Sport Cat vs Standard Cat vs de-cat

Drew

Hi,

ok ive got a raceland mani which is gonna be fitted to my car soon.

I'm getting a custom cat back system made up, but i cant decide what to go for cat wise.

I had a sports cat on my last car and im not sure if it made that much of a difference. The guy who i was speaking to said tbh a sport cat will give you 3-4% increase is this right?

He said an option was to do a bolt on de-cat so it can be removed for MOT time, but how do GTI's run with de-cats?

The other option is just have my mani, orignal cat then the cat back system.

What have you people got out there and which do you think is the best option? from yuor experience?

Cheers

Anybody running any of the above? within there system? :)

I know Casper is but ayone else?

I have a 200cell sports cat and have had it remapped...think it was more torquey with the sports cat and since the remap it seems much better alltogether! I have heard bad reports when it comes to decats...personally I would rather have a sports cat but opinions differ! :rolleyes:

I would expect it to be quicker with a sports cat, a decat will give you zero backpressure which is bad. On FI cars you want the least resistance possible, but not on an NA

Yeah i've heard that you'll lose back pressure with a de-cat and obviously dont want that!, i also cant be chewed with switching it for MOT.

Is a sports cat a sports cat? if you get my drift? I saw a 200 cell sports cat on ebay last month for 99p but then see some for £150 does it matter aslong as the exhaust place can make up the pipes either end for it?

Yeah, i think the '200 cell' is something to do with the surface area inside it. I think cats are pretty much all the same, so as you say its just a case of making it fit with the existing pipework.

All this talk about back pressure.... im sure I spoke to a guy that rebuilds race engines told me that its not the back pressure which will cause issues, its Pulse Timing?... or i might be getting confused with something else¬!! lol

Oh, BTW.

I have a raceland mani and de-cat, its very revvy, seems to have lost a slight ammount of torque IMO. Feels quicker, but my engine management light has just come on yesterday with the emmissions. Going to have a normal cat put on, with a cat-back system

Most cars that run 100cell Race Cats fail MOT emission tests.

Does anyone how whether a GTI would fail though?

I'm quite interested in this and can't find much information regarding this type of thing for the Lupo GTi . . . .new region it would seem.

Sam

Back pressure is needed in NA cars for efficient burning of exhaust gasses.

On the exhaust stroke of the engine, fuel rich gasses are pushed in to the manifold due to valve overlap and unburnt gasses from the previous compression stroke. These gasses can be burnt, which in theory gives you torque provided you can get them back in the engine.

Back pressure in the exhaust system aids the fuel rich gasses to be pushed back towards the engine to be effectivly burnt, loosing them, looses effective power or torque of the engine.

Forced induction is different as there is little or no need for back pressure hence the scooby having a small cat and a big exhaust system. Infact the sti engine apparenly can nearly pass an emissions test withough a cat all together, every engine is different, personally i think a 100cell is too small for a road going NA car.

A 200cell High flow cat is what you would want for road use, 100cell's are a bit to small, and may well give you emissions issues. I have a 200cell on mine and it passed no problems.

Cat's now-a-days arent that restrictive anyway.

IMO the best sort of system for the GTi would be a raceland mani or custom mani, 200cell high flow cat with a matching manifold-back system, at the same pipe bore size as the original.

Edited by CasperGTI