1.0 engine

mudoje

I think this is the place for question.

I'm interested what kind of problems can afflict this basic engine as well as is it generaly reliable engine and how much it can go before time for general engine repair.

Thanks.

I have the AUC 1.0L engine, its got 95K on the clock an still runs sweet as a nut. as long as you service it regurally you shouldent have a problem. the only weak points i have found is the coil pack. Oh the throttle body tends to get gummed up an causes it to "hunt" at idle, a good clean tends to sort this out as well.

My old 1.0 had 4k on it when i bought it, i learned to drive it it and put about 10k on it motorway miles and a lot of short journeys, then my cousin bought it and learned to drive in it as well, shes a girl and a such doesnt realise that cars need servicing so she does about 300 miles a week in it and never looks after it. Jumped in it the other week and it sounds mint still! So in conclusion - pretty bombproof!

I absolutely hammered my 1.0 when I had it

Took it down the drag strip a few times, took it to Belgium (pretty much flat out all the way) and drove it pretty much pedal to the floor everywhere! The only money I spent on it in 30,000 miles was 1 cambelt and a couple of services.

I couldn't fault it, for what it was :)

I absolutely hammered my 1.0 when I had it

Took it down the drag strip a few times, took it to Belgium (pretty much flat out all the way) and drove it pretty much pedal to the floor everywhere! The only money I spent on it in 30,000 miles was 1 cambelt and a couple of services.

I couldn't fault it, for what it was :)

I presume that it wasn't so good idea to drive it above 75 mph as cruising speed considering only 50 hp

Cruising speed onthe 1.0 isabout 85MPH as it likes the revs above 4.5rpm.

I drove mine hard, even when cold, and from new to 35,500 miles in less than two years nothing went wrong except things due my my own actions.

Heard of few (ie. 2) failures.

I was back and forth to uni in mine, could cruise all day long at "motorway speeds" no problem. Make sure you have the sound deadening under the bonnet and/or good stereo to drown out the noise! I reckon my ibiza is marginally noisier and its got exhaust/induction kit on it haha

Do they charge you more for that or the same price regardless of how long u take :P

:lol:

It was fun though!

I presume that it wasn't so good idea to drive it above 75 mph as cruising speed considering only 50 hp

Probably not, but it was well looked after and never missed a beat. Above 70 they tend to drink fuel, well, they drink fuel a lot. :lol:

Do they charge you more for that or the same price regardless of how long u take :P

LOL :P

:lol:

It was fun though!

Probably not, but it was well looked after and never missed a beat. Above 70 they tend to drink fuel, well, they drink fuel a lot. :lol:

I't s expected to struggle from 70 on because it is weak engine and you pay it with fuel and noise, considering it weights above 800 kg it should make troubles from 4th gear on. Speaking about fuel, how much fuel it consumed around the town and could it follow stronger cars when traffic isn't absolutely crowded

No, it seems someone else did you the honours of breaking the Lupo after you sold it!

most probably poor lupo died soon after :)

Yes :D

...And if I can't break it, it's a good car, I couldn't break the 1.0 Lupo. :lol:

Less said about the Corrado 16v, Mk3 Golf TDi and Polo G40 the better!

what generation is polo g40

Edited by mudoje

1.0s are great, they are a little buzzy on the motorway, as its doing over 4Krpm at decent speeds. 4K is actually 75 on the clicks. Though i have regularily had 90 out of mine, it holds the speed well too.

The worst thing about 1.0s, is it hates hills, you really have to work it to get up steep climbs. But other than that im always amased when i get back in mine. I dont often drive it so think its really really slow, but it always impresses me that its not as slow as i think. It copes very well for something which has only 50bhp. I had a great day out in mine a few weeks back, on some good country roads, i didnt notice anyone keeping up with me either! Thing is to keep the speed high and just hold on, lose the speed and you will stop :lol: Since the 1.0 is so light, its very chuckable and handles well. Though my 1.0S Arosa is the stiffest standard car i have been in, which probably helps the cornering.

Reliability wise, well ive probably had more problams than most, as mine had a new engine - when it was still under warranty. This was at only 25K miles and 2 years old. However i mainly put that down to the useless Seat dealer and the brain dead people who work there. They wouldnt listen to me, i had the car checked out by a good indy before i took it to the dealer, but they refused to believe what the problem was (sticking valve lifter) so set about ruining the engine! Eventually, after they had had my car for over 3 months! (i did have a Ibiza as replacement though) i got onto SeatUK, who were very helpful and requested to the dealer that a brand new engine was fitted. It was and 17K miles later its still running like a dream, very nice engine, which never uses a drop of oil or coolent. Plus the oil is never dirty. Mind its changed and flushed every 8 months, which in its current average mileage means every 2K miles.

Economy isnt too bad, at high motorway speeds it does drink a lot for a 1.0, but if you take it carefully you should see 45MPG without too much problem.

Id really recommend one, ive not heard of many problems with the 1.0, it seems the 1.4s tend to suffer from problems the worst.

Service it when it needs it, change the cambelt and water pump and you should have a very reliable car.

Oh, id recommend a 1.0S Arosa, very high spec for a 1.0 car, looks better and costs less B) - My opinion of course!

most probably poor lupo died soon after :)

what generation is polo g40

It died when the next owner hit a lampost, the engine was fine by all accounts.... :rolleyes:

The G40 was a Mk3 Polo.

1.0s are great, they are a little buzzy on the motorway, as its doing over 4Krpm at decent speeds. 4K is actually 75 on the clicks. Though i have regularily had 90 out of mine, it holds the speed well too.

The worst thing about 1.0s, is it hates hills, you really have to work it to get up steep climbs. But other than that im always amased when i get back in mine. I dont often drive it so think its really really slow, but it always impresses me that its not as slow as i think. It copes very well for something which has only 50bhp. I had a great day out in mine a few weeks back, on some good country roads, i didnt notice anyone keeping up with me either! Thing is to keep the speed high and just hold on, lose the speed and you will stop :lol: Since the 1.0 is so light, its very chuckable and handles well. Though my 1.0S Arosa is the stiffest standard car i have been in, which probably helps the cornering.

Reliability wise, well ive probably had more problams than most, as mine had a new engine - when it was still under warranty. This was at only 25K miles and 2 years old. However i mainly put that down to the useless Seat dealer and the brain dead people who work there. They wouldnt listen to me, i had the car checked out by a good indy before i took it to the dealer, but they refused to believe what the problem was (sticking valve lifter) so set about ruining the engine! Eventually, after they had had my car for over 3 months! (i did have a Ibiza as replacement though) i got onto SeatUK, who were very helpful and requested to the dealer that a brand new engine was fitted. It was and 17K miles later its still running like a dream, very nice engine, which never uses a drop of oil or coolent. Plus the oil is never dirty. Mind its changed and flushed every 8 months, which in its current average mileage means every 2K miles.

Economy isnt too bad, at high motorway speeds it does drink a lot for a 1.0, but if you take it carefully you should see 45MPG without too much problem.

Id really recommend one, ive not heard of many problems with the 1.0, it seems the 1.4s tend to suffer from problems the worst.

Service it when it needs it, change the cambelt and water pump and you should have a very reliable car.

Oh, id recommend a 1.0S Arosa, very high spec for a 1.0 car, looks better and costs less B) - My opinion of course!

thanx for detailed explaination

I agree with this. I own the 1.0l and have had mine for 8 years now and the only things I've had to replace are the usual at service miles (cambelt, sparks, oil filter, brake fluid etc). Would recommend it to anyone. I agree with the hills but it copes great on normal roads. Brill inner city car, gets in the smallest parking places, and keeps up with the traffic on the motorways. What more do you want from a car :)

Personally, the 1.0 engine is pretty crap imo, mines just gone onto 3 cylinders for the third time in a month and its only done 30k on the clock and i dont rag it either cause its my pride and joy, cold starts are pretty awful as well, so go for the 1.4 i think.

Hope this helps, James.