg

arosa-28110002.jpg

the main problem with chopping springs is when you jack it up the shock extends (as below) and the spring falls out or off the seat

arosa-28110004.jpg

this is the chopped down spring length just before it drops off the seat (no weight on it)

arosa-28110014.jpg

now i need to go lower (lower than coilys can manage either) so the springs will need to be shorter, the problem is i can't be doing with the springs dropping off everytime i jack it up, so the only solution is to fit shorter shocks

arosa-28110005.jpg

as you can see the travel isn't much shorter but the overall length is reduced

arosa-28110006.jpg

these shocks are not vag items and the bottom mounting is narrower than the arosa items, so a 4-5mm spacer is needed

arosa-28110007.jpg

this will need to be fitted in the inner edge of the beam

arosa-28110009.jpg

arosa-28110010.jpg

i lopped a bit off the springs (not alot - you'll se why at the end) that were already chopped down

arosa-28110016.jpg

with both shocks and springs fitted this is the length of the spring in place under 30+ mm of compression but the wheel off the ground just the shorter shock compressing the spring and holding it in place

arosa-28110017.jpg

so now this is the tyre to arch gap with the wheels off the ground and the shocks fully extended

arosa-28110012.jpg

arosa-28110019.jpg

now i could go another 20-30mm drop in the following pics but as you'll see i need more wheels before i do that

arosa-28110025.jpg

arosa-28110021.jpg

arosa-28110026.jpg

arosa-28110027.jpg

Olly

i'm going to try and keep the bora Kam, it's the longest i've ever owned a car - 1 year in feb!! i'll probably stop using it as my daily and get it up to show spec.

i'll use the arosa too beat about (daily) and do some stupid things to it.

Olly

decided to strip out the rear trim earlier

arosa-29110001.jpg

if there's any trim in the above pic you want just let me know

arosa-29110002.jpg

arosa-29110004.jpg

arosa-29110005.jpg

also srtipped the cards off

arosa-29110003.jpg

next part to be removed was the rear seat mount, i drilled out all the spot welds

arosa-29110008.jpg

arosa-29110007.jpg

and pulled it off

arosa-29110014.jpg

arosa-29110012.jpg

arosa-29110015.jpg

thats all for now

Olly

haha - as i said at the start it's just a budget box, something to not take too seriously or worry about being able to sell on.

i've decided not to 1.8t it for that reason - it would all get too serious and involved, i should be picking up another small block lump this weekend and will do some more body mods in the coming weeks.

budget box cost so far;

car - £130

coily's - £50

256mm hubs, calipers, b/n gen vw bearings and ebc pads - £20

256mm b/n discs - £35

shorter rear shocks - £free

16v arb - £free

bbs alloys - £free

so far we're upto the grand total of....£235

obviously engine will wack it up a bit but i'll update it as i go and don't want to go over 1K total.

oh engine should be out this week so if you need any 1.0 bits let me know.

Olly

1 of them is forked bud, the tyres are all nearly new though (pirelli's and goodyears) i need to sell them on to get something more suitable, i was going to bay them for £25 each and £15 for the 4th tyre off the knackered rim.

Olly