UK Passports

bjblyth

I'm sending off for my first adult passport on Monday and just wondered if anyone has done this recently. Does everybody require an interview these days?

Also, is it possible to speed up the process at all? I'm due to fly out to Europe on 15th February... I imagine it's not a busy time of year for passport applications so I'm hoping it's less than the 6 weeks that the guidelines give.

Can anyone share some good experiences!!?

i had a similar thing last year... needed it for around the same time mid feb applied in jan... had an interview a week later and had the passport within 4 weeks... im sure on the application i even left a note saying something about the dates i was going away and whether they could speed things up or whatever...

i applied and my photographs got denied ( although it was the post office official who took them ) so resent new ones away and still managed to get my passport within 4 weeks :)... and after that i enjoyed my uni trip to amsterdam haha :)...

I'm doing mine at the moment, the title "First Adult passport" is totally crazy.

If you have a passport already even if its expired from a child, it's not a first adult passport you are applying for... So no interview.

Very very confusing system.

Edited by 99hjhm

Thankfully I'm old enough to be on my 2nd adult passport and am of the generation that as a child I was on my Mum's passport and didn't have to have my own.

Me too, woop.

How long to passports take nowadays, providing you've previously had one?

Me too, woop.

How long to passports take nowadays, providing you've previously had one?

2 weeks if checked at the Post Ofice, 3 weeks otherwise.

Crazy money too, should be free.

You can get a passport VERY quickly if needs be. Just be prepared to go to your local passport office, beg and grovel, you shouldn't have a problem though if you need one by 15th February.

Ah, the amount of phonecalls we get at work...

"I lost my passport last night, and I'm flying out to Ibiza this afternoon" (it is ALWAYS some kinda 18-30 place)

"Okayyy, and what do you want me to do about that?"

Also, did you know, if your passport is lost, and handed to a third party, it's not allowed to be returned to it's rightful owner? The passport must be destroyed and sent back to the passport agency.

There's some random passport knowledge for you...

Odd passport question that could end in flames :ph34r:

If my passports been 'lost', is it just as simple as applying for a new one?

or is there some mad shiz that goes down first?

Oh and once again :ph34r:

pretty much yeah, you have to fill in an extra form but thats it (I did it late last year)

i got mine stupidly quick when i needed it, just drove to london and paid, filled out some forms, went to the shopping centre next to it then picked it up a few hours later

...oh then got lost and ended up on oxford street laugh.gif

Seem to recall a post by zippy a few years ago about his passport - he worked on oil rigs so needed his passport to be valid all the time and couldn't go a few weeks waiting for his new passport to arrive. It involved a trip from Aberdeen to a passport office in Durham and lots of hassle if I remember rightly...

I work for the UK Border Agency so can get through without the interviews :D

Can you get me through without the interviews!? ;)

Seriously though guys thanks for your help, gonna check out with passport office tomorrow if i can get it early, otherwise will send off at Post Office in the morning and sit and pray!!

my dad had to get one of his passports re-newed we went to peterbrough an got it done took about 4 hours to do, well a 4 hour wait,

tho it did take him a hour an half to sort it out, as he has 2 in date passports at a time for work reasons so he can travel on one while the other is being used to get a visa, so they needed to know why he had 2 indate passports,