Hey Roomie

Clairey Fairy

a decent shower, internet, solid concrete floors, not having to be a tree hugging hippy........ need i go on?

Apart from the concrete floor (it's dead thick steel) it's got the lot, even a proper fitted kitchen! Mind you, emptying the poo tank can be interesting.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why so high pricey clairey and yet wages sooo low, thats some weird area. What do u do for a living?

I work for the Ministry Of Defence:( Too busy playing war in Iraq which costs loads to care about my wages. Salisbury has always been a relatively expensive place to live, which kinda sucks coz it really isnt *that* great. For families is great, but for little ol' me its a right mickey take.

Apart form 1 other, im the only one in my circle of friends that didnt go to Uni, so i cant ask them to share with me. Cant help thinking that the rooms advertised in the newsagent and flatmateclick.com are making a few pennies on the side...?

I was supposed to be born a Princess i swear :rolleyes:

To be honnest i might aswell give up the search, im too much of a snob to spend 400 squids just to live in someone else's house and have to pick their hairs out the plughole in our shared bathrrom etc.

Fancy moving out Si?! :lol:

To be honnest i might aswell give up the search, im too much of a snob to spend 400 squids just to live in someone else's house and have to pick their hairs out the plughole in our shared bathrrom etc.

Fancy moving out Si?! :lol:

pay for somewhere with an ensuite bathroom then.

tbh on 12.5k i don't think you should be considering moving out if you have any other considerable bills to pay each month. if anything happens to your car for example and you need to spend out a load of cash, then you will be slightly screwed.

i like having a flatmate....

It means the flat is kept tidy and cleaned more often... There is always someone around to feed the fish and the cat..... plus the extra money comes in handy.... i basically don't pay my mortgage.... :lol:

My flat mate is a shift worker. He is at work when I am off and vice versa. So i only ever see him in passing.

All of my friends either house share in london or have a flatmate in there flat....

i have flatmates too, but i work with them and we all get on really well and before i lived with them i used to go out all the time with them, so wasn't much of a change for me to be spending more time with them as we already knew each other well. we all have ensuite bathrooms so no sharing.

Clairey, is that £300 including bills? or what? cos with bills that's pretty good.

As i don't know what problems your having living at home, (having to move home after 4 years at uni and having a sound mum and stepdad, i dunno what problems you could have luckily) but could you not sit them down and discuss house rules, chores and stuff as you're now an adult. YOu could say that you will contribute more money to the house hold and do more chores, cooking once a week etc to be treated more like a flatmate than a child of the house? YOu have to do more to get more, the more you contribute the more say you should have in how you run your life and what you get to do.

just a thought.

Most of the the time, no - bills are extra so its more like 400.

Its pretty bad to be honnest, we do have some good days, but the bad far outweighs it. My rent has increased slightly, and no matter how many times ive suggested making a few changes (Simple things like dont go in my room, and for the love of god quit opening my mail etc etc) it just ends up with me being screamed at and the subject being pooh-poohed and we're back to square one.

I think for my own H&S im just going to have to put up with paying what i think is expensive to live in someone's room. This gorwn-up stuff is stressful :lol:

Most of the the time, no - bills are extra so its more like 400.

Its pretty bad to be honnest, we do have some good days, but the bad far outweighs it. My rent has increased slightly, and no matter how many times ive suggested making a few changes (Simple things like dont go in my room, and for the love of god quit opening my mail etc etc) it just ends up with me being screamed at and the subject being pooh-poohed and we're back to square one.

I think for my own H&S im just going to have to put up with paying what i think is expensive to live in someone's room. This gorwn-up stuff is stressful :lol:

you do realise that £400 inc bills really isn't that bad?

if you find a place that has a live-out landlord who literally just rents out the rooms to various random people, then you have equal rights to use all parts of the house, you just need to assert yourself and not let the other housemates make you feel like you can't.

They shouldnt be opening your mail, that is out of order.

I know the bloody cheeky sods! They've been doing it ever sinse i was young, curiosity gets the better of them. Ive even gone as far as to think i put to put a Yale Lock on my door. Im paying to live there right? So im entitled to my privacy. But no, because they are my parents im forced to think "well its their house i cant tell them what they can and cant do"

Found a double bedroom for £270 inc all bills on the outskirts of Salisbury..........

I know the bloody cheeky sods! They've been doing it ever sinse i was young, curiosity gets the better of them. Ive even gone as far as to think i put to put a Yale Lock on my door. Im paying to live there right? So im entitled to my privacy. But no, because they are my parents im forced to think "well its their house i cant tell them what they can and cant do"

Found a double bedroom for £270 inc all bills on the outskirts of Salisbury..........

don't go for the cheapest place u can, it might be a **** hole.

Quite frankly Claire I would be telling them you won't pay them any rent anymore if they continue to treat you like that! Basically as a child still - and children stay in the family home for nothing ;)

If you are paying rent, then they have to treat you like they would a lodger, so not going into your room, or opening your mail (except by accident, which my mum has been know to do in the past :lol:), or other such things. That's completely out of order to me!

i'd sit them down and let them know your thinking of moving out, tell them why and say that if they can't treat you like an adult and respect your privacy then you'll have no other option but to leave.

they shouldn't object to a few ground rules to keep you sane, as you said you're paying your keep no matter how much/little you are giving them your acting like an adult, you should be treated as one.

go see that cheap room if i were you, it might be nicer than you think.. just cos it's cheap doesn't mean it's dismal may mean there are lots of folk living there tho or there's some sort of compromise involved in living arrangements.

Keep an eye out for broken things (windows, tiles, bathroom cleanliness, check the actual toilet seat and under it for cleaness, sounds minging but trust me you want to know now how minging things will get in there!) if anything looks dodge or super unclean (like it's not been cleaned or fixed in a loooong time leave, you'll only end up doing it yourself)

Don't be afriad to ask stupid questions etc.. ask if you can decorate your own room should the decor not be to your taste, if he can store any furniture in your room that you don't want/need, if you're allowed pets (should you suddenly wish to have any it's always nice to know before hand)

also if they ask you questions that your unsure of what to say, just say so, like, can they get references from your work or whatever (be abit wary if they ask for work references my mate got some odd letters at her work after she gave a potential landlord her works address), say they can when you decide if you want to stay there, ask for a copy of the contract and show it to someone who has a rough idea what they're looking at, i would take references along when you decide you want to live anywhere rather than let them get them themselves (unless it's a letting company rather than the actual owner).

Assuming your sharing a house with others, see if you can speak to other tenants without the landlord standing next to you.

Also, if the landlord expects you do to things around the house (such as gardening, they should provide you with the means to do so, it is not up to you to provide that sort of equipment), ask if they have a maintenance contract set up with their gas and electricity provider(s) the up keep of this equipment is up to the landlord not the tenants. if there is a gas fire ask to see the service certificate, if he doesn't have one, DO NOT EVER USE IT!!!!

ask to see the boiler, if it's a gas one and has scorch marks on it near the flame housing WALK AWAY.

if your paying for bills separately from your rent ask how much they are generally and how they pay (quarterly, monthly debit, as it comes in etc) , who's name is on the bill (everyone in the house should be named on the bill, no one person should be in charge!!)

you probably know all that already, but just in case :D

good luck tho, hope your parents become reasonable rather than you moving out.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, cheers dude!

I'll be putting this into practice tonight as im going to have another look at a double room plus use of house i saw on friday. The live-in landlord is a local radio presenter and seems a genuinely nice bloke...Dad is furious im even considering living with a 40something completle stranger of a man all by myself. Its got a garden, cute litttle front lawn and he said im allowed to plant stuff (only to watch them die probally - i couldnt even grow cress in science) bathroom is brand new and im even allowed to keep Snowy in a garage. Oh, and there's one more bonus.

The Landlord is Geordie.

:lol:

I bet you look fetching in a loin cloth :lol:

OH YEEEESSSS If you decide to give it a go i'll come give ya a hand I've seen bear gryls we could be a modern tarzan and jane just fater (in my case that is)

Edited by matt~black