iMac Applications

Tigz™

As with the previous iPhone Apps thread I'm just wondering what you guys recomend for apps for the iMac.

I installed iLife 09 last night, if you don't already have it, get it.

The GPS locations from the photos taken on an iPhone is great on the location map.

It has face recognition which seems a little hit and miss, but once you've 'tagged' a few photos seems to work really well.

I have Photoshop CS4 and final cut come off our friendly neighbourhood Spiderjon.

I'm gonna download the trial versions of iWork and office as I'm unsure which one Id prefer the most.

What else is a must have app your eyes?

And also, what software can I download to make ring tones for the iPhone?

As always with me, I like free applications :lol:

I've got both iWork and Office, and although I see the benefits with iWork, I find I prefer working in Office. I know, heresy!

On mine I couldn't live without iCal, VLC, all the handy plugins for Quicktime (perian,, divx flip4mac etc) and Transmission which is the best mac bittorrent client out there.

I also love Handbrake for ripping dvds into iPhone and full quality files. Its literally idiot proof.

I use Windows Live Sync to keep folders synced across my macs, thats very handy.

Onyx is a good disk utility tool.

I'd start with Perian, as thats a great plugin for QT, so good you might find you don't need the other ones I listed.

I've got Firefox and Camino on here, but I rarely step out of Safari. Mail does exactly what I ever need from an email client.

Isqint to convert movies to mp4 for the ipod.

Transmission for torrent downloads.

Itunes shut so you can listen to a number of tracks or time, and then have the mac switch of. Good if you like going to sleep to music.

Acquisition an alternative to msn messenger.

MacTheRipper rips dvds.

Im not really down with the cool kids when it comes to applications just use it as a media tool and internet browser really. :)

Edit because im an idiot and meant Adium as an alternative to msn messenger, aquisition is like Limewire.

Edited by simpo

Adium for messaging - does all networks (MSN/ICQ/AIM/Facebook etc etc etc) really well

Entourage for email (part of Office 2008)

Toast Titanium 9 for all CD/DVD burning stuff

Firefox

VLC plays most video formats

Flip4Mac WMV codec thingy

EyeTV for TV and PVR functionality

VMware fusion for running Windows (for the odd app where you need an M$ os)

TomatoTorrent for bittorrent stuff

Enjoy :)

I agree with Adium for messenger, i find it to be better than MSN, also if you want video messaging AMSN, its looks similar to MSN,

Office 2008 is okay, although its crashed on my once before, iworks is very good.

VLC is good so is front row, especially with the apple remote.

Thanks all.

I dont suppose there is an app which allows calls/texts from the mac?

Skype for calls perhaps? Please don't flame me, if there is a cooler program. :rolleyes:

Transmission which is the best mac bittorrent client out there.
Transmission for torrent downloads.0

hmmm... ok, so its installed, I've found the Torrents I want, the file shows in my downloads folder, I've added them to Transmission (I think) but they dont appear on view.

If I try to add them again it says "The torrent file cannot be opened because it is a duplicate of an already added transfer."

Any ideas?

hmmm... ok, so its installed, I've found the Torrents I want, the file shows in my downloads folder, I've added them to Transmission (I think) but they dont appear on view.

If I try to add them again it says "The torrent file cannot be opened because it is a duplicate of an already added transfer."

Any ideas?

once you have the torrent just open it with transmission...

at the top of toolbar in transmission you have a few different options....

active / seedings / paused etc

if you click 'all' you should be able to see whats downloading.

I am not a fan of transmission but thankfully you can get Utorrent for OS X. its still in beta but very stable. It gives me faster speeds than transmission was. The only downside is not being able to add a tracker. well i cant find a way :angry:

I Run OS X on my PC with Windows in a virtual machine full screen on the second screen. My setup

is like having a mac and PC running side by side i move across to one screen its windows and back to the

other is Leopard. Full integration is a big thing for me as i am more of a windows user than OS X i still don't

get the mac thing much of the layout slows me down and i cant get the programs i need so virtual machines

give me the best of both worlds. I need to able to run Final cut and that will only run on OS X. VMware fusion and paragon NTFS for Mac are invaluable to my setup.

If you want to run windows in a virtual machine under OS X then virtualbox is a free download and works very well i would recommend trying it with TinyXP. MacFUSE is a free alternative to NTFS for Mac but less straight forward than paragons solution. If you have an external hard drive that was used on your PC then NTFS for Mac will save you so much time

If you want to be able to run windows games on your mac then crossover games is the way to go i have only had a

play with it but i was impressed. Crossover is much the same as wine on Linux. It ports windows programs to mac without the need of an OS.

It would take a huge head trauma or lottery win for me to get a pre built mac, OS X it quite happy running on my PC

for much less of he cost, gota love Apple for making mac hardware virtually the same as a PC :lol:

Edited by Unheard