Lupo Calenders...

MattyB

Right then - a guy on EVO forum has all the *proper* equipment for making *proper* glossy calenders, and he's offered to make us some (aswell as other car forums). Here's what he says...

Quality is dependent on the artwork you supply, ie if you give me shit it will look shit. All images need to be at 300 dpi photos / logos. Your club is best producing its own artwork else there will be further charges for setting. Prices are cheap this year as Im trying to get into the market of car clubs.  

4/0 front cover on 200 matt art and 6 leaves of 4/4 on 150 matt art `wiro-bound` with white board back.  

A3 in size :  

100 @ £ 1000  

300 @ £ 1100  

500 @ £ 1200  

750 @ £ 1550  

A4 in size :  

100 @ £ 675  

300 @ £ 735  

500 @ £ 795  

750 @ £ 935  

A4 ones work out to £6.75 each, A3 £10. Which aint bad at all really. However, 100 might be a *few* too many, tbh I reckon we'd struggle to sell 50 of em wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> but I suppose we've got a few months. I want to gauge the interest before I commit - I don't wanna fork out over £300 (or even £500!) to find I can only shift 10 or so.

What ya reckon?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300dpi at A3 size means pictures of approx. resolution 5,100 pixels by 3,300 pixels (17 megapixels)

300dpi at A4 size means pictures of approx. resolution 3,600 pixels by 2,400 pixels (8.6 megapixels)

The biggest I can supply is 5 megapixels, and I doubt anyone has a digicam (or even a film camera) capable of producing 17 megapixels), so I don't think we can go above A4 in size.

Can he give us a price for 50?

We were talking about a calendar a while back - I think it was taking a bit too much organising sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I'm all for it, but possibly a little concerned about numbers.

Snoop, I don't think the idea is that the pics cover the whole page - gotta have room for the dates and stuff on a calendar :wink:

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Snoop, I don't think the idea is that the pics cover the whole page - gotta have room for the dates and stuff on a calendar :wink:

Says `wiro-bound` - doesn't that mean that the top leaf has the picture and the bottom leaf has the dates?

QUOTE(DubDub)
QUOTE(Crusoe)
lupo ladies and their cars wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I left that one wide open for ya didn't I biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i've got a 4mega pix camera :roll:

Sounds alrite to me @ calendars.. I'll need new ones to replace all my Justin ones tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> lol

Reeeeallllly want a calendar or two, one for work and one for home!!!

Hey Crusoe, that wasn't a predictable response at all!!!!

I understand it was getting to be a bit of a bind sorting out the calendar but I have an idea...... hows about all the pics go into a poll all at once so there's no messing round deciding each month, etc. Say we all can choose 12 out of all the pics shown and the 12 most popular ones win. Then separate post to decide wot goes in each month?

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Snoop. I presume your file size figures are in jpeg. tiffs would meet reqd level no problem. as for film easy peasy. 35mm would do it let alone medium format.

6mb chip, 12mb raw file, 17mb tiffs. straight off the chip with no interpolation

Jayson gizmo boy

Uhhh, I'm talking megapixels, not megabytes. The size of the file is irrelevant (although an uncompressed format like TIFF would be preferable), it's the number of pixels that make up the image that is the important factor.

Yours is a 6mp chip, not 6mb, which means that the images consist of 6 million pixels, whatever format they're saved in.

Incidentally, it's generally accepted that 35mm film can only realistically resolve `10-15megapixels`. Obviously this varies depending on the camera and, of course, the grain size of the film, but you really need medium format to get 17 megapixels reliably.

Of course, 35mm shots can be enlarged and not have the pixel artefacts that digital images have, so it's a lot less visible.

For simplicity I often use mb as an interchangable reference. Yes I know its wrong but generally get away with it. Esp in the spoken word eg if you were speaking to someone and said you have 500 meg of ram and a 6 meg camera. Peolple geneally know one is megabytes and one is mega pixels. I conced I was wrong to write the cam pixel count as mb.

Moving on.

Before this turns into a one upman ship sort of post. And without the input from the actual calender person who being as they have all the proper gear may well (or may not) prefer a good old fashioned transparency.

Agree more pixels the merrier. But calenders have been produced for many a decade before the pixel came to town. I am sure plenty of those were produced from 35mm film stock. But plenty more with medium format. I think we agree in principle but coming from different angles.

If this was going to be a national calender sold by the `000 through WHSmith etc we would not be having this conversation. As it is, more likely to see a print run of a 100 and viewed by a bunch of biased lupo owners who would only be to happy to see their chosen chariot adorning the wall and not give a toss about the production side of things.

Jayson

Yeah, that should do it. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Anyway, my only point regarding your post was that saying a TIFF is better for the job than a JPG is incorrect, as it's the scalability that matters, not the size on the disk, and a TIFF version of an image has exactly the same resolution as a JPG version.

If I was making a calendar I'd want it done right, and my original post was only pointing out that A3 is pretty much unfeasible from a digital source, and that if we do go ahead with this, we need `high-res` images to make it look anything other than tacky, even on A4. If I wanted a tacky calendar I'd print one out on my inkjet (or work's colour laser, if I was knocking myself out). But this is an opportunity to get something professional looking, if we supply the right source material.

Just my opinion, though. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

So what we'd need was someone with a really good camera (preferably digital) and 12 of the best Lupo's in a nice scenic location smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'm thinking...

One picture of a various standard Lupos.

One picture of 5 GTi's (standard?), one in each colour

Few pictures of some of the best ones - Cliffords, Matt/Superlupo's (if finished wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> and others

But that still leaves us with `5-6` other months to fill...suggestions?