Which is the most ECONOMICAL Lupo?

jw8725

lupo 3l will do 3L/100km aka 20miles per litre or 90mpg however import only could have one in this country for under 3k but in lhd only i shall be doing this in the near future

Lupo Tdi sport most economical uk spec there is a topic somewhere about it my mums polo has the same engine and achieves 60mpg although more like 40 with me driving

1.0/1.4s aren't very economical due to being underpowered

my gti does 27mpg in everyday driving and about 45mpg on a run on trackdays it drops below 20 though

Either the 1.0 or 1.4 tdi thats not including the 3l. around town you would probably find the 1.0 is better but for long trips the tdi would always win. The sport has got to be the most thirsty. The gti has variable values and must have slightly less drag because it seems to be better than the sport. I wish i had got a tdi sport i would be running it on used vegi oil.

Edited by Unheard

1.4s aren't very economical due to being underpowered

:lol: so knowledgeable aren't you!

If 45mpg isn't very economical then yes you're right.

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

No, it was actually over 80mpg. :o

You must bear in mind that MPG is very difficult to measure in a lupo due to the lack of trip computer, however anything near 80mpg is very very impressive.

I had a 1.8 20v Passat once upon a time - on running it in I decided to try an economy run and got 55mpg out of that.

Mines got a trip computer?

It's a 1.4s and I get an average of 40-45mpg with a heavy right foot!

No Lupo came with one as standard... pics please!

trip computer was an option.

you cant get that much with a heavy right foot?! surely!?

(And the trip computer was never an option - there is no 'standard fit' trip computer for the Lupo.)

I think the most economical UK models in terms of fuel consumption would be either of the Diesels (1.4 TDI or 1.7 SDI). Despite driving my SDI with an extremely heavy foot a few times it has never gone below 53mpg, driven with a little more thought it will give 60+mpg at 80mph and I have seen the high 60’s on a few occasions. The 3L’s are extraordinarily economical BUT their gearboxes and management systems are very complex and they are all getting older. Economy is not just about fuel consumption, a major gearbox problem with a 3L would make it an extremely uneconomical Lupo.

And finally, the most economical Lupo would be the TDI Arosa….

A 3L would be the most economical, next the SDi and TDi.

Anyone ever tried driving v. economically on a TDI?

Yes, I got 67.5mpg on the trip to edition and back this year.

I've also averaged 60mpg over the last 800 miles, and that includes plenty of enthusiastic driving since the remap!

The worst I've seen is about 52-54mpg over the winter months. TDi's don't seem to like cold starts.

:lol: so knowledgeable aren't you!

If 45mpg isn't very economical then yes you're right.

NOCK

I do appolagise just i remember a topic with fuel economy on 1.0's and they weren't doing much better than my gti and i thought someone had said there 1.4s isn't much better

Ignore me with the trip computer nonsense, I was having a "not thinking properly moment" and assumed you meant they don't a trip meter jobbie. Miles away I was!

Either way though, the computers use some odd info to calculate MPG, and nothing is more accurate than just working it out by brimming the tank each time and working it out from distance covered.

My car may be so economical because it is burning about 10% as much oil as it is petrol :lol:

On a steady motorway run (70mph) I'll get just under 60mpg, but every day I see 40mpg pretty consistently.

Which is a nice change from my old 106, which with a 1.3 engine managed 20mpg if I was steady. Changing this for a 1.6 16v improved it to 26! Woo!

1.0s arnt great on fuel, since you do have to work them. With pure town use my 1.0 gets 40 MPG, and with mixed driving around 45MPG. Although some 1.0 owners on here often get 50MPG plus.

My TDi seems to average around 55-60MPG, although on a run it tends to be low 60s, but it varies hugely on my TDi, some times i struggle to get 55 on a run. Mind i never sit below 70 on the motorway.

The best ive has was 74MPG, on two occasions. One was doing 180 miles of just motorway driving, having filled up at the start of the motorway and filled again at the end, that was doing 70mph all the way too. Its an economical speed in the TDi.

Fuel wise id say 1.4 sport and GTi would be similar, 1.0, 1.4 75, and then the TDi and SDi

Mines got a trip computer?

It's a 1.4s and I get an average of 40-45mpg with a heavy right foot!

I have a MPG computer, but its an aftermarkt one, which i have checked on brim to brim checks and its pretty near. You couldn't get one standard on the lupo ... Other than the 3L iirc.

I think your 1.4s economy is pretty good!

Edited by cardaft