Bikes Bikes Bikes

jcarroll

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And.... back to pedal power.

I have a slight problem I am hoping someone on here may be able to help me with :)

I have a mongoose teocali comp which looks like this (not mine, just an image I found on line):

see here.

Now the problem I have is that it is too big for my Thule 591 proride roof rack :( The arm of the proride when stretched to it's highest point is about 12cm too short to grab the frame of my bike, the arm is 48cm long and would need to be 60cm long to reach :o

So who has what roof rack system and could you give it a quick measure for me so I know what ones my bike will fit?

Im gutted as I really like the Proride 591's because of the build quality and the locking function. Whatever I get has to lock to the roof bars and the bike and I dont want to have to take my front wheel off :(

Let's see what you can come up with, thanks in advance :)

Sorry dude, my brother inlaw has already bagged them for the same price I paid - they are brand new and used once so he snapped them up.

Anyone have any ideas? I really want to be able to stick my bike on the roof :(

Possibly a silly idea, but can you get the bike on your current bike rack upside-down? So the wheels are pointing skywards, therefore putting the frame closer to the roof rack?

Edited by lunalupi

Possibly a silly idea, but can you get the bike on your current bike rack upside-down? So the wheels are pointing skywards, therefore putting the frame closer to the roof rack?

Nope, there is nothing there to hold the handle bars from turning or to put the seat in. It is the type where the wheels sit in the groove and an arm reaches up to grab the frame....only on mine it wont reach :(

Thanks for the suggestion though, all help is greatly received :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this thread

Here's my bike. Had it since new, i'll give a brief spec

DMR transition frame

custom white rockshox argyle 409 forks

profile cranks

profile mtb hubs in brown with brown profile chainring

LTD eddition hayes hfx 9 in chrome

etc etc

This is the most recent photo I could find

pbpic3624611.jpg

And an older one before the new brake and wheels chainring etc

pbpic1783575.jpg

Riding one for good measure, nothing special but I love it

pbpic3334578.jpg

Sam

Sam you should be wearing a helmet if your mounting walls like that!

I was very tired when I first read this and it resulted in me laughing alot

With reguards wearing a helmet I do when I travel away or try something new but hammering the local park which I know like the back of my hand I dont see the need. Its a faff finding it then taking it down and taking it on and off every time a ride then stop to talk. Just me being epically lazy

Always have massive respect for those that wear helmets

This was my bike that i reluctantly got rid of 18 months ago when my twin boys arrived. Thought it best for a bit as i didnt want to risk being wiped out now i'm a new dad. Will have another one day, probably when they want bikes so i can keep an eye on them. :D

8bed_12.jpg

• 2 months later...

never seen this thread, some cool bikes!!

heres mine

demo 9 loved this frame although the 9 could have stood for how many tones it was :P

DSCF4701.jpg

sold the demo frame and got this

rotec rl9 aint finished the build yet still need a rear rim but cant w8!!! :wub:

IMG_5315.jpg

and just for good measure one of me in my first and only race so far.

4048044368_3cf7f2abf81.jpg

unfortunatly in my race run the dude infront fell off so i had to stop so got a rubish time :(

Swinburn - first off, thats a cool pic of you in the race, and your new bike is looking sweet! I'm still quiet new to riding in the wet/muddy stuff and have been gradually setting my bike up, just out of interest what kind of pressure do you run in your tyres and what tyres do you use? Mine seem to wash out with no grip sometimes when going round corners which gives for some close calls or stacks into trees :( I don't expect to be great at riding as I'm a newbe but Some tips on tyres would be cool if you have any!

:)

haha thanks dude.

iv only been riding just over a year so i dont have to much know how if you get me. iv only ran one type of tyre (intense ones in the pics) cant remeber there name, there 2.7s gave me plenty of grip in all conditions but there a very heavy tire. erm if you wanting majour grip in the wet tho maxxis wetscreams have been highley recomended, as for pressure i dont realy bother that much i just go by how they look haha but sum of my mates run about 24 may be a bit less in bad conditions

probly not helped at all sorry but thats all i know :P haha

Hey Stealthie, I run these tyres and have done for the past 5 years on all my bikes (abit sad) I find them a good all round tyre which can be used all year. I woont go into what psi i run as it would be different for you because of rider weight

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Continental-Vertical-26-x-2-3-MTB-Tyre-X-2-Pair-NEW-/360241635714?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item53e0132182

Cheers guys, I was asking about pressure as I know that too high and it will not have the flex in it to grip etc and as I have fairly chunky tyres already I think that is what the problem is :confused: I'm 6.2" so about the same height as Swinburn (noticed you said you were 6.3" somewhere when you were talking about basketball!) so figured he would be around the same kind of weight as me. I'm going to have a good play around with tyres on my next ride I think!

Let you know how it goes! :)

Slowly trying to set my bike up for the mega this year (if you dont know what it is google megavalance ;) ), dropping weight off it and finding a sweet spot between enough and not enough travel. No pics of the bike on its own but a few from last weekend:

30521_1365124020964_1617540034_891126_7682057_n.jpg

30521_1365121860910_1617540034_891075_5935192_n.jpg

30521_1365121100891_1617540034_891057_4521936_n.jpg

30521_1365119940862_1617540034_891030_7128410_n.jpg

Edit: Riding at Silton and Hamsterley

Edited by bobbo

aa yr doin the mage, crazy person :P haha

Tell me about it, i'm ****tin em

I found 150mm on the front and 7inch on the rear was perfect for all riding :) Weighed in at about 32lbs

Well my Lyricks are 165 and i reckon the rear is about 7, not too sure as i put a shorter shock on to match the front and slacken the head angle to compensate for shorter forks. Riding nice so far though, mates on bigger bikes aren't getting away anyway :D .

Yep I know what it is, good luck with that mate :)

I so need to find some good places to ride round, there is not much round here other than routes. I'd like to find some tracks to ride round to get some practise in. We tend to go out for a day of riding round with lots of up hills to find some good downy bits! I missed out on the trip to Bedgbury with the other guys when they went but when the weather picks up another trip will be planned.

Ben, as much as i am a fan of Gusset Prison's, i would say the smaller ones. Are these for the fixie? Gusset's only really work on 24/26 hardtails imo.