Loopless - Gearbox Failure...

bossjohnc

You will probably all slate me here but tough.

My last car was 5 year old BMW with high miles and it was faultless. Never broke down ever (except a battery failure due to it being old).

Dealer would treat me the same as the old man who turns up in his £50K M5. Never once did I feel or was made to feel "like the young boy in the posh showroom". All servicing was done faultlessly and even quite cheaply.

Would have another BMW anyday if only they wern't rear drive as Im too bad a driver to handle big power and rear drive...hence I dont still have my BMW!!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John regarding the hire car...

When my engine broke a few months ago I wasnt given a courtesy car either.

No problem...i went to nearest car hire place, hired a Seat Ibiza and sent the bill to the VW dealer. Needless to say I only had the hire car a day and then as soon as my car was booked in for repair I got a courtesy car.

bossjohnc - how did they prove to you that you are not eligible for a warranty and courtesy car? Did hey actually told you that you are in breach of The Warranty Agreement? If they did not send a letter to this effect via recorded delivery you have the right to full waranty perks including a caourtesy car for as long as a warranty repair last for no cost to yourself.

With regards to 10k service. As far as I know Loops are on a set servicing periods arrangement (at least my one is) and they should be serviced at mileage intervals, not time intervals, unless stationery for long periods, but I may be wrong on that one.

I bought my Loop from a VW dealership as well, it was stationary for 7 months (nobody wanted to buy it LOL). When I bought it it had 8k on odometer. Before I ought it I asked for full servicing to be done. No probs, service period was reset and servicing done with no warranty problems...

I'd squeeze them a tad harder - VW dealers can be very arogant at times and can treat people like $hite... don't let them, use The Consumer Rights Act (there are like three of them..) to its full extent

Unfortunately, consumer rights won't help me here. They're fixing it ok, and under warranty, but they're not obliged to give me a courtesy car. The procedures that say I should have a car are in addition to my statutory rights, so it's really down to VW to decide whether I do have one or not.

They say the warranty is still fully intact, it's just that VW (not the dealer) won't provide a hire car because of the car's 'shady' history (lol!). The dealer is actually going beyond the call of duty by providing me with one of their own courtesy cars (for the time being at least).

Lupos are serviced on a time/distance schedule - 10K miles or 12 months. Woe betide anyone who steps an inch outside of those boundaries!!

You will probably all slate me here but tough.  

My last car was 5 year old BMW with high miles and it was faultless. Never broke down ever (except a battery failure due to it being old).  

Dealer would treat me the same as the old man who turns up in his £50K M5. Never once did I feel or was made to feel "like the young boy in the posh showroom". All servicing was done faultlessly and even quite cheaply.  

Would have another BMW anyday if only they wern't rear drive as Im too bad a driver to handle big power and rear drive...hence I dont still have my BMW!!!!!

You may not feel the same about BMW dealers if you had a Bini. My mate has a 2 month old Cooper with the new Getrag gearbox and is having all manner of problems with getting both BMW and the dealer to acknowledge the problem he has got.

He showed me the Bini forums and is not alone. The revised Bini has a fairly major gearbox problem and BMW seem to be sticking their heads in the sand.

It's getting to the point where he's considering attempting to reject the car.

My point is that you only test dealers when there's a major problem. That's when they show their true mettle.

Not yet - I've put a fair few miles on the courtesy car now - and they haven't asked for it back fortunately.

I'll call on Monday for an update - I think it's probably likely that they don't even have the gearbox yet sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

When I made my comments about your rights I was under impression that a 'courtesy' car was guaranteed when warranty repairs are made and that was a part of your warranty terms and conditions (I have not checked mine...)

I have such an arrangement with my insurers so whatever happens I have a courtesy car within 12hrs for as long as it is needed.

You lucky your dealership is pretty decent in this respect smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Getting back to your cars poblem, can you insist on new gearbox and not reconditioned one?

Well, they could possibly argue that they'd fit a recon box, but I'm getting a brand new one anyway!

Yes, I have a good relationship with my dealer, and I'm very lucky that they're being `co-operative` with the courtesy car. I have courtesy car cover with my insurance company, but I'm not sure that this would be covered as it's not an insurance claim...

According to VW's procedures, I would normally be entitled to a hire car for the duration of the repair (paid for by VW, not the dealer) however because of the discrepancy with the service history this is not happening.

I've become friends with one of the service guys at my local VW dealership (The dreaded Lindvale group if any of you come from the Essex area...) but I'm really worried because he's the only helpful member of staff & is moving to Lincolnshire soon... gonna be receiving shoddy customer service again I guess... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Lol! I'm gradually making friends with the other service guy (although he's known by staff at Lindvale as "Dippy" which worries me slightly...) Hopefully I should continue to get a little bit of preferential treatment...

Tim - Miles hasn't found a new job in Lincolnshire yet unfortunately, but if he does get a new job with VW I can recommend him to anyone in the Lincolnshire area - he's really helpful!

I'VE GOT A 52 PLATE LUPO GTI AND I'VE HAD NOTHING BUT RATTLES AND CREAKS WITH MY CAR YET I STILL LOVE IT!

I WORK FOR SERVICE IN A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP SO I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANY MAJOR FAULTS THAT NEED SORTING BEFORE WARRANTY RUNS OUT BECAUSE I KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE THEY CAN BE!

I HAVE STARTED TO NOTICE THAT THE GEARS ARE A BIT crap TO PUT IT BLUNTLY! I FIND THAT ESPECIALLY FIRST IT ONLY HALF GOES IN THEN YOU HAVE TO FAIRLY FORCE IT THE REST OF THE WAY!!

IS THIS THE SAME AS YOU WERE EXPERIENCING AND WOULD YOU ADVISE ME TO GO AND ANNOY THE VW SERVICE TEAM ONCE AGAIN?

PS HOW MUCH DO YOU ALL PAY FOR NEW TYRES???? :?

Actually, now you come to mention it, mine doesn't always want to go into first gear (& occasionally reverse) the first time... if I bring the clutch up halfway it usually drops straight into gear... does that sound pedal box related?!?