The Powder Room

Clairey Fairy

This doesnt happen very often in my life, but for the past week ive been feeling really really feminine :huh: Like, im actually giving a damn what my hair looks like, im worried im all pale and i want a spray tan or sun bed, im waxing instead of shaving and im actually considering wearing make up :o Ive never really given two hoots about myself up until now, so its all a bit strage to me. Id rather get engine oil stuck in my finger nails than go for a manicure sort of thing.

Now im not sure if its spring fever or what-not, but ive decided the only cure for this is to give this femininity thing a go :wacko: This thread is dedicated to the girls, and all the products that work, smell nice, make hair un-fuzzy or gets rid of it, mascara that doesnt leave panda eyes, fake tans that dont make you look like an Oompa loompa etc etc.

I really need a helping hand on the tanning front. Im scared of self tans so thats a no...anyone had a spray tan? Do they leak off in the shower? Are they orange? What about that St.Tropez stuff that people rub on you? Do you end up smelling like a curry afterwards?

I also think its time to get rid of the pink hair........................

:o

Edited by Clairey Fairy

I know a bit about the tanning, my gf is a beauty therapist and they do that sorta thing at work. The St Tropez thing is what they do and she is at a proper high class salon so I presume thats the best one. You have to stand there in tiny paper knickers whilst the person sprays you and then they let it dry, you let it settle for a bit and then later on have a shower and it leaves a smooth tan. Smells a bit but not like a curry! They do the home kit too which she tried but the spray is better.

I feel like a right nonce for knowing that!

Hi.

I should be able to help on the tanning front - living in Liverpool and all that lol. Spray tans arn't brilliant, but then again it depends on how professional the place is thats doing it. I had one that went all blotchy and it wasn't cheap.

I just stick to Dove summer glow - it gets darker/develops as the days go on. It smells fit and it hasnt gone blotchy/streaky on me yet. Ive tried the nivea version, the johnson 'holiday skin' version and they are pants. If you do go for the dove stuff or another brand, DONT put it on if your going to bed as when you get warm those parts of your body go extra brown...so you'll be all patchy - not a good look. The johnson 'holiday skin' stuff smells like curry - not attractive at all!

The l'oreal spray mist stuff is good - you literally only need a one coat..anymore and you'll be erm orange!

http://www.ciao.co.uk/L_Oreal_Self_Tan_Spray__5129227 - a good review on it there

Edited by Aimee_R

Hahaha!! Omg i thought that was just a myth! :lol:

Nope, not a myth. If you dont want to be in the complete nud some girls do wear bras but it's miles better to wear a thong/g-string and then you get an all over glow ;):lol:

Edited by Aimee_R

How about "Fake Bake" ? Apparently it smells nicer than St.Tropez...its alot more expensive though!

I need new heat protect/straighteny stuff. I can stand the smell of Paul Stafford stuff - its gross.

The johnson 'holiday skin' stuff smells like curry - not attractive at all!

I found it made me smell of biscuits! But I still use it, just shower it off once the biscuit smell develops (which does mean it can't develop the tan properly, but as I'm really pale skinned it still gives me enough of a glow!).

As for mascara, I just started using Rimmel Glam Eyes *waterproof* mascara (not the normal one) - haven't suffered from panda eyes yet, it lasts really well and makes for nice thick lashes :D

I've used Johnson's holiday skin for years and I always thought it was good, but in the last year I've found it to be less good, a bit patchy and streaky. My friend uses the Dove one and says its really good. Rimmel does a good one that washes off, so you can just use it for a night out, and because its dark coloured as its going on, you can see where you've missed. Because I'm quite pale skinned and don't want to be orange, I use the lighter one and it gives a nice natural glow.

I had a spray tan 2 years ago and it was great. I was a bit embaressed about the whole topless / paper knicker thing but once I was there it was fine. If you want you can wear a bra and knickers as someone has said, but you get much better coverage if you don't. Just remember to stay indoors the evening after you've had it, because I went to the cinema looking nicely tanned and left there so dark that you could only see the whites of my eyes and my teeth! :lol: You have a shower the next day though and it gets rid of all the excess.

Edited by lululupo

I'm allergic to pretty much everything (come out in hives, blotches, puss filled lumps or any combination of the three when I have a reaction) so I have to be really careful what I use.

Mascara - I'm using one of the max factor total effects ones at the mo. Doesn't clump, no panda eyes but not the easiest to take off at bedtime (especially if you've been drinking!)

Fake tan - can't help as all the things I've tried, I've had a reaction to so I've given up trying!

Hair - the ghd heat protection spray seems really good. Admittedly i've only used it twice so far! (since my ghds arrived in the week!)

Skin - dermalogica antibac foaming cleanser rules :) Just a shame it's like £30 a bottle!

Makeup - prescriptives foundation ftw! They match it to your skin tone so you don't end up with an orange face and a white neck!

I know a bit about the tanning, my gf is a beauty therapist and they do that sorta thing at work. The St Tropez thing is what they do and she is at a proper high class salon so I presume thats the best one. You have to stand there in tiny paper knickers whilst the person sprays you and then they let it dry, you let it settle for a bit and then later on have a shower and it leaves a smooth tan. Smells a bit but not like a curry! They do the home kit too which she tried but the spray is better.

I feel like a right nonce for knowing that!

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :lol:

I'm only joking!

The key is in the preperation.

You should exfoliate regulary, and moisturise.

Johnsons holiday skin is the biggest pile of cack since cack began. Garnier summer glow not only smells nicer, it goes on smoother, doesnt come out of the bottle looking like a lump of bad discharge and gives a better colour.

But, it depends on your natural skin remember

And gettin natural sun is good, but cover up if sun bathing. Ive only just got into the habit of using sunscreen and I wish to God I hadn't worshipped the sun so much.