17"s on a GTI ? Why does nobody do it ?

S3BOW

Mark2Ikedas car looks the best on 17's - If you don't get the rim and tyre combo right then it simply don't work. The Juxta position seems to work quite well also (i.e alternative colour inner/caps to Loops body colour - All in favour say I).

Still think 8J 15's are the best bet - Don't compromise chassis dynamics to much and still make the Loop look great - at least this way there's enough rubber being put down to give you proper traction, no scrubbing and less potential rim or curb damage (That is if you're a sh** driver!).

For shows 17's do provide that instant wow but as said in the thread earlier do look a little tractorish and possibly if rim choice is dubious belong in the ministry of silly wheels.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Guest cream2cream

On a None GTI they look too big.

But a GTI has big archs, and bumpers which are too big for the wheels.

17s make them look right.

i think im gonna go for 17inchers, sprayin them in gunmetal colour (rover grey) my lupo tdi is blue, i think they'll look awesome???

tyres 205 35 17 or 195 35 17 :blink:

got 215 35 18 on my polo :shades:

nsfrr.jpg

im defo not into the euro look, my polo's runnin on 18's, know could of easily fitted 19's easily :shades: car aint even been lowered!!!

osrq-1.jpg

TT leathers and 17inch rims; will b puttin pictures of lupo VERY VERY soon :shades: :shades: :shades:

Guest cream2cream

When I first bought my Gti I knew I had to have 17's. Ran them for over 4 years and 65,000 miles but they spoilt the handling (they were heavy and overwhelmed the dampers due to the unsprung weight) and I just could not get the car as low as I wanted. eventually I sold them and got some 16's which improved the car's handling immensely and I felt they car just looke so much better.

Those Lorinser's bad boys look ace on Phil's Gti, if only it was for real with tyres.

mate how did u get the car to glow so much? mines same colour and always wax it but looks nothing like ur's unless u modified the pictures?

someone mentioned buffing the paintwork with a sander and some compound stuff, u done that?