Armistice Day

Fran

College took the easy way out and left it personal choice. That is a heap of crap, 'cause if you are trying to observe and spend a little time reflecting it seems disrespectful when people are talking, phones are ringing etc...

We in the UK are far to PC and worry too much about other nationalities and religions feelings. They don't have to agree with it, but they can have the respect to shut up and let us get on with it.

I take myself off to a quiet place with a nice view across to the Cairngorms and have my thoughts for those lost.

I actually feel Rememberance Day should be a national holiday with the services and silences being held when they are most poignant.

1100, 11th of 11th the time the Great War ended.

On the other hand I feel it should still only be 1 minute long, as it was first intended.

Raise a glass to lost oppo's!!!

I think theres still loads of old people whos parents died.

Dont think it will stop until that generation has left.. but saying that, I think they also think about WW2 and the current war times as well.

I dont mind it, I like to see the parades.

I just go for a smoke at the time so I can talk to myself out of the way for two minutes.

YOu should shout FREEDOM at the top of your voice and hurl your fag butt into the parade!

We did the 2 minutes silence, they had a mini memorial service on the roundabout in Skipton we watched from the window. The centre of Skipton was quiet for 2 minutes, it was surreal because Skipton is never quiet!

Then about 5 seconds before the 2 minutes were up someone's mobile phone rang outside and as soon as the 2 minutes were up the office phone rang! - some sales person!

Vinny

As all the Germans who were involved are now dead and there's only three British guys left all well over 100, so not long left you'd imagine, should we now confine it to history or maybe as soon as there are no living survivors? Don't stop for silence for any of the 18th or 19th century battles that claimed huge numbers of British people.

Interesting but naive statement I think - there have been wars since WWI and WWII, and people still suffer as a result of them. It was a massive historical event, and really should not be so readily burried in history. There are also many dedicated graveyards and monuments that need funding, some that could otherwise not be cared for as nobody knows who was burried there, and I think they're a fairly important reminder.

true but why not make it a whole day to remember all the war fallen rather than relating to world war one and have a specific holiday. It was a significant event but now that there are almost nobody who really remembers it we should stop banging on about it, still a lot of anti-german feelings etc. and have to leave it behind sometime. If it's not kept current people will start forgetting about it as is already happening.

Edited by Crusoe

Tbh, I think that's what it has become. And I don't think that's a bad thing... WW1 was a pretty collosal event, 20 million people killed. Personally I used the two minutes to thank my lucky stars I wasn't around to be one of them, and to begin to consider what it might have felt like even as a survivor who witnessed it. Then I considered that there are people (less of them, granted) still going through that today.

I guess if people don't partake then you can't force them to (unless you're their boss!), and should probably respect their decision not to - after all that's pretty much the freedom that was fought for.

I don't understand the anti-German feelings. Take a lead from one of the veterans of WW1 and think of the Germans involved also. I would further that and include all other opposing forces involved in conflicts.

They too were conscripted into wars they maybe didn't want.

I feel the WWs are used as an excuse to promote football violence and other violent, supposedly Pro British/English past times.

Terrorists are a different matter.

there were only 3 of us at work that day and we all completely forgot, i rememberd at about 1!

however, imo it is up to each person when they have their minute of silence, just because they don't do it at the internationally accepted time that the war stopped, doesn't mean they don't hold it later, or on another day that one of their relatives died on. they may see it as a more personal or family thing to do and want to do it with their family around them or at the grave of their relative.

as long as you show respect to the whole then missing the mins silence should bring accusations of disrespect.

i do reckon it should be a national holiday to honour them all, but as most of the ceremonys are held on sunday i can't see this happening.

We did the 2 minutes silence, they had a mini memorial service on the roundabout in Skipton we watched from the window. The centre of Skipton was quiet for 2 minutes, it was surreal because Skipton is never quiet!

Then about 5 seconds before the 2 minutes were up someone's mobile phone rang outside and as soon as the 2 minutes were up the office phone rang! - some sales person!

Vinny

We don't want your type in Skipton!! Go back to Keighley!! :P