new phone?

little rich

alright all, im just deciding to go onto contract, iv got a n95 8gb atm which seems pretty cool. im clueless about these things so any help would be ace! all the phones are a similar price range.

phones im thinking off :

Sony Ericsson C905,

Samsung M8800 Pixon

Samsung F480 Tocco

Nokia 5800 Xpress Music

LG KC910 Renoir

Nokia N96

:) Rich.

I have just replaced my N95 with a SonyEricsson C905 and to be honest I think it is much better. I had intended to replace it with an N96 but after 15months I really lost faith in the Nokia and after having a play with an N96 felt it had not really progressed in terms of materials and build quality.

The Nokia had a very short battery life, the build quality was never that great and in the last few months some buttons notably the zoom function on the camera simply stopped working. Overall it gave me the feeling that Nokia had crammed too many features into the phone and not really developed them particularly well. It is still a brilliant idea and has many fantastic functions but the short comings eventually affect its usability. I know that the N96 is supposed to have resolved the previous models problems but it still felt a little too plastic.

The C905 does have a smaller (slightly) screen and the menus and interface is a little long winded compared to the Nokia but as a tactile device it is nicely weighted looks good the keys and sliding action are postive and solid feeling. The camera is better, the battery seems to last for much longer. The speaker is not as good as the Nokia (it may improve once I have familiarised myself with the settings. The only disadvantages that I have noticed so far is the signal strength seems weaker on this phone compared to the Nokia and that the main buttons (answer and end call) seem a little fiddly.

Oh and one final thing (pet rant) why do the different phone manufacturers move the space key around? I keep send text messages seperated by + signs.

ok cool, cheers for all that help

the 905 seems quite good, not too keen on the n96 now think i fancy something a little different.

a mate of mine was saying that the build on the samsungs and the LG's arent that good, any truth in this?

iv been looking into the nokia 5800, seems quite cool and stylish only things is the camera is only a 3,2mp would i notice a huge downer picture quality wise from my n95 ?

and these touchscreens they look smart but are they any good?!

thanks for all the help.

much appreciated

and andy i do love your loop!

Rich.

ok cool, cheers for all that help

the 905 seems quite good, not too keen on the n96 now think i fancy something a little different.

a mate of mine was saying that the build on the samsungs and the LG's arent that good, any truth in this?

iv been looking into the nokia 5800, seems quite cool and stylish only things is the camera is only a 3,2mp would i notice a huge downer picture quality wise from my n95 ?

and these touchscreens they look smart but are they any good?!

thanks for all the help.

much appreciated

and andy i do love your loop!

Rich.

mate has had his touch screen pixon for a week...

always kept in its case in his pocket, has still managed to get a big gash in the screen though :huh:

the screens get fubared too easy imo

Just spoke to a mate who has a Samsung with touch screen. She told me that the touch screen is quite difficult to get used to at first but, she too has reported that the screen is getting scratched now.

My Tocco is ****e, i hate it! It's been back once for dropping calls so much (literally every call after about 5 seconds) and still has problems locking up and dropping calls.

I agree with the above about touchscreens, i've got an ipod touch and it makes the tocco feel like something you'd pick up in the pound shop.

My C905 is rubbish, constantly picking up and dropping signal, freezes a-lot, and coming from a k800I the flash is rubbish and the image stabilizer doesn't work very well

Looking forward to my next upgrade tbh.

I've got a Tocca, dont make the same mistake as me!... the novelty of it soon wears off, i always think to myself, "im sure this would be lot easier with buttons". I've also got an ipod touch and compared to that the touch screen and quality of the Tocca seems poor.

Personally i think havin a really expensive phone is very over rated. cheep brick FTW! When this contract runs out im goin to get just a sim on contract and not the phone. its much cheeper a month for the same amount of texts etc, but just no flash phone.

after reading sum good reviews ive just orderd the 5800 on orange. i was gunna hold out for an iphone but my o2 bill every month is over the limit. so ive decided to go back with orange dolphin which has 3000 txts. suits me better.

im personally would go for the N96

ive got the downgrade (N95 8gb) to it and its by far the best phone ive had :)

I woudlnt touch the N96 with a 15ft barge pole. Its a useless phone, freezes, hangs up. and decides it wants to reset all the time. I have had 3 friends who have all the same problems, and they have all changed within 4 months of owning it.

Ive got an N95 8gb. Its the best phone ive owned. I have really smashed it up aswell, had it since they came out nearly 2 years or so ago now, and all ive done to it is upgraded the software in it once. the inbuilt GPS is brilliant too when you get the new nokia maps program, its like google earth mixed with a tomtom. Its been dropped from the top of a set of tail stagings at work, fell 20ft atleast, and only bares a scuff on one edge. the best phone nokia have made in a long time IMO. Id highly reccomend it if you can still get one.

John

Not for the program off the nokia website, but if you want tomtom style directions from the gps then thats like £40-60 for 2 years.

thats not too bad, is it accurate or does it send u off clifes?

Fighting the corner of the samsung tocco...

Samsung have recently released a firmware upgrade F480XXHJ4 (i believe) which fixes the call dropping issue.

also pictures are sharper, menus are faster, and apparently there was a problem with the music player? (i never had a problem)

I just found a portugese "hugo boss" firmware and flashed it with that.

oooh...stylish...

My mate has just got the C905 I think, Is that the 8.1 MP camera one?

Thats a damn good phone. Cyber-shot take brilliant pictures.

Edited by DAS HAPPIWAGEN