Check your 20p's

Picola

The Royal Mint as produced a batch of 200,000 faulty 20 pence pieces without a date on. One of them sold on ebay fetched £5000!

They can be worth £50 each, or 5000 if your find someone totally daft enough to spend that much!

Apparently they say 'new' pence instead of 'two' pence somewhere on them too.

Believe it or not, that relates to some 2p coins that were minted a few years ago, and never released.

I don't think anyone's paid £5,000 for any of these - I've been keeping an eye! Around £500 is the most I've seen one go for, but I wouldn't sniff at that.

Believe it or not, that relates to some 2p coins that were minted a few years ago, and never released.

Never released? I have seen plenty of 2p coins in circulation that say 'new pence' :huh:

This reminds me of those £2 coins released where the queen had a necklace on. In the end they were still only worth £2.

Never released? I have seen plenty of 2p coins in circulation that say 'new pence' :huh:

This reminds me of those £2 coins released where the queen had a necklace on. In the end they were still only worth £2.

Older two pence coins rightly have "New Pence" written on them, as they were post decimalisation and needed clarification. That was dropped eventually for "Two Pence", but appeared on a later batch, incorrectly, which didn't make it to the public.

£2 Coin Necklace rumour myth

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up John.

Checked my 20p's and found they all had a date :(

Does anyone remember the first batch of the current style £5 notes where the serial numbers could be rubbed off?

Apparently the company offering £50 KNOW its worth more than 50 and they intend to sell it themselves for more! £50 is the LOW end

I raided the tills at work, lol...but didnt find one. Might place a change order from the post office and over order 20ps, lol

Edited by Rattic

Was just on about this last night.

Apparently some of the ones on eBay, usually the £50 Buy It Now ones, just say that it doesn't have a date on the Queens head side of the coin, which is just a normal 20p piece.

They're only worth what people are willing to pay. The private company paying £50 per coin apparently make you jump through a lot of hoops, make you give a lot of personal details (probably worth a few bob to them anyway as they'll sell those on) and only allow one coin per household.

The value of these coins IMHO is very overrated at the moment.

I saw one on a buy it now for £20,000. Sub heading was 'Get in the papers for buying the most expensive 20p ever'

What a load of crap, losers