Need New Gearbox!

Took my car into VW to get the timing belt done last month.

While it was in i got told my gearbox was leaking from the selector shaft seal, so i paid to get it fixed.

A week or so later i noticed my gearbox was leaking again so i took it back into VW and they told me it was the seal again so they replaced if free of charge again.

Then a couple of days after it had been replaced for the second time it was leakin AGAIN, probably worse than ever so i took it back and they told me it wasint the seal, and infact was the selector shaft itself and was all internal which ment i would need a re-bulid or a new gearbox, which both were over £1000!

Obviously i could get it done alot cheaper than the quote VW give me but; I have a full VW service history on the car, and it only has 20,000 miles on!

So anyone had any problems like this?

Do you think its worth writing to VW? ; bearing in mind its on a X reg (2000) but still has very low mileage.

What does everyone think/suggest?

Sean.

i reckon they are having a laugh, tbh though all these gearboxes suffer from weeping at that area, crap design imho.

I would ask about warranty there's no way a gearbox should be broken in 20k if they try and argue wear and tear tell em theyve got to be kidding!!!

i dont actually know what the vw warranty is but it should cover 3 years......how old is the car?

sure the car hasnt been clocked? maby stop driveing like shuey

in all honesty though mate i bet if you check your car it will have some weepage

How much would a 17,000 mile 6N2 Polo 085 gearbox (same as yours) from a 75-bhp car be worth to you?

I am selling some parts from my engine conversion.

Including a Polo GTI engine and this box.

I wanted to sell complete but you are stuck and want to make me an offer on just the box?

Unless yours is a 1.0?

How much would a 17,000 mile 6N2 Polo 085 gearbox (same as yours) from a 75-bhp car be worth to you?

I am selling some parts from my engine conversion.

Including a Polo GTI engine and this box.

I wanted to sell complete but you are stuck and want to make me an offer on just the box?

Unless yours is a 1.0?

yeah its a 1.0 mate