Lowered Abarth 500

krieglupo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I followed a 500 home yesterday, that thing looked taller than the Ibiza!

One thing I've noticed about the 'other' 500, the Ford Ka, is that it lacks the wheel arch flares and looks rather tall and narrow as a result. Hopefully an ST version will rectify that.

Hence why despite it being full of boat shoes owning Tory's I tend to get my car forum fix from Pistonheads nowadays.

Hey what's wrong with boat shoes? :angry:

...and I agree with the blinkers. Take them off; you may be surprised.

Rarity means one of the following, doesn't represent value for money over competitors offerings, totally crap or produced in limited numbers. We chose a newCooper over a Lupo GTI in 2002 because the Cooper was better value overall, not because we were image led (think about VW badge snobbery and 'the scene').

The new Cooper S is a good car and represents value for money long term like the previous model. So what if they're all over the place.

Rarity means one of the following, doesn't represent value for money over competitors offerings, totally crap or produced in limited numbers. We chose a newCooper over a Lupo GTI in 2002 because the Cooper was better value overall, not because we were image led (think about VW badge snobbery and 'the scene').

The new Cooper S is a good car and represents value for money long term like the previous model. So what if they're all over the place.

i am not saying the mini is not a good car (because it is )

this may be why the lupo gti never sold well

and may be this car will nock the cooper s down a peg or two

I like the BMW Mini, though currently could never see myself owning one, and I like the FIAT 500.

However apart from car enthusiasts who buy for the performance and the experience rather than the badge I think there won't be much change over between ownership of the two.

People who buy BMWs generally, would look down on a FIAT.

Most Minis I see on the road around here seem to have been purchased as a second car to the husbands 5 or 7 series and are most commonly seen in shopping centre carparks and on the school run. I can't see a FIAT badge fitting into the perceived lifestyle.

... despite it being full of boat shoes owning Tory's ...

Sounds very, very scary…Boat shoes, Tories and Mock Fiat 500’s.

A Fiat 500 should have its engine in the back. I just can’t take these 500's seriously. I saw quite a few on the continent last week and they are not growing on me at all. Having said that I have nothing against Fiats, everyone I have ever driven has been entertaining. You can just imagine the pressure on Fiats top brass to produce a modern version of their iconic 500 having seen VW play around with the Beetle and Mini recreate one of the greatest cars of all time. Shame they gave in but it might help them stay in business.

may be this car will nock the cooper s down a peg or two

I think people buy the Mini for a number of reasons, notably residuals, cheapest way to buy a BMW and get into a premium brand, service costs are a pitance if you buy the service pack thing, the ride and handling are excellent.

Although the 500 (and the Panda for that matter) are a massive leap forward in terms of build quality for Fiat, I cannot see a Mini owner seeing the same brand value in the 500. Ride is certainly worse and I can see running costs being higher. Don't get me wrong, I like the 500, but not enough to think that I'd buy one; I'd be down to the local Mini shed at the back of the multi-million pound BMW dealers and looking at a Cooper Clubman D in chocolate brown first (even though they are hideous).

Sounds very, very scary…Boat shoes, Tories and Mock Fiat 500’s.

A Fiat 500 should have its engine in the back. I just can’t take these 500's seriously. I saw quite a few on the continent last week and they are not growing on me at all. Having said that I have nothing against Fiats, everyone I have ever driven has been entertaining. You can just imagine the pressure on Fiats top brass to produce a modern version of their iconic 500 having seen VW play around with the Beetle and Mini recreate one of the greatest cars of all time. Shame they gave in but it might help them stay in business.

Just need Ford to reimagine the Model T.

Edited by IDGM

Hey what's wrong with boat shoes? :angry:

...and I agree with the blinkers. Take them off; you may be surprised.

Sorry, no offence to people who actually wear shoes on boats, the boat shoes thing is an old EVO forum knock at Pistonheads.

Its good, but I don't think its that good, at least in pure dynamic terms. The MINI is still near perfect IMHO.

I've actually had chance to get in an Essesse recently and was far too lazy to post about it. If I'm honest, after looking forward to it so much I was a ever so slightly disappointed, but what I will say is it does have that Lupo GTI 'thing' of being fun at modest speeds. That I like, among other things.

• 1 month later...
I followed a 500 home yesterday, that thing looked taller than the Ibiza!

One thing I've noticed about the 'other' 500, the Ford Ka, is that it lacks the wheel arch flares and looks rather tall and narrow as a result. Hopefully an ST version will rectify that.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The rear lights are really big and close together which I think is the problem.

IDGM Seeing as there is 1 Abarth dealer in Scotland, and an amount I can count on my hand in England, Abarths are very rare.

Only 200 I think I remember reading over on abarthforum.co.uk, are coming to the UK this year.

The Grande Punto is a different story, but then I think a lot of people have forgotten about that in amongst all the A500 hype.