laws on number plates

HAIRBear

I've heard many differant versions of the laws on number plates, basically- by law where do they have to be?

I have to repair my back bumper and decided that at the same time I'm going to get the insert bit for the number plate filled and smoothed, like 'the brown one' only i dont want to move the plate to the boot. So am I going to get screwed over if i have the plate in the back window? I only have 3 points left before my liscence is gone as im in the first 2 years of passing so i dont want to be risking it!

im hoping this will be my lazy way out of going to the station and asking :lol:

so anyone know what the laws are...

Edited by HAIRBear

I think aslong as you have a light on it and its clear to see it should be ok. or go to a mot test center and ask them if the will pass it.

ah good thinking, ill take a trip to one tomoro actually, cheers mate! :D

You can get bolts to screw number plates on with a little LED in them which lights the plate and are perfectly legal

screw them on where?

You need to screw them through the plates and the boot hatch or bumper and the wiring can be routed through to the tail lights where I think they would just piggyback onto the live connection for your tail lights and any earth.

I've never fitted a set and have no idea where you'd get them but I have seen them on a few Max-Power cars back in the day.

You need to screw them through the plates and the boot hatch or bumper and the wiring can be routed through to the tail lights where I think they would just piggyback onto the live connection for your tail lights and any earth.

I've never fitted a set and have no idea where you'd get them but I have seen them on a few Max-Power cars back in the day.

ok now you've lost me hah

we still on the topic of putting the plates in the back window? :confused:

is that what needs to be done to get the lights on them? ...

No mate I'm on about mounting them on the outside of the car, either on the bumper or the boot lid

oh that would explain me being confused hah

nah im just looking to smooth off the back bumper, and already have the boot lid completely smoothed, badges and boot handle off, so wouldnt want to put it anywhere else but the window really, just want it to be legal aswell!

Put it in the back window with neons around it. Innit, brap, brap.

oooo GANGSTA! haha thats what i want to do, only with lights a bit more subtle haaa.:lol:

so is the verdict that number plates in the back window with a light on it is legal? ....

I'm not sure if it is to be honest but as long as its lit and visible you should be ok.

You might have to display it outside the car for the MOT though but you could probably engineer something so that it would pass

Tbh you cant exactly say to the police officer who pulls you over "but my friends on club lupo told me it was legal"

your better off going to the Mot centre like lupo_1.0 said and finding out, and maybe just to double check ask in ur police station too, wont take long :)

You dont want to do it and then find out tis not legal :P

im hoping this will be my lazy way out of going to the station and asking :lol:

so anyone know what the laws are...

look im a lazy sh*t alright! haha was just hoping someone on here would know or to get some insight to others experiences ect..

Tbh you cant exactly say to the police officer who pulls you over "but my friends on club lupo told me it was legal"

but yeah..corse not. would be funny though :lol:

You only get £30 fine for plates. That's it (i've had a plenty of them). If they see you out a again and stop you then you'll get a rectification notice (i've had 2 of them). You have to go to an MOT place to get it checked, they'll stamp it to say it's ok, then you go to the police station to prove that it's all good. After that, for eg. you remove your standard plate and display a smaller one again and you get cought again this seams to make them even more unhappy.... word of advice at this point, don't wind them up and comment about the lack of crime and them just pestering me with a little thing like number plates ;) Then they'll tell you that you have 7 days to change it and we're going to come round to your house to double check if you have or not. Not heard anything since :D

the lights. Click Me

ah good shout cheers dude, ill be getting some of them! :D

You only get £30 fine for plates. That's it (i've had a plenty of them). If they see you out a again and stop you then you'll get a rectification notice (i've had 2 of them). You have to go to an MOT place to get it checked, they'll stamp it to say it's ok, then you go to the police station to prove that it's all good. After that, for eg. you remove your standard plate and display a smaller one again and you get cought again this seams to make them even more unhappy.... word of advice at this point, don't wind them up and comment about the lack of crime and them just pestering me with a little thing like number plates ;) Then they'll tell you that you have 7 days to change it and we're going to come round to your house to double check if you have or not. Not heard anything since :D

i like your attitude mate haha yeah police really dont like back chat do they lol nod and agree with them is the way to go i say! i reckon i'll chance it.

defo didnt do a search before a made this actually! ha ma bad! :blush:

To clarify - that thread's about the front windscreen. It's certainly not legal there, as the screen is not at the front of the car and it would be difficult to display the plate vertically without it imparing your vision.

There's no hard and fast 'rule' about whether displaying your number plate behind glass is legal or not, it comes down to whether it makes it harder to read either by plain sight or camera. My personal opinion is that it's definitely harder to see behind glass due to reflection etc, and is therefore illegal. You may be told either way when asking. If a police officer decides it makes it harder to read, then that makes you guilty. You'd need to go to court to reverse that decision, which I think would be very difficult.

i got away with the front number plate on the sun visor. when i was spraying there was also a mot center on site. they said as long as the letters where the right size, the right spacing and clear to see it will pass, and mine did. i also got pulled over with it like that, it was traffic police too. they did make a comment on it but didnt take it anywhere.

maybe its just luck. so iam not saying do it and then tell the police i said it was ok lol.

i got away with the front number plate on the sun visor. when i was spraying there was also a mot center on site. they said as long as the letters where the right size, the right spacing and clear to see it will pass, and mine did. i also got pulled over with it like that, it was traffic police too. they did make a comment on it but didnt take it anywhere.

maybe its just luck. so iam not saying do it and then tell the police i said it was ok lol.

I think you were lucky, or had a reasonable excuse and a reasonable attitude. The text of the law is clear, but this example is slightly grey - it's unlikely that even the traffic cops that stopped you knew the law to the letter, and so used their own judgement.

Just nail the things to the front & back bumpers in a place that looks odd. That's what happens to most smoothed cars. I think the mod is a complete waste of time purely because you have to site the plates somewhere else and it never looks right.