vehicle number plates

shorty-mini

ok just read this on the mini forum so though might be of use on here if it isn't already known

Ok, apologies if this has been posted already, these rules aren't new, but they way there are now being enforced is.

"As from 9 June 2009 DVLA have implemented a new system for reporting Illegally displayed VRNS (vehicle registration numbers).

Prior to that the Cop who pulled you over had a number of methods of disposal, ranging from doing nothing, through to Fixed Penalties and Defect Rectification Notices.

There was also a very long and complicated system where if the cop took a picture of the VRN then posted it with a long form to the DVLA they would perhaps if the wind was blowing the right way on a wet Tuesday maybe write to the keeper and tell them off.

NO LONGER

The DVLA have realised that most ops Traffic included won’t issue fixed penalties or spend hours filling in forms and have brought in the following system.

On receipt of a now A4 size form and a copy of the photograph of the offending VRN the DVLA will now write to the registered keeper and give them 28 days to correct the defect AND then provide them (DVLA) photographic evidence of this. On the 29th day they will automatically DEREGISTER your vehicle, if you do provide such proof you will get a letter back saying thank you if it happens again we will deregister the vehicle without warning.

Now having your vehicle deregistered is a real pain it means a day off to the local DVLA office to re register it, getting your tax, mot and insurance changed to your new allocated number because you won’t get your old one back (remember you don’t own your plate, just the rights to display it legally) if it cost thousands it’s a ###### they will just auction it off again.

You can’t drive the car in this time mind you.

Now the bit which will make it a success for them is the vehicle does not have to be stopped for this photo to be taken it can be a CCTV or ANPR camera still image.

Attached is the link to the DVLA regulations for VRNs

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Be aware in this legislation if the owner is claiming an exemption i.e. pre 01092001 the onus is on the keeper to prove that the plate was manufactured before that not the other way round, this is because plates are considered consumable items and likely to frequent change."

can someone confirm the punishment for running dodgy plates now?

keep hearing rumours you can get 3 points for it now.

+1

Im running my plates without a space . . . . Also I'd really like my plate back and not having to pay for it again

L600OPY

Sam

There are a few £30 on the spotters that are now up to £60, the misrepresentation of registration marks being the most publicised. I think points should be issued as misrepresentation is a deliberate act. However, I do not feel the use of standard EU fonts is a problem if the registration mark is correctly spaced. If the will is there, the authorities can trace a vehicle to an EU address and dish out the penalty, so claiming that a UK reg in a German font means the car is untraceable is a load of poppycock.

The DVLA have always had the right to 'claim back' registration marks at the point of transfer or for persistent misuse.

I know someone who has just had their license revoked for his tints. He kept getting pulled and now he has lost his license.

That's a different thing altogether. He'll be driving a car that will have been unsafe to drive under C&U regs and done nothing about it.

Edited by IDGM

I couldnt see anything on deregulation in the linkypoo?

Anywhom, if they have released that just keep an eye on the source as someone will take that to court and will win as they cannot just deregister your vehicle without your consent. Personally i dont believe they ever would impose that but if they have they wont be able to use it as there will be solicitors lining up to have it revoked.

No points, just gone up to 60 squid

Thanks, nice to get some clarification and I didn't fancy asking traffic plod at work.

I couldnt see anything on deregulation in the linkypoo?

Anywhom, if they have released that just keep an eye on the source as someone will take that to court and will win as they cannot just deregister your vehicle without your consent. Personally i dont believe they ever would impose that but if they have they wont be able to use it as there will be solicitors lining up to have it revoked.

Remember your registration mark is not your property, it is owned by the DVLA ultimately, so legally they can do as they wish if you do not use it to their regulations.

From reading Police forums the above is true and coming into force, so be careful.

• 3 weeks later...

It used to be the case that any £60 FPN came with 3 points. Now some of the non-endorsable £30 FPNs have gone up to £60, this is why there's some misinformation floating around about points.

This 'de-registration' only applies to private plates. Anyone who got a private plate in the past will have explicitly agreed not to misrepresent it, and the DVLA would give the old plate back when revoking the private plate. No Q plates are involved.

Hurrah, the correct answers.

I still think mis-spaced plates should attract 3 points though. Yesterday I saw "OA51S RR" on a Phantom, the bloody cheapskate, although I suppose the driver would pull the race card had he been stopped.

DVLA are missing a trick though, UK number plates can accommodate seven digits with a small space. In order to avoid misrepresentation, why don't they offer genuine vanity plates for a one off set up fee plus a yearly fee, payable at the same time as the RFL? The plates would be non-transferable, other than to a vehicle owned by the same registered keeper and combinations that were too close to another would not be issued. If the annual payment wasn't made, then the DVLA take the plate back for reissue to someone else at the same fixed fee.