TDI brakes 256mm or 239?

biggaz

Although some slipped through the net as we found out at work the other day.

If the pads have claws on the back 239mm, If they have no Claws on the back 256mm

Edited by nfbr

When I've asked for TDI brakes at a motor factors they gave me 239mm ones, I had to take them back since they were too small. I got some listed for a Polo TDI in the end, so 256mm is the correct size.

The 1.4s petrol uses 239mm!

When I've asked for TDI brakes at a motor factors they gave me 239mm ones, I had to take them back since they were too small. I got some listed for a Polo TDI in the end, so 256mm is the correct size.

The 1.4s petrol uses 239mm!

Oh yes i remember that!

IIRC the 1.4s brakes are also on the 1.0 Lupo too.

Odd that there are TDis with smaller brakes.

This might not be totally correct but IIRC The 256's are 20mm width and the 239's either 9 or 18mm wide.

When I first bought pads for my Lupo TDI, I ended up buying Ferodo ones listed for a Golf 2 GTI 16v lol.

Edited by nfbr

I had the same problem as Jon, and was given discs and pads for a 1.4 petrol lupo. I ended up getting ones for a 1.9TDi polo, or thats what it said on the box.

Odd.

1.4 petrols seem to have shocking brakes, yet my 1.0 arosa which doesn't have vented discs are spot on, lots more feel and bite to them - and really, i doubt brake fade will happen on a 1.0 :lol:

So im not sure if thats more down to the brake servo on 1.4s, but i wouldn't want that on a TDi!

I had the same problem as Jon, and was given discs and pads for a 1.4 petrol lupo. I ended up getting ones for a 1.9TDi polo, or thats what it said on the box.

Odd.

1.4 petrols seem to have shocking brakes, yet my 1.0 arosa which doesn't have vented discs are spot on, lots more feel and bite to them - and really, i doubt brake fade will happen on a 1.0 :lol:

So im not sure if thats more down to the brake servo on 1.4s, but i wouldn't want that on a TDi!

All measured up 256mm on my TDI :D

• 9 months later...

Sorry to unbury this topic.

I bought new brake discs for my tdi this week. The guy from the store wanted to sell me 239mm discs because that was on his list. I brought home 256mm because i know thats what is on the car. However i'm having an issue with the pads because i'm buying them online. Sample images from EBC pads. Can anyone confirm if the pads for the tdi are...

...like this...

DP1112.jpg

...or like this

DP1064.jpg

I think it's the first ones, but can anyone tell me for sure? Thank you for your help!

edit: smaller images

Edited by ptLupo

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they all have drums (boo :thumbdown:).

You mean an easy conversion to discs? Yes I think so, but you need the handbrake cables off the car with discs (theres a thread with part numbers somewhere IIRC)

The only downside to drums is that they don't look as nice as calipers. IMO they are no better/worse performance wise than the 239mm rear disc setup on the sports

And a suppose they're not really that easy to upgrade either, as with a disk setup you can have vented/grooved/drilled and uprated pads, so that way they're a little better over standard.

so the fronts are the same as the petrol sports, 256mm. good to know as i can swap the discs and pads over from the lupo.

Cheers.