BMW E30 or Merc 190

vworks41

Byron had a black E30 325i sport. It was a cool car! He just slammed on it a set of Alpinas and it looked mint! Don't know if I have any digital pics (it was in the olden days .. about 6 years ago) I'll have a look. I found it like a tank to drive, but I was only 17 and hadn't been driving that long, so I suppose anything bigger than my Saxo would!!! He loved it and totally regretted selling it - it was such a fun car. One of our mates is currently selling a silver one - totally mint.

** Found this ...

E30325iSport.jpg

Ok, not of the car, but its there!

Edited by Linz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Mercedes admit that they had over-engineering the 190E whilst they were developing it?

What? :lol:

You think thats a bad thing?

It was developed to be a rally car.

But Audi came along just before hand with the quatro.

They quickly turned there attention to Track racing which required more road cars than would have been required for rallying.

Its built like a tank, never goes wrong and has race car suspenion, brakes and engine and diff.

What more do you want from a car!

:lol: Tigz, I was backing it up. I love 190E's, awesome car :) A friend of mine has a 2.3 Cosworth. It has done 250k miles, and is still going strong B)

The e30's are cool feck and would definitely have one in my fantasy garage ;)

But the 190's are so well built and can do galactic mileage if well maintained. That’s one of the reasons I want one, it will be great for the slog to work and back every day and would last many years if I was lucky enough to find a low mileage example.

Ermm more pics :lol:

1218642381-3-116211.jpg

1195413133-34-85321.jpg

1203630511-5-87461.jpg

1203630510-2-87461.jpg

1225403402-1-87461.jpg

2385265769_b59332515a_o.jpg

mercedes-benz_190_e_amg_1988_01_-1.jpg

1191795046-48381.jpg

amg-40-years-005.jpg

3033441621_a5bf2a159b_b.jpg

I'll probably end up with an 1.8 lol

Fair shout! I don't really think it matters to be honest, they all look the same! Just the 2.6 straight 6 would sound :wub:

All I know about the 190E...

Bad custom job innit

You want taxi innit?

and Sue Baker reviewed it on Top Gear when it came out and said it was not worth the extra money over a Sierra (or maybe even a Cortina). She knows her stuff.

I think Im also right in saying the 190e won more track races than the E30 which I think you will find gives it the biggest cock.

Yeah they did in the DTM, taking 50 victories, two constructor trophies and one driver’s trophy.

All I know about the 190E...

Bad custom job innit

You want taxi innit?

and Sue Baker reviewed it on Top Gear when it came out and said it was not worth the extra money over a Sierra (or maybe even a Cortina). She knows her stuff.

:lol: Top Gear voted it ‘The Best Used Car You Can Buy’....innit

I have run a 190e for just over 2 years now as my daily driver. It is a top spec (well electric everything inside, ABS - on a H reg so quite rare etc) and wheel trims and bland blue paint on the outside. It does everything I need it to, looks plain and not tempting to steal, has been bullit-proof reliable for the 30,000miles I have done in it and never gives me any hastle. 1991 H reg now with 193,000 miles on the clock. Did I mention it does not use oil or water, tight as an ant's arse...oh and it went through the MOT last month needing nothing more than rear brake pads and discs.

For comfort and dependability I would say get the Merc, a good one really will last you forever. HOWEVER, if it was to be a main car or for fun purposes I would get the E30. Yes the Merc will go sideways easily enough but the E30 looks nicer and with 325i or M-power it would be much cooler. A subtle modified E30 always looks good and if you want right hand drive (ie: not the M3) then a 325i sport is plenty good...awesome infact.

190 is like a fat old cat that sleeps all day and just sort of pokes its head up as you walk past and goes back to sleep.

E30 is like a kitten getting ready to pounce on you as you walk past the sofa. It'll climb up your leg and make you shake it frantically until all your left with his a huge tea stain down your front.

I have run a 190e for just over 2 years now as my daily driver. It is a top spec (well electric everything inside, ABS - on a H reg so quite rare etc) and wheel trims and bland blue paint on the outside. It does everything I need it to, looks plain and not tempting to steal, has been bullit-proof reliable for the 30,000miles I have done in it and never gives me any hastle. 1991 H reg now with 193,000 miles on the clock. Did I mention it does not use oil or water, tight as an ant's arse...oh and it went through the MOT last month needing nothing more than rear brake pads and discs.

For comfort and dependability I would say get the Merc, a good one really will last you forever. HOWEVER, if it was to be a main car or for fun purposes I would get the E30. Yes the Merc will go sideways easily enough but the E30 looks nicer and with 325i or M-power it would be much cooler. A subtle modified E30 always looks good and if you want right hand drive (ie: not the M3) then a 325i sport is plenty good...awesome infact.

Yep thats what i'm after. What engine have you got 1.8, 2.0?? Whats it like on fuel?

190 is like a fat old cat that sleeps all day and just sort of pokes its head up as you walk past and goes back to sleep.

E30 is like a kitten getting ready to pounce on you as you walk past the sofa. It'll climb up your leg and make you shake it frantically until all your left with his a huge tea stain down your front.

Thats about right....Hit the nail on the head!! :lol:

Yep thats what i'm after. What engine have you got 1.8, 2.0?? Whats it like on fuel?

Mine is the 2.0. Auto as well which ruins the fuel economy, averages about 26mpg regardless of it I take it easy for a full tank of fuel or thrash it for a full tank of fuel!!! Auto makes life easy for commuting and the manuals are not that good anyway. Not sporty in any way (read: rubbsih acceleration and slopy handling) but will cruise at 100mph all day every day in a smooth and relaxed fashion regardless of how many passenegers it is carrying.

Timing chain as well so no timing belt worries or bills.

When your in stop start traffic and big luxury auto car is the way forwards. My Volvo had huge big leather sofa type seats in and it was so comfortable in traffic. Just recline and occasionally let of the brake when traffic starts moving.