Aftermarket MPG gauge

I've got one.

I can't work it properly. It does come in handy if you get an engine warning light up though, it'll read the code so you can look it up and find out what needs replacing/fixing, and then clear them so the light goes off. :)

jon_273 has one too, he's tried to tell me how to use it but it still confuses me. :lol:

It's not as easy as just plugging it in and it telling you your MPG. You need to tell it the size of your tank and engine capacity, then each time you fill up you need to say how much you put in. If you forget to do it once then it thinks that you've got twice as many miles out of your tank than you actually have.

Still, the code reader is worth the money anyway.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar product to this Clicky - or any experiences with the product and any pictures to go with?

Thanks, Chris.

Jon273 and Talikafan both have one of these in thier cars!

Supposed to be a nice little product!

*edit - Phil beat me to it*

Edited by AwesomeAl

Yeah I've had one for a while, it's excellent!

Mine is very accurate, the scangauge said I got 59.5mpg over the last 465 miles, and I worked out I got 60.0mpg! It is always within ±0.5 :D

The scangauge calculates the amount of fuel left in the tank based on information you give it, whereas a proper built in OEM MFD can gets the fuel level value from the ECU. BUT you only need to tell it how much fuel you have put in if you want the 'miles to empty' readout to work...

Problem is, if you fill up by a different amount each time and keep entering different amounts (e.g. say one week you put 20L in and then the next week you put 30L in) it will add an adjustment factor to the mpg readout, and you end up getting silly figures like 120mpg on every journey. The way I get round this is to leave the 'fill up' amount set as whatever the figure is (usually around 6 gallons as this is what I have set fuel tank to) with the adjustment factor reading 0.0%. Then the mpg readout stays accurate!

Downside to this is the 'miles to empty' is now always accurate (caused by me filling up different amounds each time), but I know that I can do 50 miles from when the fuel light comes on, and I always reset the dash trip when the light comes on ;)

Hope I haven't confused you too much :wacko:

Edited by jon_273

then each time you fill up you need to say how much you put in. If you forget to do it once then it thinks that you've got twice as many miles out of your tank than you actually have.

Ah I would probably be rubbish at remembering to do that! I used to have a built in one when I had a Mk 6 Fiesta Zetec S and I thought it was pretty nifty. But then again it also reminded me a little of pay-as-you-go phone in the sense, you could see how many miles till empty, and it was like watching your money dissapear :(

I also still need to buy a Lupo GTi before I go buying accessories for it!

Thanks for all the info though :)

anyone with an iphone could get the Rev2 app and kiwi wifi OBD device

they will soon be adding a mpg feature to it in an update and it can do all sorts, read engine codes, reset warning lights, it displays accurate rpm, speed, can time 0-60 perfect, can use gps to track acceleration and braking, helping to speed up lap times if used on track and alot more!!!! lol i will be buying the wifi device and app very soon

Edited by TomStevo

How does the iPhone read fault codes?

Mine is where the coinholder thing was above the heater controls, I need to cut down the coinholder so it fits inside it but haven't got round to it.

jon_273 has mounted his in a DIN blanking plate above his stereo, there's a picture in his readers ride thread.

My mate fitted one of these to his 206 GTi

We didn't look at the mpg feature but had a look at some of the other bits

Some parts seem fairly accurate- throttle position, mph etc etc

However others seemed a bit out, I don't know if some calibration was perhaps needed?

We did fit it at about 3am :lol:

Is the OBD port behind the ashtray? How's everyone routed their wires?

Philplop any pics of mounting it in the coin tray? :)

:lol:

Am i right in thinking the OBD port is behind the ashtray?

What did you do with all the excess cable seeing as you're only mounting it about 2 inches away and the cable's about 2 metres long? :)

Edited by MarkS

Yeah. I removed the socket from the ashtray and fed the cabling behind the console, so the socket is just loose behind the heater controls now. The scangauge is going to be a tight fit to get it in the coinholder, as it's pretty much exactly the same height, but I think I should be able to get it to fit.

I do indeed have one, i'd like to get the mpg readout correct, though i asked once before what settings the others are using. As my readings are well out for fuel used and when i fill up i spend about 4 miles lowering the fuel inputted. when i first got it, it was roughly 600% out, the last time it was 160% out. weird.

So mainly i use the intake temperature and water temp, gives me a rough idea of when i can open it up a little more, and when i can turn my warm air blowers on. (usually around 52°c and over 2k rpm. lol. Also i have voltage and i programmed the BST one, so thats nice to watch going up and down.

currently it's velcro'd to the underneath of the card holder with the port removed from it's mounting and a hole put through the upper cubby hole (the one with the felt stuff in) from the driver seat you can't see the (short amount) of cable through this hole.

Cheers.

Edited by Tallika_Fan

I do indeed have one, i'd like to get the mpg readout correct, though i asked once before what settings the others are using. As my readings are well out for fuel used and when i fill up i spend about 4 miles lowering the fuel inputted. when i first got it, it was roughly 600% out, the last time it was 160% out. weird.

So mainly i use the intake temperature and water temp, gives me a rough idea of when i can open it up a little more, and when i can turn my warm air blowers on. (usually around 52°c and over 2k rpm. lol. Also i have voltage and i programmed the BST one, so thats nice to watch going up and down.

I also use intake air and water temp! Useful to give an indication of what the engine is doing, especially on a remapped car.

Try a factory reset, then use these settings:

Engine size: 1.4 litres

Fuel type: diesel a

Fuel cutoff: (leave it at the default)

Tank size: 6 gallons

Leave everything else at default, fill up the car and go FILLUP, DONE. Do NOT adjust indicated fuel before pressing done, as this seems to mess everything up! I think it may have something to do with US and Imperial Gallons being different sizes...

Hope that helps :)

Ah, I've just remembered why mine kept getting cocked up.

If you want an MPG readout you have to enter how much petrol you put in in gallons, which is obviously a fanny on as pumps show you litres.

Unless there's a way round this? I think you said you reset it each time Jon?

Doesn't do oil temp "out of the box" as there does not seem to be an oil temp sensor on the Lupo, only a pressure sensor :(

If you want an MPG readout you have to enter how much petrol you put in in gallons, which is obviously a fanny on as pumps show you litres.

no you dont no you dont no you dont!!!!!!!!!!

It gives accurate mpg WITHOUT having to tell it how much fuel you have put in. Just press 'fillup' and 'done' and sod the amount entered bit :lol:

Probably easiest if I just show next time I see you :)