What to do with the rubber door handle coating.

What can be done with that horrid VW coating thats on the interior door handles and window switches.....

Mine is all scratched and looks rubbish, luckily the Lupo doesn't have that much of it.

Anybody scrapped it all off?

I dont think they are expensive to replace, but I guess they are plastic under a layer of rubber? If so you could scrape it off and then paint the plastic dont think anyone on here has done it though

Well if you start now you will have done it by the time it gets dark ;)

Do other models share the same crap coated handles? Cant say i have noticed it in other VWs ive been in

Mums Mk iv Golf is full of panels covered in that stuff, arm rest, center console panels, handles.... loads of stuff.

Just looked on ETKA, guess it would cost around £30 for the grab handles and covers, dont know about the switch surrounds.

I totally agree with this thread, I hate the effect they get. My Tdi was absolutly fine, polo and this lupo are marked to ****.

You can just buy replacements for £14+VAT. IIRC

My drivers side one was all scratched, at Ed 38 2007 i spotted a brand new handle in the auto jungle for £5. I fitted it at Ed 38 2008.

I have ssen a car with it all removed and imo it looked crap, so i would buy all new handles.

• 4 weeks later...

Plastidip FTW

A member on here asked if anyone had used it last year some time. It looked kind of cool so i ordered some to test out. Its magic at covering

plastic. The finish is rubbry just like the original coating but you can obviously make it thicker so its not going to rub off. At some point i am going to

do my whole lower dash in it but i will do that with the compressor rather than cans. I have already used it on the Lupo in a few places. I have been

toying with the idea of doing my wheels.

Its a very fun to spray as it is very good as self levelling unlike standard car paint.It is not that hard to get good results with. I dont have any pictures

of things i have spreayed to hand so i will use it as an excuse to post some plastidip/VW related images

plastidip2.jpg

DSC01286.sized.jpg

3500394379_936bbdddec.jpg

3500395423_6227e6e047.jpg

3500398483_21d36c6587.jpg

3500404363_796438a3d1.jpg

There is an interesting theory that speed trap lazers cant bounce off of the black plastidip :lol:

mirror%20side%20driver.jpg

3509676680_9853d14878_b.jpg

3509691514_1d111cf594_b.jpg

3509729478_f5b9b76216_b.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

2450499729_35310e99c6.jpg

Edited by Unheard

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Plastidip-Ltd/plastidip.html

http://www.plastidip.co.uk

It works out slightly less form the main site, i don't know why its usually the other way but you can now use paypal on the main

site so i cant see a any point to use ebay any more. I was happy to pay a bit more just so i could use paypal as its faster than playing the

where did i put my wallet last game.

Might try this out. Which one did you use Unheard?

I have used the black aerosol spray and the black can of paint. Its the same stuff really but one is in a can and

one you paint on by brush. The spray like any spray is thinner and idealy requires a few coats built up. If you wanted to

use it for things like coating the underside of the car, the wishbones,main body of some coilovers or even springs then the paint

on stuff is going to do the job better as you can get it on thicker.

Its the idea stone chip protecting for metal, rather than normal paint that chips or under seal that's messy this stuff will remain flexible

yet smooth and clean.

They do sell a primer its not really needed but for best results its probably worth getting

PLASTI DIP® sticks to just about anything, and on most surfaces bonds permanently. However, as with any coating, primed surfaces

are always best, and for this reason we have developed our Primer to increase adhesion to most surfaces by up to 400%.

If and when i get around to doing my lower dash i will get the paint in the can form and use the thinners so it can use it with my

compressor. As with any spray can once it gets low on paint and pressure it will start to splatter. Its not a problem if you get enough cans to

do the job well. you can use the last of a can on something less important its just not worth destroying your work for the sake of getting your monys

worth from the can, unlike regular paint you cant really sand this stuff down in the same way so avoiding dust, crap and splatters is vital.

It is very easy to use. When you spray it on it does not look at all flat but its quite amazing watching it dry. It will self level quite a lot then shrink flat.

Before using it on my car i actually used if a wooden sculpture i was working on. It was a new material to play with and rather than wanting it to look clean and flat

i wanted a textured brush fee so i was letting it dry out before brushing over itl. From that i worked out if you intend on getting some of the brush on stuff thinners are

a very good idea. I ended up with quite a few solid rubber brushes :rolleyes: