Telly Addicts...

Clairey Fairy

Right, i think i know the answer is going to be "you're screwed" but i'll give it a go...

My house mates boss have given us his 42inch Panasonic Viera TV. Problem is, i think its fecked beyond repair. Basically it turns on, but only half of the screen works. I havent seen it myself, but apparently its exactly half, right down the middle of the screen. I thought things like LCD/plasma type things that break cant be fixed and we'd be best off chucking it into a skip? Are these things easy to repair?

Also, he didnt give us any cables what so ever, so we need to find one of those some how...ive had a look in the back of the telly and it looks like one of those old school kettle wires?! Ive searched on Panasonic's website for all of the information i can, but it seems that they dont even make this type of telly anymore.

Model number is TH-42PX60B

Any help appreciated, personally i think we need to chuck it in the skip!!

:lol:

A kettle lead can be had from any electrical shop. An old PC should have one if you have one laying about.

In terms of the screen it sounds fecked. If there is no damage to the panel then its the electronics inside. Worth a call to panasonic to see what they say. It might not cost alot to fix.

Worth a call to panasonic to see what they say. It might not cost alot to fix.

Someone loosely mentioned £200ish, but its not like its just a smashed screen or anything...Jess had some idea involving a hammer - but im really not keen on insurance fraud :lol:

I very much doubt it, but it would be lovely for you if it just had PAP activated, lol. Thats like PIP (picture in picture) but it splits the screen in half, lol

My old TV used to do that. Loved that thing it was awesome. God bless LG.

Does a kettle lead sound right btw? Seems so 80s for something thats not even a few years old :wacko:

yeah. you can still get loadsa stuff with kettle leads these days. Think our telly downstairs uses one too. think the correct term is IEC cable. you can get em off ebay.

Edited by Rattic

i hate people who smash their **** up just because they have insurance... to get a new for old... scummers if you ask me...

send it in for repair.. they will quote you to fix it.. if its beyond economical repair then tell them to recycle it.

you can get tv's on 0% buy now pay later.. there is no excuse to smash one and claim off the home insurance...

they are not even that expensive now either. rant over

i hate people who smash their **** up just because they have insurance... to get a new for old... scummers if you ask me...

send it in for repair.. they will quote you to fix it.. if its beyond economical repair then tell them to recycle it.

you can get tv's on 0% buy now pay later.. there is no excuse to smash one and claim off the home insurance...

they are not even that expensive now either. rant over

Well said!

No respect for anything gets on my tits! :angry2:

...they are indeed scummers and should be shot, hense why i said at the start of this thread that i dont agree with it!

shoulda got a sony :P

haha :lol:

If someone gave me a panasonic tv i'd be offended :(

My Viera plasma is brilliant, so I don't care :P So good in fact, I'm thinking of buying another with Freesat built in.

Heyy :D

I work in a Eletrical Shop :P no it aint curry or anythin like that lol ..

and i sell Things like thiss .. plus .. Ur better of gettin a new tv Thease days

because the cost of repairing it sillyy :P lol

And like someone saidd

SONYY all the way ;)

Panasonic said it will be a new screen....which i think is aload of balls coz the actual screen (eg, the black glass bit is fine...) ie no cracks or owt so im thinking its an internal problem....unless thats what Panasonic mean when they say we need a new screen :huh:

either way, we're looking at £600ish

:)

shoulda got a sony :P

haha :lol:

If someone gave me a panasonic tv i'd be offended :(

Errr what!?

They are making some of the best TV's out there at the moment! Getting the best reviews for PQ etc.

Apart from Pioneer of course ;)

Errr what!?

They are making some of the best TV's out there at the moment! Getting the best reviews for PQ etc.

You heard me ;)

I'm really pleased with my Panasonic, great TV. Now if I was given a Goodmans or Bush, then I'd be offended :lol:

if someone gave you one of them...

you know they are trying to tell you something :lol: :lol:

Errr what!?

Yeah, too right. The Pannys are excellent kit. People automatically think that Sony is best, which it often isn't.